Splendor Around the Horn - Are You Booking?

Kims Aunt

Splendor South American Poll - Are you booking it or just thinking about it  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Splendor South American Poll - Are you booking it or just thinking about it

• Booking it the minute it opens for sales
    • Will place a hold and get a deposit on it shortly afterwards
    • Can't commit - it's the airfare that might hold me back
    • Can't commit - I'm not sure I can get the time off from work but want to go
    • It's a nice thought, I'd love to go, but, I probably won't

I know a lot of people are thinking about it and are trying to get decent airfare but, is anyone booking regardless of cost, just for the experience, even if it means taking a lesser cabin category than normal?

We're going to book the middle leg of the journey, the actual Horn rounding - just have to wait for my better half to get formal permission for the time off from work. Shouldn't be any problem, so, we'll place a hold and then pay the deposit shortly afterward.

While I will more than likely book this sailing, I have to admit the airfare is a killer. If I can get some extra time off from work, it's almost worth the extra cruise fare to take the extra segments. Right now, I can get air from Washington DC to Fort Lauderdale and then San Francisco back to Washington DC for under $300. Sure beats the $1250 that it would take to start the cruise in Buenos Aires!

Just don't know if I could take being on a ship for that length of time :rolleyes:

I'm planning on a World Cruise in 2009, and, it will have departed by the time Carnival Splendor is ready for this sailing. However, I"m not ruling it out - especially if my plans change, this would be the first trip I'd take if my World Cruise falls through.

Can't wait to read the reviews on it though!

This would only be our third time on Carnival but, Splendor sounds like such a nice ship - we're going to give it a try. We live in Atlanta and

airfare is currently like this:

Atlanta to Buenos Aires $1530 per person, round trip

Atlanta to Buesnos Aires, return via Valparaiso $1356 per person

Altanta to Buenos Aires $1331 per person, one way

Atlanta to Valparaiso/Santiago, return via San Francisco $1255 per person

Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale and San Francisco to Altanta $423.80 per person

Sure it's a bit high but, it's one of those trips you only do once in a lifetime. I can't imagine passing up the opportunity!

This would only be our third time on Carnival but, Splendor sounds like such a nice ship - we're going to give it a try. We live in Atlanta and

airfare is currently like this:

Atlanta to Buenos Aires $1530 per person, round trip

Atlanta to Buesnos Aires, return via Valparaiso $1356 per person

Altanta to Buenos Aires $1331 per person, one way

Atlanta to Valparaiso/Santiago, return via San Francisco $1255 per person

Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale and San Francisco to Altanta $423.80 per person

Sure it's a bit high but, it's one of those trips you only do once in a lifetime. I can't imagine passing up the opportunity!

Sounds about right but, do check with consolidators before booking your air, often they do have better deals and it's often on the major carriers!

I am going to book all three as soon as it is available. I have already talked to my PVP. She has all my information and cabin choices, so she will book it as soon as it becomes available!

I just did a quick check on one of the main on-line travel outfits, and I was able to get airfare NYC-Buenos Aires, then Santiago-NYC for similar dates in 2008 for $872 round-trip. It's high, but I was looking into Italy in April and the best I could do was $772. So, crossing my fingers, and hoping to book it as soon as bookings open up next week.:D

I'm a bit surprised more people aren't saying "yes", hopefully these 3 segments will sell out so Carnival continues to add new and interesting itineraries.

I think its great that Carnival is offering these cruises, I think the sheer size of Splendor was the reason.

Im sure at these low prices, all three ships will sell out(they know how to sell cabins), just dont expect many of the regular Carnival pax aboard. Most cant take off that much time from work.

Also the number of CC members to actual cruise pax is so very very low.

I've been looking for booking dates and fares since the announcement on the Cruise Director's Blog and can't find them!

Where are we getting the July 10th opening date from?

I am looking at booking all three legs if Carnival will sell them that way.

I think the prices are going to reasonable because this will be Carnival's first big move into South America for the Fun Ships...HAL already does some itineraries ...so Carnival will be looking to fill the ship. This of course is no small challenge considering the size of Splendor and the time of year.

It will be really interesting to see if, and how fast, these itineraries sell out.

You don't get much closer to Heaven than sailing around the Horn on the Splendor! Not to mention of course that all three legs will take seven weeks to complete.

As far as the air fares are concerned...hell I'll hitch-hike home from San Francisco!!! LOL!~

In my opinion...this will be better than a world cruise!

Tom&Deb:)

I've been looking for booking dates and fares since the announcement on the Cruise Director's Blog and can't find them!

Where are we getting the July 10th opening date from?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/splendor_southamerica.aspx

Pricing and Reservations

Carnival will begin accepting reservations for Carnival Splendor’s new 14-, 17- and 18-day South America cruises beginning Tuesday, July 10. Prices for the 14-day cruise start at $1,399, the 17-day voyage $1,199, and the 18-day sailing $1,099 per person, based on double occupancy. Special rates for third and fourth guests sailing in the same stateroom, along with round-trip air supplements from a number of North American gateways are also available.

I will be talking with my TA on Monday about booking all three segments. The only segment that I think we will book with a balcony is the second segment around the Cape. My spouse is self employed so that shouldn't be a problem, but I will be asking to go on Leave of Absence. Good thing we have plenty of time to save up for this trip cause its going to be alot of bucks when it is all said and done. I sure hope we are able to hit platinum before the great adventure.

I am looking at booking all three legs if Carnival will sell them that way.

You can book as many back to back to back to back...... cruises as you want. Carnival would never restrict that. The only issue might be if you dont book right away, the cabin you want for all three segments might not be available.

I find myself in disbelief as write this post - I'm actually going to get to on this cruise for all three segments!!

The reason I'm in disbelief is because I just booked my first cruise ever on Princess for next July on Caribbean Princess. And, as I was talking to my parents and grandmother about that cruise, I BREIFLY mentioned this one, and before you know it, one thing led to another - and - we're booking it as soon as it opens!

My dad is treating us for his retirement present to himself and, (I'm still in shock) I was able to take a leave of absense from work. It's like it's meant to be!

My only concerns are:

- How rough is going to be sailing around the Horn?

- And, there is a lot of time at sea, I'm just hoping we don't get bored!

The seas are generally rough and there have been waves into the 70 foot category. It will be interesting to see how one of these new very tall but not much beneath the surface ships handle going around the horn with wave heights on average over 30 feet with bigger waves not uncommon.. I guess the powers to be have taken that into account.

I find myself in disbelief as write this post - I'm actually going to get to on this cruise for all three segments!!

The reason I'm in disbelief is because I just booked my first cruise ever on Princess for next July on Caribbean Princess. And, as I was talking to my parents and grandmother about that cruise, I BREIFLY mentioned this one, and before you know it, one thing led to another - and - we're booking it as soon as it opens!

My dad is treating us for his retirement present to himself and, (I'm still in shock) I was able to take a leave of absense from work. It's like it's meant to be!

My only concerns are:

I can't say I know the water will be rough from personal experience, I can only tell you what I've read and, basically it won't be really smooth sailing.

Also, I know many people planning this cruise might get fooled weather-wise (assuming that it is going to be warm the entire trip). The fact of the matter is that Carnival Splendor will make a port of call at Ushuaia, Argentina which is at tip of South America...and as you'll see by the link below, average temperatures are between the mid 40s to upper 50s for that time of year.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/ARTF0105?from=month_bottomnav_business

Be sure to buy clothes and pack appropriately!

I have a question - does anyone know if these sailings will be open to South American residents? I'm hoping so, I think it will add that much more to the experience to have an international passenger mix!

Also, here is another weather link those who are booking might find helpful:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/SA_ST_Index.html

Archived