What is the proper etiquette at meet and greets......

I would say not to feel obligated. It's an in the moment kind of thing. We had a real tight roll call group and were running into some of them all over the ship at one time or another. There were times that some bought rounds and there times where it was everyone for themselves. Some people bought multiple rounds and some didn't buy any..........I don't think anyone was looked at any differently. If the moment feels like it....go for it, but if not....no worries.

I don't want to come across cheap , but at the meet and greets do you buy a round of drinks and the next person buys around of drinks and so on? If this is the case I would like to allocate additonal funds. :D

Our initial "unofficial" meet and greet is usually by the pizza place in Lido at 3pm (an hour before the Muster Drill ). There is no time for anyone to "buy a round of drinks". It is long enough to put a name to a face but short enough not to make anyone feel uncomfortable or obligated.

Are you all meeting in a bar? My two meet and greets, one we meet and had a hosted party and they drew names for gifts provided by the cruiseline. The other we talked it up but in the end I only meet one other couple, no one else showed up for the first meet and greet. One more was scheduled but I didnt bother.

The Conquest sailing I was supposed to go on this fall is paying for a hosted cocktail party. Carnival charges $11.95 I think if you want them to provide drinks for an hour and have at least 20 people sign up.

I don't want to come across cheap , but at the meet and greets do you buy a round of drinks and the next person buys around of drinks and so on? If this is the case I would like to allocate additonal funds. :D

I've had 3 meet and greet, I just tell everyone, come up to where we are meeting and bring your own drinks or Ice Cream cones. We had a fun 2nd party at someones long extended balcony, everyone came with their smuggled booze.

Fred

We meet everyone at the pool on the 2nd day and everyone bought their own drinks. We had an awesome group. We had bought 2 of those huge bottles of champagne at Sams and had people over for champagne on our aft balcony. We had one of the bottles left over and on the last day everyone met at the aft pool with all their leftovers and we had a smugglers party. We had a blast.

Are you all meeting in a bar? My two meet and greets, one we meet and had a hosted party and they drew names for gifts provided by the cruiseline.

The Conquest sailing I was supposed to go on this fall is paying for a hosted cocktail party. Carnival charges $11.95 I think if you want them to provide drinks for an hour and have at least 20 people sign up.

I love this idea.. We will meeting at the aft pool on the first sea day.

Wennfred - Like the ice cream for those who don't drink ;)

mrdood - Why I am not surprised... :D

Thank you all for your replies.........

We meet everyone at the pool on the 2nd day and everyone bought their own drinks. We had an awesome group. We had bought 2 of those huge bottles of champagne at Sams and had people over for champagne on our aft balcony. We had one of the bottles left over and on the last day everyone met at the aft pool with all their leftovers and we had a smugglers party. We had a blast.

Now these are the folks we want to sail with!!

BTW (off topic) just visited your fair city last month and had a blast at Schlitterbaun!!

I always host a Meet and Greet for my group. I don't do the Carnival party of $11.25, what I do is secure a room with bar service only (this year we got the Hot Paris Lounge). There is absolutely no charge for the room. I will buy one round of drinks (it's in my budget) for my group of 20. The I do trivia and prizes only with everyone wearing a Jersey or T-shirt to represent their favorite team, city, etc. If anyone else in the group chooses to buy a round, that's on them, however, as group coordinator, this is my thank you for sailing with us. The first time I did this, it worked out very well.

Smooth sailin' all !!!

We tend not to buy a round of drinks until we've had a chance to get to know people and they get to know us. Usually it's just a few people. Our rollcall is over 160 people so I don't think we'll be buying a round for the group this time. ;)

We tend not to buy a round of drinks until we've had a chance to get to know people and they get to know us. Usually it's just a few people. Our rollcall is over 160 people so I don't think we'll be buying a round for the group this time. ;)

AWWW come ON Deb! :D;)

This is all great feedback..I was just on our roll call on a topic of meet n greet logistics. I was thinking maybe a quick "name with face" after the muster...and then another but an actual sit-down, hang out on our first sea day.

It would be hard for me to buy for everyone in our group. We started our thread in Feb, and we are up to 80 people as of today for our meet and greet. They probably won't all show up, but even the original 30 would be too much to purchase a round for.

My first meet and greet, it was BYOB. So that is how we leave it. I have a little gift for all our group. Not much, just something simple. I had magnets made with our group name, the ship, and the date printed on them. It is an item for all to treasure even after the cruise is long over with.

Since you are allowed 1 bottle per person over 18 when you get on board, a couple of us are taking champange for the meet and greet. We are celebrating a bunch of birthdays, anniversaries, and a wedding in our group. so the champange seems fitting.

Cheap skate.......LOL...:D

Who's your buddy ....who's your pal...?????:p

Cheap skate.......LOL...:D

Who's your buddy ....who's your pal...?????:p

160 x 8 (on average) that is way too much. Yes, i too can be called a cheap skate. Heck buying that many drinks, could pay for my next cruise almost.

More power to you if you can afford to buy a drink for 160 people.

This is all great feedback..I was just on our roll call on a topic of meet n greet logistics. I was thinking maybe a quick "name with face" after the muster...and then another but an actual sit-down, hang out on our first sea day.

Trio.... Try to get photos from those in your thread. make a photo roster to email everyone a week before the cruise. Not everyone will give a photo, but those that do, you will know who they are. another idea, have your group make up their own T-shirts with a logo fo the name of your group on it. That is what we are doing. We came up with the name, made about 20 different designs, and everyone gets to chose what design they want to use and make their own shirts for the meet and greet so you know who is in your group.

160 x 8 (on average) that is way too much. Yes, i too can be called a cheap skate. Heck buying that many drinks, could pay for my next cruise almost.

I am on that cruise....and it's guess who's turn to buy.....;)

Wow - some of you have so many on your roll call. We have about 5 or 6 that post continuiosuly.

Love all the ideas. I hope some of our cruisers are reading this and would

not mind participating....

"Try to get photos from those in your thread. make a photo roster to email everyone a week before the cruise. Not everyone will give a photo, but those that do, you will know who they are. another idea, have your group make up their own T-shirts with a logo fo the name of your group on it. That is what we are doing. We came up with the name, made about 20 different designs, and everyone gets to chose what design they want to use and make their own shirts for the meet and greet so you know who is in your group."

Archived