Tell me about Snuba....

Bug'sMom

My husband wants to scuba and I'm not so sure. I thought Snuba would be a good introduction before we spend the time and money getting certified. What is it like and is it worth it ??? Enjoyable? Way better than traditional snorkeling? Is it scary? I have a zillion questions :o sorry! Also, would you recommend St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

Kathy

I'd recommend St. Thomas over St. Maarten for any underwater sports.

http://www.snuba.com has a pretty good explanation of what is involved.

Even thought I haven't done snuba (I'm scuba certified) I have to think that it would be considerably better than just snorkeling.

If you don't want to spend all the money to get certified without trying scuba first, them perhaps you might consider going a Discover scuba dive.

I think Coral World offers Snuba if you want to avoid the ship's excursion.

My husband wants to scuba and I'm not so sure. I thought Snuba would be a good introduction before we spend the time and money getting certified. What is it like and is it worth it ??? Enjoyable? Way better than traditional snorkeling? Is it scary? I have a zillion questions :o sorry! Also' date=' would you recommend St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

Kathy[/quote']

Search the boards for 'snuba' or 'visnuba.com'. I've never heard anyone refer to it as scary in the least. You're submerged with the fish, surrounded by water. People love it.

I think I'll check out the sites you've recommended! Have either of you heard of or been to Pinel Island off Orient Beach? If so' date=' what is it like?

Thanks again!

Kathy[/quote']Sorry, I've only heard the name, nothing more.

I think I'll check out the sites you've recommended! Have either of you heard of or been to Pinel Island off Orient Beach? If so' date=' what is it like?

Thanks again!

Kathy[/quote']

Not me, sorry.

Go for it! In May 2006 four of us (in our 40's) tried Snuba for the first time in Mexico. We chose the snuba that was offered on a reef instead of their "lagoon". After a brief (very brief) explanation we were taken in a little boat out in the ocean and told to jump in. The first guy in the water freaked and refused to do it. He just hung onto his tank raft for dear life. The water was very rough and I was getting a little green, so I jumped in. Started having my own slight panic attack, but once I got under the water I absolutely loved it. So did the other two in our group. We saw barricuda, 2 sea turtles and lots of various colorful fish. My husband and I loved it so much that in fall of 2006 we became certified for scuba diving and plan on taking a short cruise to Nassau just to go diving again (we regulary dive in a quarry). So my suggestion is, give it a try!!!

Snuba is a lot of fun. Actually, I would recommend that you try it to see if getting your Scuba certification would be of interest to you.

Basically, the air tanks are not carried on your back as in Scuba, but they remain either on the boat or on a raft. The tubes that provide air to you are no more than 30 feet long. So, you will be able to swim down up to 30 feet.

I have to tell you, this is wonderful! My husband tried Snuba and decided he wants to become Scuba certified. A great introduction to the freedom and views that Scuba provides versus snorkeling.

With snorkeling you are confined to the surface of the water. You are basically looking down at everything (1 dimensional, like watching a movie). With Scuba and Snuba, you can be down in the water with whatever you are looking at (3 dimensional and interactive).

Go for it! It is a must try - especially if you are considering whether you want to get Scuba certified!

• 2 weeks later...

okay, so, I would reccomend you try SNUBA, as long as medical conditions don't prevent it. (there are some, i think) I did, because my husband wants to do SCUBA and I wanted to try is, as I ABSOLUTELY LOVE snorkeling and have just loved being in the water since I learned to swim at 5 years old. Anyway, I found after the snuba experience, that I didn't like going under that far and would not like to become scuba certifiied. I did complete the excursion, but asked to have my weight belts removed and swam the entire time with the respirator. I learned that day that my claustrophobia prevents me from being submerged more than about 10 feet. So, it's a good learning experience or transition. Better for me that to pay for scuba classes and find out I can't do scuba. From what I hear from my friends that do SNUBA also, there are always one or two on the excursion that can't go under....sounds like a common thing. I always had this drowning feeling when I tried to go down and was afraid I couldn't find my way back up. But, I can snorkel all day long - and I can swim under water with no problem unattached holding my breath - it's just different for me.

I am going to Cozumel in September from New Orleans for my 40th birthday with about 10 other women. 1st time cruise for most of them. I have been once 2 years ago on the Sensation. I want to Snuba. I have checked it out on www.snuba.com and would love to try it. Does anyone recommend that I book the excustion on the Carnival website or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

:cool:

I can't stand snorkeling because I hate being "stuck" near the surface of the water ... back in 2005 I was introduced to SNUBA on a Carnival cruise, and I immediately fell in love ... I'll never snorkel again ;) and it also sold me on SCUBA ... since then I've done several "learn to SCUBA dive" excursions and am getting dive certified (as I'm finding the learn to dive excursions to be too limiting LOL).

I did a helmet dive in St. Thomas last year and thought it was great...though the helmet was a tad clastraphobic. I have basic swim skills but have never snorkeled. Do you think (and I know you dont know me) someone who did the helmet dive could handle snuba?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

SNUBA is great for the beginner! I certified in '83 but my husband is a little claustrophobic and would never take a scuba class. He did the Snuba and had a Blast. Maybe because you aren't encumbered with the heavy tank, he didn't have a problem with his claustrophobia at all. Being tethered to the surface gave a sense of security, too.

Snuba gave my husband and kids the bug for scuba and now we are all certified.

Best of luck.

• 2 months later...

in bermuda we did snuba. the first 10-15 mins i was a little freaked. i could not convince my mind i was able to breath under water. after taking off the weight belt. i was fine. and wished i had it on again so i could go deeper. i am going on an eastern cruise and doing snuba in st thomas..a must do

rikki

Archived