Lens and flash advice

Good evening,

I will be going on a cruise in September and I have a couple questions for the photo experts on CC.

I have a Nikon D40 and the standard 18-55 lens that came with it. Would it be advisable to buy another lens, like a 55-200, for use both on the ship and in port? Also, how about a speed light for use on the ship? I'm concerned that the built-in flash won't be adequate. Which speed light would be best for use both indoors and outdoors (at moderate distances). Any advice would be appriciated. Thank you.

I don't know what your budget is, but you may want to consider the Nikon DX VR 18-200 mm. The wide range makes for a no-lens change day and the image quality is a significant leap over the kit lens.

Too bad Nikon decided to take the focusing motor out of the body on the D40...the new Tamron 18-250 is turning out to be one of the best wide-range zooms ever made and it's just over half the price of the Nikon.

The SB-400 Speedlite is about 5 times as powerful as the built-in flash and is very compact but frankly, I almost never use the flash on my DSLR while travelling. You are very seldom off the ship at night and the pop-up does just fine for fill-flash shots of people. I prefer to bump up the ISO and either brace the camera on something or use a compact tripod for shipboard pictures.

Take a look at our travel gallery if you wish. Most of the pictures with flash are from my pocket camera. (My perfect all-around travel camera is actually two cameras!):

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/travel

Enjoy your trip!

Dave

I want a SB-400 for my D50. On our first cruise, my wife wanted photos of the "Midnight Buffet". The shots were horrible because of reflections. The next cruise went better with a bounce flash. I would suggest the SB-400 or SB-600/800. Just be prepared for post color correction as ceilings and such are rarely white.

turnips.jpg

Thank you for the great advice. I'm drooling over that 18-200 lens. I like the "one lens fits most" aspect of it. Unfortunately, it's a bit out of my price range. But, it will be going on my wish list. I'm going to go look at the speed lights. From what I'm reading, it seems that the SB-400 should fit the bill. One problem I always had with my Olympus Stylus is lighting. It takes great pictures in good sunlight (like any camera would) but indoors is a whole different matter :(

Dave, are you advising against the 55-200? Would it be a "next-best" to the 18-200? I know there will be compromises, but I wonder if it would work for most situations.

Bryan

Dave, are you advising against the 55-200? Would it be a "next-best" to the 18-200? I know there will be compromises, but I wonder if it would work for most situations.

Bryan

Not at all...the combination of the 18-55 and the 55-200 VR will cover just about anything you would run into. There are always compromises...this is not a painful one. Nikon makes good lenses and the 55-200 VR is a lot of lens for the money.

Dave

Archived