April 12, 2008 Weather Question

trump

I am considering booking the NCL GEM cruise for April 12, 2008.

I am from Connecticut - so I know the typical Northeast weather for that time. But what can I expect from a cruise that leaves from NY in mid-April ? Will the first and last days at sea be too cold for the pools/decks ? Do you need to bring warm clothes ? Are the pools heated ? We are locked into that week (school vacation). I'm wondering if we would be better off just picking another cruise that leaves from Florida, however GEM is very tempting.

Any opinions are welcome.

Usually the first and last days are not necessarily "pool days". But we send the time unpacking and exploring a new ship the first day and usually are so exhausted from getting ready for the cruise that we enjoy an afternoon nap. On the last full day, packing and socializing take up most of that day. I have sailed from NYC in April and December and March and will this September and January. There is no BAD time to sail.

April weather is always questionable. Can be hot, cold, so-so.

We have seen many in the hot tubs if the weather was cool for sailaway...even in Feb.

I would bring a sweat jacket for everyone. Just for walking on atrium decks in the evening.

Always be prepared...we left last Jan., on a very warm day and came back to a N'easter with no coats or boots! Brrrrr.

It's all part of the adventure:)

When we have sailed out of NY in April, the first day has never been warm - we always had our coats, but the last day home we have always been lucky enough to enjoy the day outside. It is hit or miss. A day at sea on a great ship is alot of fun. There is so much to do. I would avoid the airports if I found a ship and itinerary that I wanted to do out of NY. Good Luck with your decision.

Archived