Charleston Hotel options

SueF

jimc,

Here are some ideas for a day in Charleston (you mentioned you had 2 grandkids with you (I believe).

1 South Carolina Aquarium and a boat trip to Fort Sumter---near the parking line to the ship.

2 Visit the market area as a previous poster suggested.We always eat some great seafood at Hymans Seafood (voted best in the South year after year) .

If you do the first suggestion, which is a great one, you will not have any time to see Charleston. The boat trip will take a minimum of four hours and the Aquarium at least two. I'd save that for a time when you can come back.

As for Hyman's, if you want seafood eat at Hank's. I really like the Crispy Fish (whole bably flounder deep fried) but there are so much better places for seafood. It was outstanding 25 years ago but now is just good. Not bad certainly but other places are so much better.

We have just been notified the the Majesty on the 31st May will not leave Charleston until 7:00pm (boarding at 4:00 pm). So that gives the family almost a whole day to spend in Charleston. So what can you suggest we do all day. We love to walk, so in reality what may be doable?

Did they tell you why the delay? Thanks

If I remember, it was something to do with having two ships docked at the same time. (Only have room for one)

We have watched the ship leave as late as 10 pm before. I live on the Isle of Palms and have been on the back deck of the Windjammer or the VFW (the post on the coast) and look out to sea and there was the Majesty leaving. I guess it had left the dock around 9ish in reality.

• 2 weeks later...
Walk across the street and take the Carriage Tour. Afterwards, walk down Meeting Street to Wentworth (about three blocks) and get in line for brunch at Jestine's Kitchen. While you are in line waiting for a table, take turns walking directly across the street to the fire station and check out the old fire trucks. One is from around 1836, one is from around 1900, and the last one is from the 1950s. Really cool.
I'll have to second the eating at Jestine's. They have the best fried chicken. Homemade delicious crispy juicy wonderful-ness! The Coca cola cake is pretty darn tasty too. :)

Archived