how is a transatlantic cruise?

Can anyone advise what the age demographic is like on one of these cruises? My wife and I are 30, and are looking at a TA in fall 2008. We are by no means wild and crazy, but we prefer to have a nice mix of all ages on a cruise ship, and I have heard that longer cruises can really skew the average age. Thanks

We're also booked on the Independence transatlantic in November 2008. You won't feel out of place on a transatlantic being in your early 30's. While the majority of the passengers will be older we personally prefer the mature environment of these types of cruises. It's one of the many reasons we favor transatlantic's.

i wish cruiselines had 10 day at sea cruises out of ft lauderdale. we love sea days and could care less about going to the same islands for the 15th time or so. have done TA's 05 and 06 and plan one for this fall. It's the best!

Can anyone advise what the age demographic is like on one of these cruises? My wife and I are 30, and are looking at a TA in fall 2008. We are by no means wild and crazy, but we prefer to have a nice mix of all ages on a cruise ship, and I have heard that longer cruises can really skew the average age. Thanks

I actually have the same concern. My husband and I will be 21 and 22 when we go on our TA in November 08. We're both very laid back, and jive much better with the older crowd of people. However, I am a little worried about feeling out of place.:confused:

Well I am not quite in your age group, but longer cruises and transatlantics tend to be frequented by a older demographic. However, there will be many people who are quite active and participating in all of the activities. I will play on all of the activities on the ship, DW and I, are both 48. She is a fitness instructor part time and I will climb the rock wall, play basketball, mini golf, golf simulator, ice skating, ping pong, and arcade. On the positive side, people my age and older, tend to not drink til we puke, although it might still happen every 15 or 20 years as we forget the consequences of that. We tend to be a bit more polite and respectful of others personal space. We tend to be a bit quieter and a bit more enjoyable to be around. Of course, I know I am speaking in broad generalities, but stereotypes have a purpose and on the whole I think you will find this to be mostly accurate. We love to travel where we are the youngest onboard. In fact in 2005 on our South American cruise on HAL there were exactly zero children under the age of 18. The youngest passenger I saw was a woman in her late 20s.

jc

jc

We took our first TA cruise this past may on the Brilliance - Miami to Barcelona and it was fantastic. The most amazing things can happen on a longer cruise. I posted my review of the trip on another string, but foreget which one...but it will give you an idea of what you can do for the five or six days at sea.

That's my boy:D, Sailor Jack.

And of course you had a really exciting first few days too.....right?

Fran in Toronto

I actually have the same concern. My husband and I will be 21 and 22 when we go on our TA in November 08. We're both very laid back, and jive much better with the older crowd of people. However, I am a little worried about feeling out of place.:confused:

If this helps - on our TA last year the largest group of people was probably the 40 to 60 age group. There were a few of us who are fractionally older. Then there was a smaller group of people who were in their 80's I'd say; a smaller group who had teens and a group with very small children. We were invited to a 21st birthday party for a young woman from Ottawa - so there was, to some extent, that demographic as well. My husband went up on deck one night quite late and played basketball with some of the staff and crew. I suspect you'll be OK.

Fran in Toronto

We're also booked on the Independence transatlantic in November 2008. You won't feel out of place on a transatlantic being in your early 30's. While the majority of the passengers will be older we personally prefer the mature environment of these types of cruises. It's one of the many reasons we favor transatlantic's.

Speaking as a really cute old fogey, Kewl?????

Fran in TO

Archived