Help me with info. about cars, beaches, trains, etc. in Lisbon.

My hubby and I are going to Lisbon with HAL in a few weeks. I do not want do do any of the ships tours, but do love the beaches in Portugal, so I thought we could go to Tamariz Beach near Estoril.

Should we hire a car, or go by train. ? My husband is quite used to driving in Spain, France and Portugal, so that will not be a problem. I am not able to walk for long periods of time, so the availability of car hire pick up sites , or how far, and means to get to the station , would be a factor. Does any one know how often the trains run ? Do they run on Sunday ?

I do not expect any one to answer all of the questions, I can build up a picture if you all provide little bits. :)

Any other ideas or experiences of this area, or other non tour places, or other good beaches, could also help with my picture building. :)

Thank you very much for your information. !! :)

Do you, or any one else know if they run frequently on Sundays ? How far is it from the Port to the Station . ? Do we need to take a taxi , the ship's shuttle ? any info. at all on other OP questions......

My picture is just a tiny little postage stamp size so far

You can check the train schedule for your individual day at

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

This is the information system of the German railway but provides the schedules for train in all of Europe. (I posted the English language page.)

How far it is to the station depends on where you ship docks. There are various piers for cruise ships all along the waterfront. If it is not in walking distance you can either take the tram which runs along the waterfront or take a taxi. The shuttle probably takes you into the city centre, were also a station is located but not the one you need.

What are you interested in when ask for "other non-tour places"? Beaches, historic sights, ...?

You can check the train schedule for your individual day at

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

This is the information system of the German railway but provides the schedules for train in all of Europe. (I posted the English language page.)

How far it is to the station depends on where you ship docks. There are various piers for cruise ships all along the waterfront. If it is not in walking distance you can either take the tram which runs along the waterfront or take a taxi. The shuttle probably takes you into the city centre, were also a station is located but not the one you need.

What are you interested in when ask for "other non-tour places"? Beaches, historic sights, ...?

Hi Carlmm, thanks for very valuable info, especially about not going to the wrong station .!! :eek:

I am rather leaning towards doing a " beach thing ", but I am rather concerned that if I for instance took the train to Tamariz, as its a Sunday, would it be very crowded ?

Is there any where actually in the port area where we can hire or pick up a car ? Would the train be less hassle. ?

I am doing so much research and getting no where I just want to do a simple chill ! :D I found a lovely little beach but you have to catch a ferry, so I would be sitting there all day worrying about catching the ferry back. Oh, the trials and tribulations of crusing ! :)

Archived