Imagination 6/28 sailing-young boy unconscious under water in the pool.

irisheileen

I am going to disagree with you here.

It is wonderful that the man was alert enough to realize that the child needed assistance and pulled him from the water.

Still it would be difficult to walk by a drowning child and not pull him from the pool.

I did it once as a teenager when I saw a small boy drowning by my feet. Just reached down and pulled him out.

But you stepped in when it would have been easier to walk away.

Not only that, but you continued with what you knew was best for the child even after the apparently inept nurse arrived on the scene.

It would have been easy then to have backed off and walked away muttering and shaking your head.

It is not always easy to do what is right and you did the right thing.

Not only that, but you are continuing to try to bring the situation to the attention of those who can possibly make cruising safer for us all.

Thank you. You've touched my heart.

Yes, I'm the type that WILL stay and do the right thing in any given situation. What needs to be done, needs to be done!

After it was over, I just wanted to cry with frustration.

Eileen

Honestly, No. It's an outrage. The OP is not a doctor and has limited/no medical training. It sound like a huge exageration to me. NO where did she say she helped anyone. It sounded like she was in the way and busy critcizing people more than anything.

We disagree. I and the rescuer weren't "in the way" while we waited a very long time for help to arrive.

While I was holding his neck stable waiting, was I in the way?

When I called for a backboard, was I in the way?

When I took a history from the poor child who lost consciouness, was I in the way?

When he felt nauseated and I asked for a bucket, was I in the way?

When the other kids parents were yelling at the rescuer and I was still holding the boy's head, was I in the way?

When help finally did arrive 11-15 minutes later and I was TRYING to give report to the nurse, who wasn't listening, was I in the way?

Was I in the way when I insisted that his neck STILL be stabilized while he was plopped into the wheelchair?

Thank goodness that YOU WEREN'T THERE. Maybe YOU would have been a rubbernecker just watching instead of helping.

I do have decades of medical experience in hospital emergency rooms.

There was absolutely no exaggeration in my post. I very carefully and thoughtfully spelled out an appalling lack of emergency care on the part of Carnival representatives.

Trust me when I tell you that Security (by the look in their eyes) on the scene was very glad that the other passenger and I were on the scene helping. They readily grabbed whatever we asked for. The heads of Security personally thanked me and were glad to have my imput on inproving their protocols.

He told me that if someone fell next to them, they can't touch you.

I am proud of what we did and of how I detailed the report in my original post.:)

Eileen

she is an xray tech not a doc or even a nurse. Whatever happened to the young boy anyway?

Just because someone is a nurse doesn't mean that they know emergency procedures. That's one of my points. Paramedics would be an option.

Radiologic Technologists have excellent training and we are professionals.

Gee, it would have been great to have a "doc" respond quickly, so that the passengers didn't have to make decisions quickly.

Eileen

Nurse seemed to have everything under control while the OP seemed to just be getting in the way and confusing the situation

Were you there, cruisecastle?

And how much medical training do YOU have? Or common sense! Anybody with a brain would know that you DON'T stick someone in a chair that's had a head injury! As an x-ray tech who obviously SEES these injuries in her line of work, I'm sure she knows what she's talking about! You immobilize those people until spinal injuries are ruled out!

Ditto!

I've worked in the medical field (ER / Trauma / Med/Surg) for almost 23 years and there are PLENTY of people with little or no medical training who know more than some of our so called professionals.

Kudo's to you Eileen, you did a great thing and I'm glad the little boy is okay.

Archived