PG Questions re: timing and snorkeling

My husband and I are looking at booking a Regent PG 10 day cruise in January. After reading the CC and member reviews we have a few questions:

1. We read that you can snorkel off the water sports platform but then we were told by a travel agent that snorkeling off the back is not allowed. For those of you who have taken this cruise, what is your experience?
  2. Is it necessary to take shore excursions to get to the good snorkeling areas?
  3. How is the weather in January? Specifically, is the ship very rocky? Is it always rocky because of the size of the ship or is there a better time to sail? Bottom line: what are the chances we will be seasick:confused: ?

Thanks for any help you can give us!

We read that you can snorkel off the water sports platform but then we were told by a travel agent that snorkeling off the back is not allowed. For those of you who have taken this cruise, what is your experience?
No, you cannot snorkel off the sport platform because there is where all the water sport loading and unloading area. You will get hit by the kayak, water skier, wind surfer, and scuba zodiac!
Is it necessary to take shore excursions to get to the good snorkeling areas?
Yes and no. Yes, you can snorkel for free during Bora Bora and Motu Mahana beach party day. No, for some of the best snorkel locations are at the deeper area only boat will get you there (excursion).
How is the weather in January? Specifically, is the ship very rocky? Is it always rocky because of the size of the ship or is there a better time to sail? Bottom line: what are the chances we will be seasick?
Tahiti is the opposite from USA for season, January will be their summer. Hot, humid and rain storm. Yes, PG is a small ship and it will rock, but because most of the traveling between islands are done at night. When the ship anchored during the day, the rocking was OK. I never get seasick and I was fine, but my husband was turning blue on the 2nd day, so bring a patch or two if you worry. ;)

Have a good time!

Cindy

Archived