Looking for update on pre-loaded credit cards

Some time ago I posted a question about these new style credit cards that are available through CAA/AAA etc. The type where you can put cash on them before you go on holiday and you use them like a credit card [except for using as part of your OBC as they can't put a hold on the money apparently]

Anyway, just wondering if anybody has been using one in the last few months while cruising the globe and experienced any problems with using them while out and about. Specifically using them in ATMS, Restaurants etc. while ashore

Cheers

Pete

I used one of these when I cruised the Med last fall - got it through AAA. It worked beautifully at any of the ATMs I stopped at - Villefranche, Rome, Dubrovnik, Venice. No problems at all. I can't remember, though, if there was a service charge each time. I did take out several hundred Euro each time as I was trying to cash only for my on-shore activities/purchases. I didn't use it as a credit card while in Europe. At the end of the trip there was still money left on it and I have used it just like a credit card here at home. The only thing I need to make sure of is how much is on the card when I use it at a store. Either it can't have less than what the purchase price is or I need to know exactly how much is on it to tell the cashier so s/he can process it like a gift card.

I'm sold on these and will use it again when I do my TA next spring.

instead of a wallet filled with cash waiting to be picked! I also just use my AMEX in my pocket with no purse on excursions. I also learned that if the clerk needs to rescan my card I say NO and leave. Too many times I have gotten home to find a $1000 purchase in the country that I didn't make. I learned that they scan to use for themselves then scan again for your purchase. The new scam with credit cards. At home I use another card so no duplicate signature.

new style credit cards
Thing is, it's not a credit card. In effect, it's the same as a gift card. As such, I doubt you have any recourse to protest a transaction after the fact. If used in an ATM, you'd be better off leaving the $ in your account and drawing it when needed rather than taking it out and loading it on the card.

Archived