Newbie, would you recommend a Europe cruise?

I'm thinking far into the future here, maybe in 2009. I'd love to go to Europe and a cruise sounds like it might be the way to see it. After doing some checking on my own, Carnival seems to have the best deals price-wise in Europe. For those who have cruised in Europe, did you like it? Would you recommend it to someone who will only be taking her second cruise ever?

Thanks in advance for any input!

My second cruise was to Europe just this past fall - Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Dubrovnik, Venice. It was fantastic! It was also very port-intensive, so you need to be ready for that - not so much lounging by the pool drinking fru fru drinks all day. If that kind of vacation is what you enjoy then you'll love it. If your more interested in relaxing and doing a few ports, it may be better to do Europe on a land-only vacation. But for me - it was perfect. I can sleep and rest at home - how often will I get to see David, the Forum, the Acropolis and sunset over the Venice lagoon?

100% go for it!!!!!

I just came back from The Carnival Freedom Grand Med . This was my second cruise on the Med but I been in over 30 cruises in almost all cruise lines. My first on the Med was the Grand Princess (Italy and Greece) love it!! Love the Med cant get over it! Sooo far the Freedom has been my favorite.

Yes Carnival ships are the best value on the Med.Last time we pay much more for 3 people than this time for 4. Great value, great ships, great service ,great food and entertaiment.GO GO GO:D

I would start by looking at the itineraries and deciding which ports you want to visit. Last year, we wanted to go to Italy so we chose the cruise that had the stops where we wanted to be.

Rome is too much to see in a day. If I were doing it again, I would choose a cruise that went out of Rome (Actually, Civatevechhia) and arrive there a few days early. You can get a good taste of Naples & Florence in a single day, although you'll still miss a lot.

Carnival has fantastic pricing, I'd say yes.... but there are several things to consider.

After cruising a bit we're comfortable with non ship excursions after slowly trying them out, researching like mad on this site and the net and getting them at half the price.

for a first cruise, you may fell safer booking through the "herding" of the ship and miss unique experiences which will cost you so much more.

So before you book, check out the excursions for each port and add up how much $$ it will truley be... the excursions can more than double the price of the cruise. If it's in your budget... god yep, do it:D

My second cruise was to Europe just this past fall - Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Dubrovnik, Venice. It was fantastic! It was also very port-intensive, so you need to be ready for that - not so much lounging by the pool drinking fru fru drinks all day. If that kind of vacation is what you enjoy then you'll love it. If your more interested in relaxing and doing a few ports, it may be better to do Europe on a land-only vacation. But for me - it was perfect. I can sleep and rest at home - how often will I get to see David, the Forum, the Acropolis and sunset over the Venice lagoon?

Sounds like a wonderful itinerary--Dubrovnik is the only one we have not been to on various cruises!

Italy is a drug--once you start going there you never want to stop! The highlight of Florence may be David but I could spend a month in that city--and still not be finished in the Uffizi Gallery! My personal favorite is the Cellini bronze of Perseus in the main piazza. Don't be fooled--the "David" there is a copy--the original is not exposed to the weather. Donatello's bronze David is also in Florence--strange, magnificent statue.

We found Pisa to be far more interesting and beautiful than we expected.

Sicily was also an unexpected pleasure. Don't think "Godfather", think ANCIENT! The Greeks populated Sicily and made it part of their world when the Romans were still tribes in Italy. Homer wrote about it--Scylla and Charybdis were mythically located between Messina and Italy! It's also incredibly beautiful.

Naples means Pompei, but for a really exotic treat, a day trip to Herculaneum is not to be missed! Herculaneum was a seaside resort destroyed in 79 AD when Pompei was ruined. Pompei was a vibrant commercial city, Herculaneum a beautiful resort. Also, Naples is the home of the finest cameos in the world. Little old men sit at tables with crude tools and gnarled hands making these fantastic miniature works of art. Pendants, earrings, cuff links, tie clasps--even table lamps and larger items, all carved from sea shells.

I could go on and on but read up on Santorini, especially the Minoan-era ruins. I was a little familiar with Minoan culture, but totally unprepared for the site at Santorini.

We've only done European cruising on Cunard's Caronia (now the Saga Ruby) and on NCL, so I don't know what the Carnival experience is like. Just don't look forward to beach days the way you would in the Caribbean. We've not yet seen a beach in Europe to match the beaches of the Caribbean islands--even Mykonos is only OK. Only Palma de Majorca (Spain) was as nice as a Carib beach.

But the sun is hot and the water is warm! (usually).

We are going to do the western Med, starting from the UK, next August (this year is Alaska).

If you find a cruise that goes to Turkey, don't hesitate! Istanbul is one of the truly most beautiful cities on earth, far more European than you expect, with a 2000 year old history. People are warm and nice as can be, especially if you can say just Hello, Please and ThankYou in Turkish (Marhaba, Lutfen, Tekersher Ederim). Rug dealers are super-pushy, but if you think of them in the same light as car dealers in the US, it's no big deal.

Watch for pick-pockets--Spain and Istanbul are where you need to be most careful, but you need to be careful everywhere.

Cruising the Med is absolutely wonderful! We've only done it 5 times so far (including a back 2 back on the NCL Jewel last year), but it's a GREAT summer vacation destination!

Agreed that you can't see Rome all in one day and I loved going RT Rome to have a few days to explore this city! This was my first cruise and first time to Europe and we (my DH and I) are so glad we went! My review is quite lengthy, but I give prices to trains, food, ect. that will help if you don't want to do excursions and want to venture out on your own. All the information and tips I got before we left were from these boards, so make sure you have time to plan if you're going to venture out on your own. Most people in Europe speak English and are willing to help you if you're lost. I'd highly recommend going!

Archived