Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

LABS, LABS, LABS!!! There are other kinds of dogs??? :eek: Wex is my (well maybe not really mine) 4th lab. I just love them, and would never get anything else. I am not a little dog fan, but there are some cute ones.

DKD did you see my honey in the northeast companion? :D The photo right next to our "friend".

Cindy

You're his Mommy!

Dog Wars!!! Doodle Dilemma!!!! Got to love this thread....

(PS: I have a doodle home for the night. His name is "boom" and he is 3/4 golden 1/4 poodle and looks like a muppet. He lives in the same room as Cooler and he wanted a sleepover with Cooler's mom, so now he has it. Plan for a dinner outing, he's helping with the laundry and then back home in the morning. ) Roz, I'll try to get a picture, he sure doesn't look like a classic doodle, not seeing much shedding though.

I'm excited!!!!! I'm really excited about the lack of shedding!!!! Let us know when he leaves if he leaves any fur behind! :eek:

Gotta love those Labs and Golden's and their crosse's. I totally understand the love that everyone has for them!

Although, I must tell you we've had everything from Chihuahua's to Great Dane's and a lot in between, I just love them all!!!!!

Oh yes! We had a golden - actually she was 3/4 golden and 1/4 lab, but looked all golden. How she used to shed! And how we loved her - a wonderful dog, so willing and gentle.

LABS, LABS, LABS!!! There are other kinds of dogs??? :eek: Wex is my (well maybe not really mine) 4th lab. I just love them, and would never get anything else. I am not a little dog fan, but there are some cute ones.

DKD did you see my honey in the northeast companion? :D The photo right next to our "friend".

Cindy

I don't think we got a copy. Is it on the CCI site? Let me go check.

:) Aren't they the most wonderful beings? :)

Yes. Jess, our 3/4 golden, 1/4 lab was not a service dog, but she was my protector. When we went our for walks, she always placed herself between me and anyone we met.

Whenever DH went away on business, she would sleep on the floor, right beside my side of the bed. Any intruder would have had to get past her to get to me. She never did this when DH was at home.

Yes. Jess, our 3/4 golden, 1/4 lab was not a service dog, but she was my protector. When we went our for walks, she always placed herself between me and anyone we met.

Whenever DH went away on business, she would sleep on the floor, right beside my side of the bed. Any intruder would have had to get past her to get to me. She never did this when DH was at home.

Awwww! I love these stories. Brenda has shown her protective "colors" on more than one occasion and it totally surprised both of us when she did it!!!!

She's a "bold" and "beautiful" older woman!

Welcome, Karla!

That's really cool about teaching martial arts to disabled kids, especially those with Autism. I think I saw a reality show one time where the Autistic kid on that episode was into martial arts and it was really great for him!

Yes, I have found that it teaches the children to "focus", and I think alot of times, we, as a society, tend to "cater" too much---in Karate, I EXPECT the kids to be respectful, I EXPECT Them to try! I love them, I am fair, but I have expectations.

That's really interesting about the MS flares and the oxygen under pressure! (Sorry for my ignorance, but does that mean just being on any oxygen tank would help? Or that you have to be on oxygen underwater?)

Nope, it needs to be "under pressure". IE, either in a hyperbaric chamber, or underwater, preferably below "one atmosphere"(33ft.)

How come you don't eat the lobsters? I have some friends who do SCUBA and they eat their fish and lobsters.

I don't care for the texture of shell fish(too rubbery?). I will eat it, if it is cooked correctly or a certain way, but not often.

I love FISH tho----just not shell fish!!

Welcome, Karla!

That's really cool about teaching martial arts to disabled kids, especially those with Autism. I think I saw a reality show one time where the Autistic kid on that episode was into martial arts and it was really great for him!

That's really interesting about the MS flares and the oxygen under pressure! (Sorry for my ignorance, but does that mean just being on any oxygen tank would help? Or that you have to be on oxygen underwater?)

How come you don't eat the lobsters? I have some friends who do SCUBA and they eat their fish and lobsters.

Anyway, good to see you on here! :cool:

Largo actually goes on the dive boats with me. A live-a-board she is hanging out either on deck or in the room. She has to be back-tied(something every dog should learn to "tolerate) to keep her from jumping in after me tho!!!

AND, this from the dog who doesn't like to get a bath...Eyes rolling....:eek:

I hadn't heard of those cruises before, but that's really cool. It definitely would be cool to see old stuff underwater like that! You will NEVER find me doing that, though, 'cause I don't do being underwater well!! :p

What do you do with your service dog when you dive? Or have you not done a multi-day one so have only left your dog home when you go?

Yes, I have "Cruised" with a service dog, a couple of times. To the Bahama's and in the BVI(Gotta Love St. Croix!!!!)

I want to do some small dive charter(Live aboards) in The med, sometime in the next couple of years. I love old stuff, and figure seeing stuff underwater would be great!

On some other notes, I do travel extensively with my crew of dogs(Europe, Asia, Middle East). Largo and I were in Bagdad in 09, after which we went to Rome for a week(WWW.LargoDoesRome.blogspot.com).

Had a blast!

I saw the picture of "Largo" in Rome. What a handsome boy. He looks like he's smiling right at you!

I hope that pilot who gave him and you such a hard time flies one more airplane and then he/himself drops out of the sky into a pile of cow manure [dog manure just wouldn't be quite enough]! :eek:

OMG! Speaking of "coats" I could have made enough coats to clothe all the children in China and, I could have built more than 100 dogs from the fur that Brenny has shed in the past 8 1/2 years.

You know you can collect your dog's fur and send it in to ppl who will turn it into yarn and either send it back to you or knit it into something for you. Strange, but apparently ppl actually do it!

Yes, I have found that it teaches the children to "focus", and I think alot of times, we, as a society, tend to "cater" too much---in Karate, I EXPECT the kids to be respectful, I EXPECT Them to try! I love them, I am fair, but I have expectations.

Awesome. :)

Nope, it needs to be "under pressure". IE, either in a hyperbaric chamber, or underwater, preferably below "one atmosphere"(33ft.)

Ah, that stinks. (I have a friend with MS.) But, that's great that you get to do it!

I don't care for the texture of shell fish(too rubbery?). I will eat it, if it is cooked correctly or a certain way, but not often.

I love FISH tho----just not shell fish!!

Gotcha. :cool: Do you sell the lobsters you catch?

Largo actually goes on the dive boats with me. A live-a-board she is hanging out either on deck or in the room. She has to be back-tied(something every dog should learn to "tolerate) to keep her from jumping in after me tho!!!

AND, this from the dog who doesn't like to get a bath...Eyes rolling....:eek:

That's great! I bet she loves being out on the water. :)

What's back-tying?

That's sweet that she wants to be with you so much she'll jump in the water! My dog loves me, but not enough to go in the water with me, haha. :p

By the way, I found some adorable doggy luggage tags I think you'll all enjoy! I ordered one for myself - they are too cute!!! Plus, I did actually need a luggage tag for one of my bags for the cruise (the one with the potty pads in it), so I could even justify the purchase, though it is only $5.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=DV6V70SDMTTN8G8NGFT2H3TX74WCDJB1&pf_id=0036261&cmkw=80-w1

80W1.jpg

Greetings to All,

I just join CC this week. I see there are a number of knowledgeable people on this list. If I may ask a number of ?s. We are going on the Iceland & Greenland Explorer: Southampton to New York cruise so we have to fly into England. What do we need to do to bring my husband’s Seeing Eye Dog into England? Also the other ports which are: BERGEN, NORWAY & LERWICK, GREAT BRITAIN & TORSHAVN, FAROE ISLANDS & AKUREYRI, ICELAND REYKJAVIK, ICELAND & NUUK, GREENLAND &

NANORTALIK, GREENLAND

This is our first trip to Europe. It is just my husband with a dog, I am a cane user. Thanks to all Michele:)

Greetings to All,

I just join CC this week. I see there are a number of knowledgeable people on this list. If I may ask a number of ?s. We are going on the Iceland & Greenland Explorer: Southampton to New York cruise so we have to fly into England. What do we need to do to bring my husband’s Seeing Eye Dog into England? Also the other ports which are: BERGEN, NORWAY & LERWICK, GREAT BRITAIN & TORSHAVN, FAROE ISLANDS & AKUREYRI, ICELAND REYKJAVIK, ICELAND & NUUK, GREENLAND &

NANORTALIK, GREENLAND

This is our first trip to Europe. It is just my husband with a dog, I am a cane user. Thanks to all Michele:)

Welcome!

England/Ireland/Great Britain has strict rules that you have to follow or your dog will not be allowed, service dog or not. You have to follow the Pet Passport Scheme. One of the requirements is the rabies titer test with a six-month wait after the blood is drawn (if the test shows it is adequate) before the dog can enter those countries. (If the dog was not microchipped prior to the rabies vaccination, the dog MUST be revaccinated with rabies after the microchip has been inserted.) Another requirement is you cannot enter them until six months has passed since the dog has been in non-qualified countries, which include some of the Caribbean countries (like the Bahamas) and a bunch of other countries. Also, the dog cannot enter the country except at a few certain airports. There are other requirements, too.

You will find the British and UK travel and quarantine info. on the IAADP site helpful (there is also the link to the official DEFRA site, which will give you more info. on the Pet Passport Scheme and requirements): http://www.iaadp.org/access.html

They do NOT give exemptions to these import rules like some of the Caribbean countries sometimes do for service dogs (especially those on a cruise).

You will have to look up the requirements for the other countries to be certain, but likely if you have the Pet Passport, you'll be set for most or all of them.

By the way, I found some adorable doggy luggage tags I think you'll all enjoy! I ordered one for myself - they are too cute!!! Plus, I did actually need a luggage tag for one of my bags for the cruise (the one with the potty pads in it), so I could even justify the purchase, though it is only $5.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=DV6V70SDMTTN8G8NGFT2H3TX74WCDJB1&pf_id=0036261&cmkw=80-w1

80W1.jpg

These are so, so cute! Got to have the Black Lab!

Greetings to All,

NANORTALIK, GREENLAND

Harlan: Welcome to our thread. It sounds like you'll be doing quite of bit of traveling with your SD. Be careful of the strays; watch your dogs intake of water prior to the air travel [using ice chips only, if needed.]

As Quam suggested go to the IAADP website for the most current travel information to foreign countries. Or, your Vet may have some good information for you.

The only problem we had were the TSA agents who insisted on "patting" Brenda down away from me. It made for some pretty "tense" moments. Since then, I've learned to INSIST that Brenda and I NOT BE SEPARATED. They truly caught me off guard and I won't let that happen again. So, look for that and have a wonderful trip.

We found the "Brits" to be very hospitable and friendly! Only once in Stratford on Avon we were asked not to bring Brenda into a Museum. I didn't "push" and, we took turns going in, while one of us waited outside with her.

Hi Quampapetet and wizard-of-roz,

Thank you for your help on this. I did go to the website and found a lot of info it sound like what we had to do when we cruise to Hawaii in Feb. Did you go on this cruise at one time? wizard-of-roz I see that you are going to be on the Sapphire on 11-27 we are going to be on the Sapphire the week before to MR We are going for my birthday which is on Thanksgiving this year. Thanks Michele:)

Thank you for your help on this. I did go to the website and found a lot of info it sound like what we had to do when we cruise to Hawaii in Feb. Did you go on this cruise at one time? wizard-of-roz I see that you are going to be on the Sapphire on 11-27 we are going to be on the Sapphire the week before to MR We are going for my birthday which is on Thanksgiving this year. Thanks Michele:)

Sounds like you're good to go as far as the rabies titers, then! I believe the UK accepts titers forever unless the rabies vaccination deadline was missed by even one day (but double-check on this, as I know Hawaii only accepts the titers for three years and it has been a while since I've checked the actual details for the UK).

I haven't gone on the cruise you're going on, but I have looked into doing a land trip to England and/or Ireland in the past. I have a family member in England and I've always wanted to see Ireland. Not sure if I'll ever get there or not, but maybe someday....

Michele, you MUST save me some ship, it's such a small world. Will you be taking your dog? What's your dogs name [i believe it's your DH's dog.] And, what cabin are you in?

We always meet with the Hotel Manager - the Sapphire's manager is [sheila Griffin], when we first board to make sure that Brenda's potty box placement is correct. [You can also do this with your Steward.]

If you are in the aft [back of the ship] have them place the potty box in the stairwell. This way you can go [with your pajama's on] to the box. The only difficulty would be the HEAVY door and the step-up. But, once the dog and you are in the stairwell it's wonderful and private.

Brenda has been on so many Princess cruises [we use the same cabin], she knows exactly what to do and where to go.......I just open the door and she immediately walks to the box without any command.

I also like it because I can go "casual" and not worry about bumping into too many other passengers.

We love the Sapphire. Have a wonderful cruise!

Michele, you MUST save me some ship, it's such a small world. Will you be taking your dog? What's your dogs name [i believe it's your DH's dog.] And, what cabin are you in?

We always meet with the Hotel Manager - the Sapphire's manager is [sheila Griffin], when we first board to make sure that Brenda's potty box placement is correct. [You can also do this with your Steward.]

If you are in the aft [back of the ship] have them place the potty box in the stairwell. This way you can go [with your pajama's on] to the box. The only difficulty would be the HEAVY door and the step-up. But, once the dog and you are in the stairwell it's wonderful and private.

Brenda has been on so many Princess cruises [we use the same cabin], she knows exactly what to do and where to go.......I just open the door and she immediately walks to the box without any command.

I also like it because I can go "casual" and not worry about bumping into too many other passengers.

Hi Wizard-of-roz,

Yes, we will save the point of the ship for you. Yes Randolph is coming with DH I know the H is for husband what is the D? I am a cane user. We are going to be in

Cabin D416, what is your Cabin? That is a good idea about the box. Do you work with the access office? Randolph has been on Princess and Carnival. And in Feb 2011 he is going to be on NCL this will be his first time. We are going to be on the Sapphire again in May 2011

I love to cruise as you can see;):o;):o:) What cruises have you been on with Brenda? Can you IM on CC?

Happy Cruising, Michele:)