Book your own more expensive?

CalgonMoment

Maybe I am not getting full details, but it looks like the excursions available on the ship are less expensive than the quoted prices on the internet. I am looking particularly at snorkel and sail excursions from St. Thomas. Carnival is offering 3 hours for $49 and it looks like 4 hours on many of the recommended sites start at about $75. What am I missing, if anything?

Thank you, these message boards have been so helpful.

Maybe I am not getting full details, but it looks like the excursions available on the ship are less expensive than the quoted prices on the internet. I am looking particularly at snorkel and sail excursions from St. Thomas. Carnival is offering 3 hours for $49 and it looks like 4 hours on many of the recommended sites start at about $75. What am I missing, if anything?

I was wondering the same thing. I have been looking at daysails also and have found the same thing in pricing.

In some cases, ship excursions are more expensive, in others, they're less expensive. It's probably a good idea to search the board for specific details about whichever Carnival or independent excursions you're interested in. You should be able to gather enough info to compare. Good luck.

I've found that in general if an independent tour is more money than a ship tour it's usually because there is less people on the independent tour causing it to have a higher per person price. Also, the quality of the independent offerings are usually higher. For example I've booked an independent snorkel tour in St Thomas that has a maximum of 6 people. For me the added expense was worth it. You really have to compare what you're getting for the added expense and if it's really worth it or not.

I'm 42 and I’ve been on 4 cruises in the Caribbean. Each time I've taken at least 2 excursions. At first I only booked through the cruise line. Now I only do independent. Its such a better experience.

I was in St Thomas on 6/13/07 with my wife and two daughters (13/9). We booked the Jolly Mon - a 48ft sailboat. Gary and Gayle met us at the pier and we took a small boat to their sailboat. (Nice sailboat too!) No waiting, they were there when we walked up. Added bonus, no taxi ride. They book up to 6 but it was just the 4 of us. ($75each) for 4 or 4.5 hours. Can’t remember.

We had a nice leisurely sail to Turtle Island. They're wonderful people and we spent the time talking and relaxing. Learned a few things about the Caribbean. We anchored and Gayle led the 4 of us snorkeling around Turtle Island. She knew so much about the fish, coral, sponges, and crustaceans. Pointed out several things we would have missed. Spent time making sure the kids had fun. We sailed back and had rum punch, cheese/crackers and a vegetable plate.

While we were there an excursion from the ship anchored nearby. A large motor boat that was wall to wall people. Crewed by four ROUGH looking guys in their early 20's. Gayle said the guys normally play really loud music- what the crew likes. The passengers jumped in and were completely on their own. They paid $59 a person.

I paid $16 more a person and it was worth every penny. Just getting to the island is expensive. Don't choose an excursion as a time to save a few dollars. I found out about The Jolly Mon on this board.

Mike

www.jollymonstthomas.com

svjollymon@hotmail.com

340 513 2693 (It was a local call on my cell)

I want to do a "swim with the turtles" thing and can't quite seem to decide what island to choose. I was thinking about doing the Silverspoon on Barbados or should I wait to do the Jolly Mon in St. Thomas. Since I have never seen either island, I don't know which island and/or water is prettier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tracy

We saw turtles but it wasn't anything like Stingray City in the Caymens. There were a few nearby, not a 'flock' by any means. I've never been to Barbados but I was very happy with St Thomas. Lots of stuff in the water.

DH and I got off the ship and went to Coki Beach by taxi. We rented snorkel equipment from the local beach hut and snorkeled on our own right next to the sea aquarium. We brought slim jims and milk bones to feed the fish. It was wonderful. No need to spend alot of money.

We've done excursions, but this was better.

Archived