Are uncovered balconies so bad?

erdooley

IMO, the biggest advantage Princess has as a cruiseline is their uncovered grand class dolphin balconies and 50% covered caribe balconies.

Their competition, HAL and X, and perhaps Carnival, mostly have covered balconies, with the exception of those coveted aft balconies.

I cannot speak to RCI or NCL, yet.

To each their own, but I'm 'young' and the main reason for cruising in the winter, is for exposure to the hot sun. Why the hell would I want to be covered from it? Let it shine, let it shine.

As for Alaska, I have not been, except I understand the weather can be difficult, so maybe cos of rain, there is a point to being covered, but IMO based on my cruise travels in Europe and Carribean, when it rains, due to wind, you can't really enjoy a covered balc. However, that's just my opinion.

PS: The Caribe PH suite balconies, expense aside, are to die for, 1/2 exposed, 1/2 covered, it fits 8-10 people sitting, more standing, and opens onto the next balcony if you are travelling with other people.

jc

Toronto

Agree with Wilcoam - the only time we couldn't use our uncovered balcony on our 4 cruises - we couldn't have - or wouldn't want to be on it anyway even if it had been covered.

Are the Caribe Balcony rooms half covered or completely opened on the Emerald Princess? And are they bigger than the baja deck ones?

CuriousCat

Yes, Caribe balconies are half exposed/half covered and bigger than the ones on the baja deck.

I prefer the covered mini suites as they protect me from the elements. I have no problem with people being able to see me. As a matter of fact, on the covered mini suites, your neighbors can see you through the reflection on the balcony's rail that has the glass working as a mirror at certain angles.

Dforeigner

I prefer a mini suite too but am afraid to book one and then we'll be real spoiled for life....:D

They still serve a full hot breakfast thru room service? Nothing like eating breakfast on the balcony. I am not fond of buffets...

CuriousCat

I never thought about if the balcony had a cover! Shows what a rookie I am! lol Is the Dolphin without balcony cover on all the ships? We're booked on a dolphin mini suite on the Sapphire.

Interesting.....

Yes, all Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies are uncovered on the Sapphire.

Dforeigner

I prefer a mini suite too but am afraid to book one and then we'll be real spoiled for life....:D

They still serve a full hot breakfast thru room service? Nothing like eating breakfast on the balcony. I am not fond of buffets...

CuriousCat

Unless you have a full size suite, you will not get hot breakfast from room service unless you order the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast for $25.00.

But there is nothing preventing you from going to the buffet, picking your food and bringing back to your room so you can eat it out on the balcony. Although my wife and I enjoy eating breakfast at either the dinning room or buffet, we love eating lunch out on the covered balcony.

In our 4 cruises we never had a privacy issue - in fact it was rare to see anyone on their balcony. I always enjoyed it when someone was out there to chat with. We don't do or wear anything that would create a privacy issue anyway - we're too boring.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I am amazed at how little it seems people actually use the balcony! We're out there all the time having coffee in the morning, wine for happy hour, etc. It's rare that you see anyone come out on their balcony for anything more than to check the weather! They might as well save their money and get an inside!

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! It sounds like I really don't need to worry about the uncovered balconies. I'll just have to try to keep my nudist tendencies in check! hahahahaha.... Can't wait!

When I am in the Med or the Caribbean in the full heat, I simply don't want the sun beating down on me after a hot day in port. I want to relax in privacy with a drink and a good book. Breakfast on the balcony in jammies is nice too:D

On the flip side, I truly enjoyed our uncovered mini during the days at sea during out transatlantic cruise in April. Neither hot nor humid, we spent every afternoon on the balcony and came back with beautiful tans.

An uncovered balcony is better than a interior or porthole any day.

I have an uncovered on the Crown August 1st, i'm not worried about it, either I will like it or I wont, if i dont i'll make the best of it and make sure to book a covered balcony on the next cruise.

Archived