Amtrak to NY Penn

mmcnclh

Has any one taken Amtrak into NY Penn and then a taxi to Red Hook? I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of train vs. flying into LGA with driving as the backup plan ( traffic on 95 is never fun!!). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks..

a cab should be about $25.00 but bring directions....they won;t have a clue...

(go west to 10th avenue turn left-downtown to 12th avenue to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel take hamilton avenue exit just after the tolls. follow the signs )

its just behind the tunnel in Brooklyn....

I don't know where you are coming from but...

My wife detests flying so we take AMTRAK from Boston for our NY cruises. We'll be doing it again in September. We have not sailed from Red Hook but to the Manhattan terminal from Penn Station is a 12 minute taxi ride and real easy.

My guess is it would probably be about a half hour ride from Penn St to Red Hook which is about a half hour shorter than from LGA.

For grins and giggles, you might want to check a limo service rather than a cab for the trip to the cruise terminal. When I did training for work in the NYC area, I found that the limo was much cheaper than a cab.

Doc

We are taking the train from Dc to Penn station to avoid the 95 traffic. Its our first time doing this. We are staying in Manhattan, so wish us luck.

If you haven't booked yet, compare the airfares. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to fly. Go figure. :rolleyes:

FYI- for those of you taking the train to NYC Penn Station, be careful not to get off too early. There is another Penn station in Newark by the airport! (And when they annouce it, it sounds a lot like "New York"). Ditto for when you purchase your ticket. Make sure it's for New York!

If you haven't booked yet, compare the airfares. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to fly. Go figure. :rolleyes:

We did check fares for flying but would still be paying for airport parking for 8 days and then its the security and time you hang around National airport.

We actually decided to take the train because we have not done it before!

Thanks for the reply.

Your message did not say whether you are headed north or south on Amtrak. If you are headed south (Boston to New York), I have three suggestions. First, take the Acela Express. It's more expensive, but you travel business class, and it's a little more than three hours; the Acela Express skips a lot of stations. Do not take the Regional Acela unless you are on a tight budget. Second, if you travel the Acela Express on the weekend and are over 62, you are entiltled to a discount. Amtrak also offers discounts for AAA and several other memberships. You can book your ticket on the internet, identify the discounts before buying, and pick up your ticket at the station on day of departure. Third, if you are in the burbs, the Route 128 Station in Westwood has a superb garage for $10 per day. You can even pay with the Mass Pike transponder (but make sure you have enough on deposit.

Archived