Hong Kong to Istanbul 2009

cwn

We are looking at this cruise and have actualy put a deposit on the classic suite- 02. Has anyone had this suite? Is the balcony large enough for lounging? A private balcony is very important to us as is the extra cabin space. Looks like the railing around the front of the ship might block the veiw from the living area, does it?

The itinerary is wonderful. We are interested in the cruise line's overland trips to the Taj Mahal and Angkor Wat. Has anyone done either of these trips? How was the transportation, the hotels?

We have taken 1 to 3 week cruise vacations once or twice a year for the past 20 years on HAL, Curard, Silver Seas and Princess with the old Royal Princess being our favorite ship. We like the smaller ships, but bigger seems to be the name of the game these days. Princess has been our favorite line mainly because we liked the itineraries and their food and the willingness to work with my food issues.

I would love any information on life on the Spirit for 2 months. Has anyone done this itinerary this year?

Thanks.

We certainly enjoyed the Classic Suite. The balcony is small...I loved having the door open by my bed as I slept...so wonderful. The veiw from the living room as I recall it...You look out onto a little used deck with a hot tub. It is just around the corner from your suite...kind of a nice get-a-way for privacy. I did find it windy. A funny sidelight. The windows are darkened and you can see out, but no one can see in. One day, some german psgrs [women] decided to disrobe and sunbathe...right under our window. My husband was in peeping Tom heaven.

Too funny. My husband would love that!! Seriously though, can you see over the railing (hot tub area) to the sea and horizon beyond, like from cabins on the sides of the ship.

Too funny. My husband would love that!! Seriously though, can you see over the railing (hot tub area) to the sea and horizon beyond, like from cabins on the sides of the ship.

My recollection..is that your real view of the water is from your balcony. Of course you can see out the windows to the deck...but that would be a distance...as opposed to the windows on a regular suite that look directly to the water. Another feature that is different from the other suites. You have several small closets..rather than one large one. We had to think it thru..put long in one..casual in one..etc. I suggest that you look it over and and make a plan..so that you don't have to wonder..now which closet is my favorite dress in. We really enjoyed it. It was a luxury. We have since always done the suites with the Fr. balcony and without. The cost is significant. Have a great trip!

just be aware that being right at the front of the ship you will feel ALL the sea movement. we were at the front on the Panama Canal cruise last year and had some rough seas and our cabin was like a bucking bronco. Our friends in midship hardly felt a thing.

we would not have a forward cabin again.

Thanks. Yes, we know that the farward and the aft cabins have more motion. We love the movement, even when it is rough. We always take a cabin as far farward or aft as possible. My husband is always disappointed with a milk pond cruise. We did a northern transaltantic on the Silver Wind, had to dodge a huricane serveral years ago, but still had plenty of high seas. It was his favorite cruise!

My biggest concern is the cabin. We like to spend alot of time in the cabin on the sea days reading, napping and watching the sea go by, just seem to need cabin space...that and interesting ports with great tours or just exploring the ports on our own! I'm wondering if the only view from the windows in the living area is the deck and sky due to a deep(long) bow and/or a high railing around it. These cabins are way to expensive to look at metal for 54 days! Seabourn doesn't do a good job showing pictures of the insides of the cabins!

Are there any shore experiences on the SE Asia/Middle East run that are not to be missed? Part of the area will be new to us. I have heard that Seabourn usually does a good job on shore activities.

Grannie Lorr and her husband did that route last year. Her blog with pics is very interesting. A search will turn up it's URL. I am sure that others here have done parts of it as well.

I will be doing some of this fall, and then in '08 I plan on doing Dubai to Singapore with the trip to the Taj Mahal. (That's really the only reason I am going.)

Well after spending the day searching old posts, I found some actual pictures of the Classic Suite and balcony. The living area looks great and the balcony has enough room for me to sit out and read(sleep!). I'm not nearly as social as my husband and didn't realize that we would have such good(fast access) to a public front deck-guess I was thinking it was a crew only area. My husband loves that, as he likes to be on deck with others and at the front of the ship for GPS readings and pictures. So even if the view from the cabin is not great, he doesn't have to go far to get to his favorite area. Thanks for all the help. Still looking for things we shouldn't miss in the Middle East ports of call.

CWN.....if you are interested at all in my Blog, you can find it in the very first part of the Cruise Critics Boards under "Cruise Blogs and Websites"....mine is called "Granny Cruises Half the World." It may give you some ideas about some of the places you are going.

GrannyLorr, thanks for all your info. I had found your Blog. Enjoyed reading it and will take some notes from it.

Did I read somewhere that you are going to SA in the future. We will be in Argentina for 10 days in Jan before joining the Polar Star's attempt to sail from Ushuaia to the Circle and back for one of the serval landings along the way.

CWN.....yes we will be onboad the Pride for the SA Circumnavigation from the 5th January to 17th March 2008....then staying on for the Crossing....85 wonderful days! If I don't receive one of those "survival kits" after that, I'm afraid Seabourn will have my welfare on their conscience! ;)

That sounds wonderful...85 days! Our longest has been 22 days, I could easily be one of these people who spend most of the year cruising. I love being at sea. The shore days are iust an extra plus!

On the other hand my husband gets a little antsy if there are to many sea days in a row. The North Pacfic crossing was a little trying for him! The Spirit's itinerary has a nice mix of sea and shore days. He was the one who found it first and showed it to me-big mistake if he didn't want to do it!

I did sugest the other day that maybe we could do an Atlantic crossing home, one of the short ones to NY after we got off the Spirit. He said, if there was one that worked for our timing it sounded like fun-I nearly fell over! But as time gets closer and our other plans firm up, I may just hold him to it. I hate the long haul flights!

Glad you are on the mend, thanks for all your advice! I gather you live in Australia. We are looking forward to our visit there. Can't wait to start planning the details. Our daughter was an exchange student about 10 years ago. She fell in love with the country.

cwn, check out the "crossing sale" on Cunard's website. Cunard is offering discounted 6 night crossings between Southampton and NYC on QM2 with free upgrades to balcony cabins in certain instances. For the price of a business class air ticket you can sail for 6 nights across the Atlantic as opposed to 5 hours flying. That would be a no-brainer for me!

I am one of the Seabourn crossing cheerleaders who post here. If your hubby likes the 6 night crossing on QM2, then the 9 or 10 sea days of pure Seabourn pampering bliss on either the Pride or Legend would be a reasonable next step. ;)

Oh those lazy, crazy days of Seabourn crossings! November Legend crossing final payment due next month! :D

Archived