Hoonah/ISP Ship Tour

carol459

We will be in ISP in September, 07, and there is a ship tour called "Forest & Nature Tram" for $48. Our ship is the RCCL Radiance and the same tour was offered in 2004 on the Celebrity Mercury but it was cancelled due to muddy roads. Tours offered by locals are $100plus.

Has anyone taken this tour? Any comments? Would appreciate input.

Thank you

Carol and Rick

We will be in ISP in September, 07, and there is a ship tour called "Forest & Nature Tram" for $48. Our ship is the RCCL Radiance and the same tour was offered in 2004 on the Celebrity Mercury but it was cancelled due to muddy roads. Tours offered by locals are $100plus.

Has anyone taken this tour? Any comments? Would appreciate input.

Thank you

Carol and Rick

Hi Carol

If you go to the website http://www.icystraitpoint.com/ they have videos of the Tram Excursion and the others for ISP.

BTW this is where your ship will dock and just a mile up the road is our town of Hoonah.AK

The Radiance of the Seas was in today. We had one of our rare rainy 4th of July. :(

Hope you are having a wonderful 4th. Say hello to the *Polar Bears* from peaches. :)

Peaches,

That site is great. Thank you.

We are still looking for people who have been on the tour and their personal comments.

Rick

:) Happy to have been of help. I believe i saw a post somewhere awhile back where some took the Tram. Hopefuly some who have taken it recently will reply here.

I know you're asking about a different tour, but I just took the Zip Line ride. Only went to keep someone else company, but the ride up the mountain was worth every penny, even if we hadn't done the Zip Line! The views were to die for, and we had to stop for bears to cross the road and play for a while. The driver was very informative also. Friends on the bear watch saw nothing. I'm not sure if theirs is the same tour you are talking about, but they were definately disappointed.

hi peaches

will be fun to see how your city has changed.we were on 1st shipful of people to your city.we got a ride in town by the guy who owned the hardware store and the gas station.your town people did good.we saw a dog with a hawiian shirt on matched a guy......

eager to come back

Carol

The forest tram ride takes place on the ISP site. They use the same type of tram that they use in Universal Studios or Disney Land when they do their site tours. The trail they use is also gets alot of foot traffic I believe. This is far different from the "Bear Search" tours by ISP and other independent operaters. The Bear Search tours take you off the ISP site, and you see alot more. The Bear Seach tours with ISP take place in a bus, about 30 passengers maybe, a driver, and a narrator. Independents may take up to 10 passengers and the driver.

We are booked with Keith at Teckk Outfitters. Has anyone been on a bear search with him this year? AND - did you see bears or perhaps it is still too early? Anyone know when the salmon run is in ISP?

The forest tram ride takes place on the ISP site. They use the same type of tram that they use in Universal Studios or Disney Land when they do their site tours. The trail they use is also gets alot of foot traffic I believe. This is far different from the "Bear Search" tours by ISP and other independent operaters. The Bear Search tours take you off the ISP site, and you see alot more. The Bear Seach tours with ISP take place in a bus, about 30 passengers maybe, a driver, and a narrator. Independents may take up to 10 passengers and the driver.

hi Cool,

Thanks for your input. That is just what I was looking for.

Rick

hi peaches

will be fun to see how your city has changed.we were on 1st shipful of people to your city.we got a ride in town by the guy who owned the hardware store and the gas station.your town people did good.we saw a dog with a hawiian shirt on matched a guy......

eager to come back

Carol

Welcome Back Carol ! There have ben a few changes,but all for the betterment of Hoonah. The roads are now paved and we have a nice smooth walkway into town. Still only one gas pump though.;)

Hope you enjoy your visit as much as the 1st one.

AKPeaches2,

On the map on the Icy Strait website there are numerous paths. One of the paths is 10. I would assume that leads into town. I am interested in path labled 15 Nature Trail. Is there a lot to see on Trail 15 or the lakes that are nearby (Tidewater, Fountain and Island)?

Thanks

Tom

AKPeaches2,

On the map on the Icy Strait website there are numerous paths. One of the paths is 10. I would assume that leads into town. I am interested in path labled 15 Nature Trail. Is there a lot to see on Trail 15 or the lakes that are nearby (Tidewater, Fountain and Island)?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm not exactly that familar with the paths at ISP,though I am a resident of Hoonah. I went to the ISP website to look at the paths you mentioned.

#15 I believe is also the path used for the Tram Excursion.#10 is the beach path.

As you go up the ramp from the tender you go straight past the buildings and turn right the gray area on the site map,pass the security gate /site boundary. There is a path on the right that will go into the town of Hoonah beside the road. There is a shuttle/ green bus that you may also take into town. I believe the pice is $5 round trip.

Enjoy your visit to Hoonah!:D

John - We'll be there a few days before you. Will try not to scare the bears away !! If I can find this thread easily without spending too much time on the internet, I'll post about our tour for you.

Archived