Maximum luggage size

GoVolsTB

I see many threads dealing with maximum WEIGHT of luggage but I have not seen anything regarding maximum SIZE. I realize the maximum size allowed free is listed as 62" combined by most airlines. I have a new duffle bag that if filled to capacity would measure 68". I can fill it less and would probably need to just to be under 50 lbs but am just wondering if anyone has ever had the size of their luggage measured. I see an awful lot of bags in baggage claim that look to be over 62".

We will be flying Delta to Athens this fall and back from San Juan and do not want any surprises.

Really read the Delta site. It is possible that you would not have problems - BUT, the rule is if you're over the size, you pay $100 for excess baggage for size, and if you're also over the weight (and they do tend to check that unless you have a high status with them) you'll pay either $25 or $100 additional fees (based on how much over the weight you are). I would try to make sure the luggage meets the standards. If it were me, I know I would end up filling it up while on vacation, and having paid the extra $100 for weight before (some airlines - it's just $100, luckily Delta isn't one of those), that would put a bad flavor on the end of my vacation. It's easier to have 2 smaller pieces (much easier to handle, and easier to work out of) that you don't have to worry about. Good luck!:p

It's easier to have 2 smaller pieces (much easier to handle, and easier to work out of) that you don't have to worry about. Good luck!:p

And, one piece could get lost, but the chances of BOTH being lost at the same time are slim. At least you would have SOME of your things. And cross-packing is always a great plan.

I just wanted to add if checked in baggage exceeds 50 pounds or 62 linear inches (height plus width plus depth) there is a surcharge as previously mentioned. However, if it is more than 100 pounds or 80 linear inches the airline won't accept it at all.

I appreciate the responses. I was just hoping to hear from some people that might have had luggage that was a little over the maximum size and not charged. I have never seen an airline measuring the dimensions of a bag at check in.

I appreciate the responses. I was just hoping to hear from some people that might have had luggage that was a little over the maximum size and not charged. I have never seen an airline measuring the dimensions of a bag at check in.

Hi TB :)

I know of people who were slightly over the weight limit in one bag that were given the option of simply moving some of its contents to another piece of luggage that was under the weight limit.

My gut feeling is that they have a feel for size and probably only measure it if they suspect it is larger than the limit. I also think that most manufacturers consider the airline's size limits so it is probably only an issue for old luggage.

The key here is "little" over the maximum. I have a feeling that your bag will look quite large and that may alert the ticket counter agent. Having a bag that is 63", 64" or maybe even 65" might slip by the eye of the ticket counter agent, I have a feeling that 68" may be slightly too big to go unnoticed. The overweight charge is much less than the over sized charge. Also remember that if your bag is overweight and oversized as well, you are charged both charges. 51 to 70 pounds $25. 62 to 80 inches $100. Both overweight and oversized $125.

The bag in question is 36" x 15".....if filled to capacity, it would be 16" deep. There are also exterior straps to compress the bag. I planned to pack it only to 11-12" deep. I would not be able to pack any more anyways because of the weight limit. The bag is an "Eagle Creek Super ORV Trunk" if anyone is familiar with Eagle Creek. I have also read many reviews on line and no one has mentioned and problems re size. I even called Eagle Creek and they also stated that there had not been any problems with the airlines. The bag is tall but it isn't wide....I'm just starting to get a little nervous.

For this - you might be okay. From your description, I pictured a VERY long duffel bag :eek: . I think with this bag, your issue probably won't be the size, it will be the weight when it's packed.... I have seen them measure bags before - but they were very long bags, which stood out.;) Just be very careful with the weight - they do focus on that more closely...

Archived