what's the best/cheapest/easiest fun with children?

OnTheBrink

We'll be traveling with our 3.5 yo son and 7 yo daughter. We'd like to figure out if there is something economical to do in port. Is there anything we can walk to (with a stroller)? Or a quick bus or taxi ride? Any neat museums or parks? We are not going to do big excursions because of their ages. I'd love to hear recommendations!

(I'm posting this in all the POC forums for the ones we are visiting.)

BTW - It's Emerald Princess, March-April 2008

Thanks!

We'll be traveling with our 3.5 yo son and 7 yo daughter. We'd like to figure out if there is something economical to do in port. Is there anything we can walk to (with a stroller)? Or a quick bus or taxi ride? Any neat museums or parks? We are not going to do big excursions because of their ages. I'd love to hear recommendations!

(I'm posting this in all the POC forums for the ones we are visiting.)

BTW - It's Emerald Princess, March-April 2008

Thanks!

The only thing within walking distance from Port Zante is the various shops (Pelican Mall) and the various shops near The Circus.

You can take a tour of the island and visit Brimstone Hill Fortress, Black Rocks and Romney Manor/Caribelle Batik Factory.

You can also do your own personal walking tour of Basseterre (the capital). Start at the centre of town designated as The Circus. There you will find the green clock and water fountain built in 1883 and is called The Berkley Memorial. Here you will notice the Georgian architecture. Here is the bustling centre of commercial, financial and trading activity, alive with colour and chatter and the vibrancy of the local people.

A short walk you will find Independence Square. This was formerly a slave market. You can also see the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception.

South of the clock towards the waterfront you can see the very imposing Treasury Building. Today, it houses the new National Museum and the St. Christopher Heritage Society offices. The entrance is through the archway, which was once the gateway into St. Kitts. A walk through this archway leads to Port Zante, the new cruise ship dock, which extends over 25 acres of modern landfill. The Amina craft market, a growing number of local businesses and international duty free shops can be found there.

Archived