Volcano Update...new lava flow!!

kapoho2

I just heard several helicopters go over my house which is unusual for this time of day. Decided to check in at the website for the volcano activity..and sure enough, a new update was just posted. There is a new lava flow in Pu'u O'o crater. I doubt there is any surface flow that is visible right now....but this could be the beginning of new activity. The update says that last time there was a pause like this, and then the new flow was spotted...it was just a couple of weeks until an ocean entry began again.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory Status Page

The new lava activity is at the bottom of the collapse area within Pu'u O'o's vent, which collapsed over 350 feet during the events of the last few weeks. This is at least a sign for some optimism regarding lava flows eventually becoming accessible via the established system of magma - east rift - pu'u o'o - lava tubes - ocean. Obviously it's too soon to tell whether lava will flow to the ocean anytime soon, but it isn't as bleak an outlook as was before. So as of now it looks like this was a "pause" rather than "the end."

As a red rock junkie - a modest hurrah is in order.

I understand where you are coming from Sceptic...but the latest post by the HVO this afternoon gives those of us who live here a bit of hope. And there is a bit of hope for the future cruisers to see some red lava at night.

We who live here love Pu'u O'o.....it keeps the pressure off of maybe some other random places that might pop up!! The more activity near the Pu'u O'o vent....the less chance it has to start heading my way.

• 2 weeks later...

http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php

Kilauea Daily Update issued Jul 11, 2007 08:05 HST Volcanic-Alert Level WATCH - Aviation Color Code ORANGE

Report prepared by the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO):

Summary: The lava lake has built levees in Pu`u `O`o crater; the east vent has become dominant. Earthquakes continue to occur beneath the upper east rift zone. Kilauea summit continues to inflate.

Last 24 hours at Pu`u `O`o vent: The level of the lava lake has not risen; since 11 am, the lake level dropped slightly within the levees. The tiltmeter on the north side of Pu`u `O`o cone recorded accelerating inflation: 5 microradians in the last 24 hours. Seismic tremor levels continue to decrease. The radiometer levels remain elevated but have not increased since the lake stabilized and formed levees.

A webcam problem developed about 3:25 am that prevents the panoramas from updating automatically. We are working to correct the problem.

Last 24 hours at June 18/19 eruption site: No significant changes. Small earthquakes continue to occur along the upper east rift zone between Namakani Paio campground and Mauna Ulu. Seismic tremor levels continue to be below pre-June 17 levels.

Last 24 hours at Kilauea summit: Inflation is continuing at a rate of nearly 1 microradian per day (measured near HVO). Seismic tremor levels continue to be below pre-June 17 levels.

The lava that is pooling in Pu'u O'o cannot be seen from land or sea right now. I don't even think that the NCLA ships are cruising down to the volcano right now. I could be wrong...but I have not noticed them lately. I will try to remember to look tonight to see if the POA cruises by.

Unfortunately for us, it looks like we'll miss the show. We leave Saturday on PofAm. Doesn't sound like we'll see any lava flowing into the ocean. I have to say I'm disappointed but that's the way it works with nature -- we have no control over it.

Unfortunately, there is no new Lava Flow visible, lava is building up in the Pu'u 'O' o crater. Hopefully a new flow to the ocean will develop for all of you cruising in the near future.:)

Kilauea Daily Update issued Jul 12, 2007 08:35 HST Volcanic-Alert Level WATCH - Aviation Color Code ORANGE

Report prepared by the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO):

Summary: The lava lake has built levees in Pu`u `O`o crater and the lake level continues to rise. The east vent has become dominant but the west vent still occasionally contributes lava to the lake. Earthquakes continue to occur beneath the upper east rift zone. Kilauea summit continues to inflate.

http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php

Archived