Photo Chip downloads onboard?

I'm leaving for Alaska this Friday on the Vision and before I go I thought I'd ask.....

Can you download your photo chips onto a disk at the photo gallery? I've heard that you can print your pictures but I didn't want to print ALL of them. I was hoping that I could get them downloaded onto a disk, clear the chip and then fill it up again rather than buying a bigger chip before we leave. Has anyone done this before? If so, what was the cost?

Thanks!

I wonder if they'd let you use a small little flash drive instead of a CD (you can get 4 gigs for like $40 at Comp USA) . That way you wouldn't have to use a new cd each time because you can keep adding to the flash drive. Plus, it will easily fit in a purse or something and you can use it for all types of files, even after the cruise.

I'm leaving for Alaska this Friday on the Vision and before I go I thought I'd ask.....

Can you download your photo chips onto a disk at the photo gallery? I've heard that you can print your pictures but I didn't want to print ALL of them. I was hoping that I could get them downloaded onto a disk, clear the chip and then fill it up again rather than buying a bigger chip before we leave. Has anyone done this before? If so, what was the cost?

Thanks!

Last year on board the Jewel of the Seas it was $19.95 to download your photos to a CD. It was a one price deal regardless of whether it was one photo or a hundred up to the capacilty of the CD. No adding of pictures later. If you want another download it is another $19.95 :(

For that kind of pricing it is cheaper to get another chip for your camera.

Yes you can ...the cost is about $15.

Seems to me its smarter to just buy another card or two that you can use again after the trip for the price of the download. I suspect you could also download them in port for a much more reasonable price.

Cheers

The card I'm looking at is $50 after a $40 mail in rebate. My current card holds up to 200 pictures so I only anticipate having to download them once. I'm not very diligent about transferring my pictures from my camera - I just loaded pics from a year ago to clear the camera :eek: , sooooo if I have a bigger card then by the time I clear the card, I've forgotten places, names, dates, etc. A smaller memory card forces me to clear it more often. :)

DH will be bringing his digital too so maybe we'll download both chips on the the same picture CD.

tammster - I love the idea about the flash drive - I'll make sure DH brings one and I hope that will be a viable option. Thanks everyone!!

You will not be able to download from two different cameras onto the same CD unless it is a re-writeable one (most photo places do not use re-writeable ones). I suspect they are not, unless you bring your own.

I'm not sure where you are looking at cards, but Staples and Office Depot usually have the 1 Gig cards (which for me provides about 600 pics) on sale for less than $20.

I just got a 2 gb card last week at Best buy for $20, you might want to check them out. Hubby managed to fill 2 one gig cards on the Panama cruise, so for Alaska I figured I better have more.

Yes, I remember being on my honeymoon and my smallish card filled up. To that point, since I had to be able to stay in touch with the office, I always carried my laptop with me and figured, I could just download photos each day onto my laptop. That was fine until one day in Hawaii, we travelled to several places that were great photo ops and at the end of the day, I ran out of photos. I was ticked. Since then, I have upgraded my data card twice and I have kept the old ones for "backup" just in case.

But, for a few reasons, I bring my laptop with me on travel and I usually just download them to my laptop. On this last cruise, it was especially good since then on the last day of the cruise, I had downloaded all the photos and the family got together after dinner and we went to the library and we looked at all the photos of the cruise together in a JPG slideshow. It was a lot of fun for everyone. And I got to load my sister and brother's photos as well and we looked through everyone's photos.

I think it will be cheaper for you to get another data card. A 512-MB card is pretty cheap now ($30-$50) and I can store about 1000 photos on it. For two burns, you've already earned your money back.

Archived