Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this question - can you recommend guidebooks?

If we are allowed to ask and post, I'd love some recommendations for cruise guidebooks and port guidebooks for the Caribbean.

Thanks!

If this is a no-no - sorry :(

You know, I'm not sure but, if we can, you can't go wrong with the Frommer series

If I recall, not too long ago there was a cruise critic member that wrote a book and it was posted on here, so, I can't imagine there is any harm in recommending guidebooks.

I like the "Dummies" series, Frommers is good, so is Berlitz and there is a new one out there that I was given a few weeks ago call What The Brochures Don't Tell You - but that one is more about what to expect on your cruise and has very little to do with ports.

Hope that helps.

If we are allowed to ask and post, I'd love some recommendations for cruise guidebooks and port guidebooks for the Caribbean.

Thanks!

Check out The Complete Guide To Caribbean Cruises by Linda Coffman (also known as The Cruise Diva)

What The Brochures Don't Tell You - but that one is more about what to expect on your cruise and has very little to do with ports.

Will check it out, the title sounds interesting!

I usually go to Fodor's and/or Frommer's on-line -- lots of info on the islands and links to various organization on the islands which gives you even more info. We do have the basic Frommers guidebook for cruising and find it a useful resource but things change rapidly so going on-line is great.

:)

from textbookx.com I learned about the series this past weeks at a seminar at my library. They are the DK books..it sells for $25..but I ordered it for $2.50 plus s/h..a little over $5 total...I've been to Europe 19 x..and going in April , again by car....they had 150 of the same book on hand..it is an outlet, and re-sale...the info on europe really doesent change that much..so if it isin't pristine it is ok for the $. It even shipped today..2/3 days I'll have it.. There is alot in the series..so if you get several for the area you are visiting, it isnt too costly..I just googled DK travel books..and got my site. They have an online live chat person too. That was really nice. I called at 830 a.m. CST, they are EST. Good reading and cruising

from textbookx.com I learned about the series this past weeks at a seminar at my library. They are the DK books..it sells for $25..but I ordered it for $2.50 plus s/h..a little over $5 total...I've been to Europe 19 x..and going in April , again by car....they had 150 of the same book on hand..it is an outlet, and re-sale...the info on europe really doesent change that much..so if it isin't pristine it is ok for the $. It even shipped today..2/3 days I'll have it.. There is alot in the series..so if you get several for the area you are visiting, it isnt too costly..I just googled DK travel books..and got my site. They have an online live chat person too. That was really nice. I called at 830 a.m. CST, they are EST. Good reading and cruising

That's a good deal -- we have the DK Med. Cruise book and it is great.

I will check the site out.

Thanks

Kathy

Another vote for Fromers, theres nothing like highlighting a good book. but know this site as well as several others are full of everything you want to know by real ordinary people. Your questions are simply a posting thread away. Plus I read reviews like mad. Don't forget to check out the destinations as well as the ports of call threads here.

happy cruising

Thanks!

Another really great guide book is right here on Cruise Critic. There are many places to hunt and peck for where you are going. Check the bottom of the page in the jump forum. Go to the islandss you are cruising to and look at the input from people that have been there. You can even ask them a question and maybe they'll get back to you. Start a thread there as to what you might really want to know if it is not already there.

Check the rollcalls for the same ship and itin you are going on. Check the ones going before you. Ask if anyone is doing something you are thinking of doing and if they'll let you know how it was when they get back.

I heavily use this board for info...and have never yet been steered wrong....

Just let your fingers do the walking...;)

Your local library can be a great source to check for travel guides before you go out and spend a lot of money. Just check the published date. While some of the information can be a little outdated, the basic information that will let you know if you are interested in a certain place will be fine. Also check your library for DVDs and VHS tapes of the places you are interested in seeing. I have about a dozen checked out right now going through for the various ports we are scheduled for on our Splendor cruise through Northern Europe next year.

Another good guide book is Rick Steves Europe Through the Back Door or any of his specific country/city guides.

Archived