What to see in Rome in 9 hrs

We will be in Rome for 9 hours on our Brilliance cruise the end of October.

We (2 couples mid 50's) are going to do a "Rome on your own" with one of the tour companies.

We are not interested in the Vatican or spending hours standing in lines for a particular site.

That being said.......would you make suggestions on what you think should not be missed. Nice place for lunch?

I have been before and would like to return to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navrona, Coliseum.....

I remember going through the Borghese Gardens, but my trip was in 79....I don't know if these places are still high on the "to do" list.

Thanks

We will be in Rome for 9 hours on our Brilliance cruise the end of October.

We (2 couples mid 50's) are going to do a "Rome on your own" with one of the tour companies.

We are not interested in the Vatican or spending hours standing in lines for a particular site.

That being said.......would you make suggestions on what you think should not be missed. Nice place for lunch?

I have been before and would like to return to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navrona, Coliseum.....

I remember going through the Borghese Gardens, but my trip was in 79....I don't know if these places are still high on the "to do" list.

Thanks

You can see all you want in your 9 hours( or less re travel time of course) as stated above and the B.Gardens are still there.I would just get out and walk to all the sights,but if you are with a tour company I don't know what they amy do for you.At that time of year the lines should not be all that bad if you wanted to see the inside of the Colosso,and I would have a nice luncheon around the P.Navona as there are some nice restos there.If you all wanted to walk up the via del Corso toward the "wedding cake" aka V.Emanuel memeorial there are some new ruins that have been discovered and excavated(an old market..a mall in today's terms) along the walk to the Colosso.If you are up that way at lunch time and don't want to go back then I would suggest the rooftop of the Forum Hotel for luncheon.It is pricey to be sure,but really nice and the view is something else.I am sure you will have a wonderful day...great time of year to be there.

We leave the drop off point, by St Peters and walk over to the Piazza Navona, then onto the Pantheon and then accross to the Trevi Fountain. You only have to take a a short walk to the Spanish Steps. Then walk down to the Forum and through the Forum to the Colloseum . Leave the Colloseum by cab (8 euros) to St Peters and do the Brasillica before the arranged meeing time.

You can get straight into the Colloseum by joining a tour at the Green Hut by the Metro Entrance. This will cost you 10 euros plus the entry fee, but you will skip all the lines.

A good place to get Pizza, lunch, Ice cream or Coffee is by the Trevi fountain.

This is all very doable in the time you have. look at a map and get your bearings before you go.

Last year we took 5 other couples with us on this walk and all had a fantastic time.

Let me know if I can help any more

Andy

My vote would be for the Colosseum, Forum / Palatine Hill, and the Pantheon.

There is an alley with a sign pointing toward Trevi Fountain on your right when you stand with your back toward the Pantheon entrance. Probably about a 3/4 mile walk there.

So you are saying that a "paid" tour to take us around is not necessary? The main sights are all within walking distance from each other.

And isn't there a hop on hop off bus that after our inner city walk, we can board and ride around?

the paid "on your own" is 550E per car.....that's about $370 per couple, which if we did on our own, don't need to spend.

So you are saying that a "paid" tour to take us around is not necessary? The main sights are all within walking distance from each other.

And isn't there a hop on hop off bus that after our inner city walk, we can board and ride around?

the paid "on your own" is 550E per car.....that's about $370 per couple, which if we did on our own, don't need to spend.

I am not Andy,and I am sure he will reply,BUT you sure do not need a PAID tour especially for that price.You can walk to all the sites or use the #110 HOHO bus if you want to get an overview.Rome is one of the most walkable to the sights cities there is IMHO.If you want to see the B.Gardens again just walk up to the top of the SS's and over to via Veneto to the top of the street where the old wall is and there you are.A good city map will be your best friend.Save your money and shop along the way:D .

Suzys - in Naples we are doing the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii........in Livorno, rather than Florence and Pisa, we are going to San Gimiginano and Siena, so these two will include alot of countryside.

I thought the city and sights of the city would be nice. None of us are particularly interested in churches and museums.....but I remember getting pizza in the Piazza Navrona and ice creme...and the vendors were wonderul.......but we were there for several days and I don't remember much since I was 23 and single.....and had a wildly adventurous spirit....

We will be in Venice for 2 days and we will pop in/out of churches a bit.

I think we will get a nice map as suggested and plot out some strategies with everyones guidance and advice and forgo the expensive tour.....I didn't realize so much is so close....don't need someone to drive me to the next block? Plus I would miss the stores along the way....LOL

Feel free everyone to throw in your 2 cents regarding the order of sights to see.

I will also check on (on CC) how to get to the starting point from the dock, unless someone can make a suggestion.

we are open to buses and trains.....adventurous.

thanks soooo much all!

Don't know what other ports you plan on visiting, but this Hop On/Hop Off company gives you 10% off future uses. I plan to use them in Rome, then again in Naples, Florence and Pisa and utilize the 10% discount after Rome.

http://www.roma.city-sightseeing.it/eng/index.htm

Rome is walkable, if you are young and fit. I'm 61 and my friend is 79. We might walk a little, but think the HoHo bus will be just right for us at $15 EUR pp for Rome.

We took the train from Civitivecchia to Rome and back. Got off the ship just as soon as she docked and caught the free port shuttle to the entrance. We then walked to the train station about 1/3 to 1/2 mile. Just walk along the seawall area and you will see the train station across the street. We purchased BIRG tickets which not only gave us roundtrip train transport to Rome, but use of the Metro (subway) and city buses all day. You can either exit the train at St Peter's (Pietro) as suggested in previous postings here, or else take the train all the way to Roma Termini (last stop) and catch the Metro if you want to do the Colliseum area first. If you want to you can also purchase HOHO bus tickets right there at Roma Termini and see the sights that way. The choice is up to you. There are pros and cons of all the ways suggested on this board. Just read up on others experiences.

Beth & Rob,

Yes I am saying that the 550 E tour is not required. Unlike some others on the boards we don't do the train. We take the ships offerring, 'on your own' bus, which drops you by St Peters. If you do take the train, you can get off the train at the stop before Termini and this brings you more or less out at the same place.

We casually walk and have always had plenty of time. We have never bothered with the HOHO bus. We took taxis back from the Colloseum to St Peters last year and the taxi was 8 euros per cab. From memory I think the bus was about $50 each.

Try Romebudy for a detailed map and info.

Andy

Archived