Rafting On The Martha Brea

BcIcemen

I am scheduled for this excursion in Ocho Rios. Has anyone done this? My concern is the safety factor in Jamacia. There is a lot of bad press on this board about Jamacia and I just dont want to put myself and wife in a unsafe enviroment. My cruise is 8/12 on the Liberty.

Hi, My DH and myself have done this excursion, loved it. ITs laid back, (no rapids) and I never felt threatend at all. If you booked with Carnival I felt the people running the excursion were very concerned with us all being safe and happy. Near the beginning of the ride, a young Jamaican waded out in the water to offer us a small model of the raft we were on for 5.00, I wanted one, but only had a 10 on me. I gave that to him and said to hubby, well, I wont see that 5 bucks, but the young man ran along from small island to keep up with raft and waded back out with my change! I was impressed!

The oarsman carved me a small bowl from the calabash (like a very hard gord) which he gave me at the end and of course was expecting a gratuity, which we were only too happy to give. It was very nice, I think you will like it.:cool:

We're thinking of doing this trip, but is it very crowded. The piccies look very idylic, with no other raft in sight (I don't expect it to be like that), but is it relatively relaxing and maybe a little romantic? We've already done Dunn River Falls, which was great, but want to do something a little different this time. Would you recommend the Martha Brae trip?

There are many people taking this excursion, a busfull with us, but there are also many oarsman (one per raft) with 2 passengers per raft, and you did not feel crowded, they keep a respectful distance from each other. Sometimes close enough to chat, but never crowded together. If anyone gets a Captain Murphy, he was our guy, and very nice. tell him we said hi! (like he would remember us,) LOL. It IS a very laid back float down the river, along the banks there were a few locals peddaling stuff like beer and bottled water, but not so much as to mar the landscape. I thought they were part of the charm, and indicative of the poverty these poor people go through.

I would love to try this excursion. I will be there on a land based trip for this one but I have always wanted to do this.

Here is the silly question, can I bring a non-water proof camera with me? I could bring the one with a waterproof housing but it is very bulky.

Sorry, I saw no wildlife, jungle like surroundings, but just a few water birds. Thats not to say, you wouldnt, just that I didnt.

I dont see why you cant take a not waterproof camera, unless your clutsey and are likely to drop it in the water. The raft seats 2 people, and you dont get wet, my DH brought a camera and took our picture by holding it out in front of us, amazingly not bad!

Sorry, I saw no wildlife, jungle like surroundings, but just a few water birds. Thats not to say, you wouldnt, just that I didnt.

I dont see why you cant take a not waterproof camera, unless your clutsey and are likely to drop it in the water. The raft seats 2 people, and you dont get wet, my DH brought a camera and took our picture by holding it out in front of us, amazingly not bad!

Thanks. So we won't get wet? No, I am not clutsy but I will make sure I am the one holding the camera;) .

That's just what I was trying to ask but didn't do it to well.

Archived