Formal Night Question - Is there ever occasion for white tie and tails?

WestchesterCruiseFan

Westchester,

There is never a "Required" white tie affair on board.

However, despite what the arbiters of taste on these boards will insist is proper or improper, no one will look askance if someone shows up in tails. I've seen it, I think pretty much every cruise. Mostly, what you hear is oohs and ahhs. Upping the standards never gets looked down upon. People admire the looks, maybe they think the day is extra special for that person or couple, but they do not seems to feel that it makes them look underdressed.

Of course, that is m experience and my opinion. Others may disagree. I say go for it.

Karie,

who has actually worn tails herself (well, okay, with a gorgeous sequined flamingo on the back. But I did look divine, if I must say so myself! And yes, the tailcoat was authentic.)

Just wondering if there any ultra-formal nights on a World Cruise that requires white and tails.

They aren't required but there is nothing to stop you enjoying wearing them on any formal night. Perfectly correct to dress above the dress code in proper evening dress!

Miss Manners offers this caution about white tie: "... gentlemen strive to look more like orchestra conductors than headwaiters." If I am ever invited to a white tie event (unlikely), I must remember to carry a baton.

White tie is for ultra formal. However, you could do black tie with tails if you so wish. I've seen tails with black tie on many voyages.

Just be prepared for somebody to order a meal from you.

Only waiters and servants wear a black tie with a tailcoat. :rolleyes:

Tailcoat = white tie.

Dinner-jacket = black tie.

Comedian or bookie's runner = coloured tie.

Miss Manners offers this caution about white tie: "... gentlemen strive to look more like orchestra conductors than headwaiters." If I am ever invited to a white tie event (unlikely), I must remember to carry a baton.

I've always thought Miss Manners was a bit of an idiot...hmmm, that's not polite. Well, as we say in the south, "Bless her little heart.." That phrase can always be followed by something so nasty it can extinguished the sun's light! It's a southern tradition. After all, a southern lady would NEVER say anything bad about a person, or anything rude... unless it was while taking pity. "Bless her little heart, is that the ugliest hat you've ever seen? Poor mule must be missing it!"

Let me just say that I do not always agree with Miss Manners. And *I* went to the Wendy Ward Charm School! <G> (I really did!)

No one will mistake you for a head waiter OR a conductor. (If they do, just say, "Why yes, I AM Arturo Toscanini, why do you ask?" Or if you prefer, Spike Jones! (for you older readers who know I am NOT talking about the movie director) BTW, My favorite Spike Jones (and his city Slicker band) is "Dinner Music...for people who aren't very hungry!"

Karie,

who never wanders off topic!

Here I sit in Atlanta laughing at you two from Connecticut and New Jersey using "bless her heart" and "bless your heart." Touché!

Laura

Ah, yes.

But I was born in Chattanooga, went to UT, and most of my relatives live in Marietta (with a sister in Waycross) So I qualify to use the term! (also Y'all!)

I'm an unrepentant Southerner!

Karie,

"You can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl" (more properly pronounced "cain't")

I've always thought Miss Manners was a bit of an idiot...hmmm, that's not polite. Well, as we say in the south, "Bless her little heart.." That phrase can always be followed by something so nasty it can extinguished the sun's light! It's a southern tradition. After all, a southern lady would NEVER say anything bad about a person, or anything rude... unless it was while taking pity. "Bless her little heart, is that the ugliest hat you've ever seen? Poor mule must be missing it!"

Let me just say that I do not always agree with Miss Manners. And *I* went to the Wendy Ward Charm School! <G> (I really did!)

No one will mistake you for a head waiter OR a conductor. (If they do, just say, "Why yes, I AM Arturo Toscanini, why do you ask?" Or if you prefer, Spike Jones! (for you older readers who know I am NOT talking about the movie director) BTW, My favorite Spike Jones (and his city Slicker band) is "Dinner Music...for people who aren't very hungry!"

Karie,

who never wanders off topic!

Cocktails for Two???...:D

Cocktails for Two???...:D

You win the prize

Karie,

On some secluded rendezvous (honk, honk, beep, beep)

that overlooks the avenue (Whoopee, clang,clang)

(But the dagger never caused it,

Pal-yat-chee was plumb exhausted!)

Doesn't crossing the equator have something to do with wearing a white tux?

I used to think that one was only worn between the tropics, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. I suspect that rule was first thought up as guidance. As far as there is a rule on cruise ships I think it's down to that lines policies for the crew; whilst passengers do as they like:(

Not sure whether it follows for tails as well though.

I've never heard of any guidance on tails - I think that they are just a different degree of formality rather than something worn that's dependant on climate.

Just be prepared for somebody to order a meal from you.

Only waiters and servants wear a black tie with a tailcoat. :rolleyes:

Tailcoat = white tie.

Dinner-jacket = black tie.

Comedian or bookie's runner = coloured tie.

What about a Monopoly tie? :eek: What does that signify? ;)

Matthew

You win the prize

Karie,

Ya'll sound like "My Old Flame but I cain't remember his name":D

I love white tie and tails

I'm only 30, but we used to watch a lot of classic movies in my house when I was growing up, and the classic movie channel used to show Spike Jones clips in between the films. My favorite part about Spike Jones was his incredible taste in suits (imagine one of those appearing on informal night on QE2!). I always wished I could see them in color, but alas, I've only seen them in black-and-white footage.

Oh, and I think the movie director spells it Jonze instead of Jones, so I immediately knew who you were talking about!

Anyway, back to white tie...I think it would be fine to wear white tie even if it's not required. Especially if you were celebrating a special occasion onboard.

What about a Monopoly tie? :eek: What does that signify? ;)

Matthew

Perhaps that you like Atlantic City, NJ, and that you don't know any better? Donald Trump must have lots of those ties, all clip-ons.

Paul

Ya'll sound like "My Old Flame but I cain't remember his name":D

I love white tie and tails

"I'll never forget what's-her-name"

I'm only 30, but we used to watch a lot of classic movies in my house when I was growing up, and the classic movie channel used to show Spike Jones clips in between the films. My favorite part about Spike Jones was his incredible taste in suits (imagine one of those appearing on informal night on QE2!). I always wished I could see them in color, but alas, I've only seen them in black-and-white footage.

The one on the cover of "Dinner music (for people who aren't very hungry)" is bright yellow with black stripes running both vertically and horizontally.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, he wore a bowtie!

Yep. I wonder what a few of the "proper dress" people could do with what HE would show up in! (And btw, he was a chain smoker!)

Karie,

whose parents saw Spike Jones in New Orleans on their honeymoon! That explains a lot!

1215725761_SpikeJones.jpg.85cd9cc230c5da09f4464a81a8daa9be.jpg

You win the prize

Karie,

I too am a Spike Jones fan. Who was his wife/partner?

Rich

Archived