Glory 6/23..just off, long review

TxStacey

Great review. I leave on the Glory on 60 days. I've never sailed out of Port Canaveral before so I have a couple of questions. Sis and I are VIP so is the embarkation for VIP clearly marked (not that it sounded like you had any trouble in the other line). And I'm confused about the debarkation and waiting on your bags on a carousel??? We have a relatively early flight and will probably do self assist and VIP self assist if it's offered, but if not do you have to wait like in an airport??? If so we will probably definately go with self assist.

OKgirl,

I would DEFINITELY do self assist debakation! I see that you are from Dallas. If you have sailed out of Galveston, they have the luggage seperated by decks. Not at Port Canaveral..It is on a carousel just like the airport. It took FOREVER for our luggage to arrive. The immigration line took much longer than Galveston also. Embarkation was wonderful compared to Galveston..You will love the port. I did not notice the VIP line but it sould be clearly marked. If you are doing the Eastern itenerary, you will have to fill out a customs form for the Bahama's when you get to the terminal. Have a great trip and if you have any more questions, I would be glad to answer!

Hi Stacy, great review of the Glory. I was on the same trip with you but I had the late dinner seating in the Golden Dining Room. I never noticed a lull between dinner and entertainment. In fact, the nights were there were only one night, we usually had to try our best to finish up dinner so we could get to find seats. (By the way, the chair hogs are not just on just grabbing deck chairs, they are in the Amber Palace holding seats. One night, we actually saw some of the robes laid across entire sections of seating.)

However, I must respectfully disagree in terms of the new cruise director, Ryan. Admittedly, this was my first cruise but I felt he was really good. His announcements were always clear and crisp. He also seemed to have a genuine smile each time I saw him whether on stage, talking to cruise members, or out in port. I also found the assistant cruise director to be a lot of fun as well. Because of these boards, I knew it was Ryan's first week yet I would have never suspected it by watching him.

All in all, I am completely impressed with the Glory. The colors are beautiful, the ship's crew/staff are friendly, and St. Maarten is wonderful. I can pass on Nassau and St. Thomas again. For my group, it was all our first cruise, and as we were leaving, we were all commenting that we can't wait for our "gold" sail and sign cards on our next cruise.

One other thing, we had dinner at 6:15 so that's why we had a lull.. We were usually done with dinner about 7:30-7:45 and most activites didn't start until at least 9:00. I would go with the later dinner like you had to avoid the lull.

does the fish & chips still have the boulibase (spell?) soup? we will be on the glory 10/20/07. looking forward. it will be our 2nd time on glory. any other info will be appreciated. thanks

We did not get anything up there so I cannot answer your question. It seemed to be pretty popular though.

Enjoyed your review very much.

Glad you like the Radisson- we have stayed there 2 years in a row- happily.

Thanks for your port reviews. Very informative.

thanks! I thought the Raddisson was awesome, especially at the rate of $109.00 for June! I would stay there again with no hesitation. Now I'm having PCD really bad and need to book another cruise fast:eek: !!

does the fish & chips still have the boulibase (spell?) soup? we will be on the glory 10/20/07. looking forward. it will be our 2nd time on glory. any other info will be appreciated. thanks

Yes they still have the soup. This was my favorite place for lunch. I loved the fish and chips and the Onion Fritter. Was on the same time as TxStacey, last week.

TXStacey-

Thanks for the great review. I found it very helpful, especially the tips you gave. We are going on our first cruise in 30 days on the Glory. We are also staying on the Riviera deck but on the opposite end (rm 1215). I have added bringing an air freshener to my list. Great idea. We have the late dinner time so I am not too worry about the lull. We could always read on deck or go for a walk or rest!

Any other advise about the Glory? I think your information about the aft pool will be helpful. I love to layout and enjoy a dip in the pool but I am not keen on the crowds or fighting for a chair. That to me is not relaxing and enjoyable. I do like crowds and fun times but only if I have my space to return to and enjoy.

Thanks again!:)

TXStacey-

Thanks for the great review. I found it very helpful, especially the tips you gave. We are going on our first cruise in 30 days on the Glory. We are also staying on the Riviera deck but on the opposite end (rm 1215). I have added bringing an air freshener to my list. Great idea. We have the late dinner time so I am not too worry about the lull. We could always read on deck or go for a walk or rest!

Any other advise about the Glory? I think your information about the aft pool will be helpful. I love to layout and enjoy a dip in the pool but I am not keen on the crowds or fighting for a chair. That to me is not relaxing and enjoyable. I do like crowds and fun times but only if I have my space to return to and enjoy.

Thanks again!:)

Since this is your first cruise, you will absolutely love the Glory! I would recommend the aft pool, although there will be some kids back there, not as many.. You will want to watch your capers to see if there are any activites going on at the main pool that you might want to watch. You will get the capers for each day the night before in your cabin. Just be prepared to be hooked on cruising! There is nothing like it. Definitely bring a power strip, especially since you are planning to bring an air freshener..there is only one plug in the entire cabin..Have a great cruise!

Day 2- Nassau

We had booked rooms at the Comfort Suites so that we could have full access to the Atlantis resort pools. We got off the ship promptly at 8:00 a.m. and easily got a taxi van at the taxi stand. When we got the the Comfort Suites, we checked in and went directly to the Atlantis to get our wrist bands.. the only problem was that the booths to get them didn't open until 9:00 and the slides didn't open until 10:00. Ironically, we had some friends from home that were staying for a week at the resort and they met us at the pool and showed us around until we could get our wristbands. We went through the Dig which was interesting but I would not have paid the $29.00 to get in..Not worth it in my opinion. Once the slides opened, we had a blast! The resort is beautiful and I would love to stay there for a week..however, I couldn't justify the price when I can cruise for so much less..Cruising is such a bargain!

We caught a limo ($5.00 per person instead of $4.00) which the teens loved, and headed back to the ship at 1:00. We did not have time to go to the straw market as we had to be back on the ship by 1:30.

Did you actually check-out of the comfort Suites? How long did that take? Did they say anything about leaving so soon? We also rented a CS room so I am curious how much time I need to allow to get back to the ship. Where did you get the limo? My kids would love that!

Did you actually check-out of the comfort Suites? How long did that take? Did they say anything about leaving so soon? We also rented a CS room so I am curious how much time I need to allow to get back to the ship. Where did you get the limo? My kids would love that!

No we didn't check out of the CS. They knew exactly what we were doing and asked if we wanted to settle our acct. right then (when we checked in). We got the limo out in front of the main entrance to Atlantis..One of the dad's in our group just asked one of the limo drivers if he would take us back to the ship and he said he would for 5.00 per person.. We had 9 people so it was worth his while to do it..we tipped him well. The teens loved it.

That's great! I was hoping we wouldn't have to waste time going back to the CS to check-out. How were they at the CS front desk about using them for the pool pass? Are they OK with it? It's got to be a good source of revenue for them. Did you go to the room at all?

That's great! I was hoping we wouldn't have to waste time going back to the CS to check-out. How were they at the CS front desk about using them for the pool pass? Are they OK with it? It's got to be a good source of revenue for them. Did you go to the room at all?

Lol..we never even got the room keys..They know exactly what the cruiseship passengers are doing..They don't care because that's one less room they have to clean etc. It's a good deal for them.

Lol..we never even got the room keys..They know exactly what the cruiseship passengers are doing..They don't care because that's one less room they have to clean etc. It's a good deal for them.

Yeah! Thank you so much for the info! We are sailing 7/21 and have been really looking forward to seeing the Atlantis. My kids can't wait to do the slide through the shark tank. I've been a little nervous about the CS but not anymore!

Great review Stacy, we did the Glory E. Caribbean a few weeks before you and loved it. It's too bad Wee Jimmy was not still the cruise director for your trip as he was very good. We enjoyed him as much as Todd Wittmer on the Conquest. We loved all the ports and would also do this again. Orient beach was very nice and had lots of sights and we really loved the Bushwhackers at Paradise Point in St. Thomas. Got a 4 day cruise booked on the Fantasy in Oct. and hoping to go on the Liberty in April 2008.

Yeah! Thank you so much for the info! We are sailing 7/21 and have been really looking forward to seeing the Atlantis. My kids can't wait to do the slide through the shark tank. I've been a little nervous about the CS but not anymore!

You will love it.. It is worth the money even tough you aren't there for very long.. The new area that has the "lazy" river is a blast! It takes about 45 minutes to go through the whole thing but it is really cool! Make sure you get over there! You never have to get off of your tube. We got over to Atlantis a little before 9:00, got some chairs, and then went through The Dig since the slides don't open until 10:00. I would definitely try to be in a taxi/limo no later than 1:00 since you will have to be back on the ship by 1:30. It took us about 20-25 minutes to get a limo and make it back to the ship because of traffic and lights etc..You just don't want to push it. I will tell you, the folks at CS are in no hurry:) They won;t move as fast as you would like for them to...

Great review Stacy, we did the Glory E. Caribbean a few weeks before you and loved it. It's too bad Wee Jimmy was not still the cruise director for your trip as he was very good. We enjoyed him as much as Todd Wittmer on the Conquest. We loved all the ports and would also do this again. Orient beach was very nice and had lots of sights and we really loved the Bushwhackers at Paradise Point in St. Thomas. Got a 4 day cruise booked on the Fantasy in Oct. and hoping to go on the Liberty in April 2008.

So you have had Todd Wittmer also..You know what I mean when I say there is a difference in a great cruise director and an "okay" cruise director.. I had heard that Wee Jimmy was great and I was very bummed that we didn't have him...I need to book another cruise..you're doiing well to already have your next one booked:)

Yes Stacey, having a good CD can make a difference on how much more fun you can have on a cruise. We are hooked on cruising and the 4 day out of New Orleans is fairly cheap especially living here. This is a b day cruise for my wife who will be hitting the big 4 0 this year. Instead of a surprise party, I booked the cruise and got some family and friends to go as well. So far there will be 14 of us and possibly more.

Returns to the Glory on 24th August........after vacation!:)

He is one GREAT Cruise Director and a personal friend of mine! There's nothing like a Scot meeting you wearing a 'kilt' on Formal Night!

Just booked to cruise with him (again) on the Glory on 1st September 07! It will be my 4th cruise on the Carnival Glory and my second cruise with Carnival in 4 months (did the Valor in mid May 07) and my 34th Carnival cruise......

Archived