Can you convert 8 cabins to a group & should I turn over to TA?

I have been lurking on the boards for quite a while and usually can find the answer to my questions without posting but now I hope for some advice.

We are giving the extended family a cruise for Christmas. We are going to do the 3 day Sovereign of the Seas departing Jan 14. I booked directly with RCCL. I originally booked 6 cabins - 3 JS (deck 10) - 3 superior oceanview with two of them adjoining (deck 9). I booked these cabins in February. I applied family/friend & C&A coupons to some of the cabins where I could. I also booked these before the announcement of the added balconies so since then the price of the JS have gone up $100 pp for a total difference of $600.
Last month some friends decided to accompany us and I booked 2 interior cabins for them.

I know that you can get credit back for 1 person ( I would assume the cheapest price) for booking at least 16 berths and we have a total of 23 people. My question is could I still do this without losing the benefit of booking early? Any experts out there who could help me out?

Secondly, since these plans were very iffy when we first made them, I booked directly with RCCL to make sure there would not be any TA imposed cancellations if we decided we couldn't go prior to the November final payment date. I mentioned to my business partner that I had thought about turning the booking over to her usual TA prior to the final payment. She later told me she asked her TA about it and she said everything should transfer "fine." That really didn't answer my question about the free berth and when you are trying to take the whole family any credit would help. So, experienced cruisers, should I transfer or not? Advantages and Disadvantages? All of my work involves details so the planning really doesn't bother me. (Actually I enjoy it!!!!)

I hope you are able to follow what I am asking. If there is more I should be looking for with the # of cruisers, fine but I already feel like I am getting a good deal. In my inexperience with groups, I just don't want to find out later all I had to do was ask.

Thanks.
Sonya

If you want to convert this over to the group dept. first contact RCI and see if group space for that sailing is still open. Being a non holiday sailing and this far out, chanes are that you will be able to convert and not only be eligible for the FREE BERTH for the 16th passenger (based on double occupancy)but possibly some other perks. The free berth costs will based on the highest percentage of staterooms sold within the group and if it is the exact amount when comparing you will get the lower fareof the two. Personally I would just leave it with RCI for now unless you are just need the assistance of a TA on this one. You did all the work thus far !

I agree with Travel Angel.
I would check out the group option with RCCL.

I'm no expert... but in the past I have transferred bookings from RCCL to outside TAs without any problems. I got to keep my cabin, onboard credit (for booking on board) and such. But that was way before the new discount rules.

You could always just query a TA before giving them your actual booking.

Archived