Is Feb a good time to Cruise to Caribbean? Which Itinery?

Moo_Cruiser

Hi all

Calling on the experienced "Caribbean cruisers"!!

We are considering a cruise to the Caribbean in Feb 08, however I am trying to find out if this is a good time to go in terms of weather and calm seas. We have only been on one cruise, therfore are not "seasoned cruisers" and are not keen for rough seas! Which itinery is better for this time of year - Eastern or Western Caribbean? Or would Hawaii be a better choice?

Also, as we live in Australia, I am not clear when the school vacation times are in the US. Would Feb/March be spring break time? We would prefer to avoid a school vacation period.

Also keen for tips on cruise lines that are good for couples and offer more dining options on their ships, if anyone has any recommendations.

Would much appreciate peoples suggestions and advice.:)

Thanks

Cheers

Moo Cruiser:D

February is a nice time to Cruise the Caribbean. Personally, I would go to Hawaii over the Caribbean. I like the beauty of the Hawaii Islands over the Caribbean.

In terms of the Caribbean I prefer the western over the eastern because normally with the western they stop at Grand Cayman, which we really like, Cozumel which is nice and Key West which also like. However, I do not care for Ocho Rios.

Keith

Thanks so much for your help Keith and Here I come 2 (love that name)!!

We are now seriously considering a cruise on NCL - Pride of Hawaii - Honolulu - LA on 28 Jan 08 and are researching it now. It is a great price and a one off as the ship will then be working the med.

Maybe you can help out with a couple more questions if I'm not pushing it:D ; do you think the crossing from Honolulu to LA (4 straight days at sea) will be rough on 5 Feb? We have have not done such a big crossing before and are concerned about getting seasick, especially being at sea continually for that long and with it being Winter.:o I believe that Hawaii will be warm and calm.

And will LA be cold?

Would appreciate any advice or info.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Amanda:p :)

g'day -

I have never been on a Hawaii cruise, but I have been to Hawaii in January at it was nice. Being in the Pacific in the winter, I wouldn't rule out rough seas on the crossing back to the mainland though, and LA in February can be nice or it can be wet - it is somewhat unpredicable. It will certainly not be hot though.

I have been in the Caribbean several times in February and the weather is generally great. You may feel a little rocking, but I can't ever remember seeing anyone seasick. If you are concerned with rough seas, the western and southern routes are usually considered calmer than the eastern. If you are doing the southern route you would need to fly to San Juan, Puerto Rico for departure. The seas are usually calmer in the summer, except that is when the wet season begins.

As for school vacations, they are usually during the weeks before and after easter (March or April) and in the summer (Mid June to late August) and at Christmas.

g'day -

I have never been on a Hawaii cruise, but I have been to Hawaii in January at it was nice. Being in the Pacific in the winter, I wouldn't rule out rough seas on the crossing back to the mainland though, and LA in February can be nice or it can be wet - it is somewhat unpredicable. It will certainly not be hot though.

I have been in the Caribbean several times in February and the weather is generally great. You may feel a little rocking, but I can't ever remember seeing anyone seasick. If you are concerned with rough seas, the western and southern routes are usually considered calmer than the eastern. If you are doing the southern route you would need to fly to San Juan, Puerto Rico for departure. The seas are usually calmer in the summer, except that is when the wet season begins.

As for school vacations, they are usually during the weeks before and after easter (March or April) and in the summer (Mid June to late August) and at Christmas.

G'day to you 2112!

Thanks so much for all that info...it's exactly what I've been trying to find out!

Mmmmm, so we just have to decide if we're willing to brave the potentially rough seas during the crossing...bring on the seasick meds:(

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers

Amanda

do you think the crossing from Honolulu to LA (4 straight days at sea) will be rough on 5 Feb?

There is a possibility that the Pacific Ocean will be very rough (windy and cold) in February. I live in Southern California and from my memory, December and January are more cold and windy than February, but it is still considered our "rainy" season. It is also Whale migration season, so you may luck out there!

Personally, when we took the Mexican Rivera from Long Beach and had to spend 2-1/2 days on ship, we were edging on bored and claustrophobic near the end of that time.

I would much rather fly to Hawaii and spend 4 extra days there, then on a cruise ship in the middle of nowhere.

There is a possibility that the Pacific Ocean will be very rough (windy and cold) in February. I live in Southern California and from my memory, December and January are more cold and windy than February, but it is still considered our "rainy" season. It is also Whale migration season, so you may luck out there!

Personally, when we took the Mexican Rivera from Long Beach and had to spend 2-1/2 days on ship, we were edging on bored and claustrophobic near the end of that time.

I would much rather fly to Hawaii and spend 4 extra days there, then on a cruise ship in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for that lestoby! This seems to be what I am hearing consistently from a few sources, that the seas may be rough. And I had thought of the 4 days at sea becoming abit tedious, especially if it's cold and you can't really be on the decks much!

Maybe we might try a spring cruise instead, say in April. Can anyone tell me when the school vacation dates are for the Spring?

Really appreciate everyone's help!:D

Cheers

Amanda

Maybe we might try a spring cruise instead, say in April. Can anyone tell me when the school vacation dates are for the Spring?

Really appreciate everyone's help!:D

Cheers

Amanda

I think the reason why everybody is "hesitant" to respond to this question is because there is no more "norm" for spring break. Traditional schedule schools in the US Spring break is the 7 days from Good Friday to Easter Sunday, which of course changes every year.

However, US schools now have year-round schools, which are in school for 6 weeks and then off for 6 weeks, so there schedule is always changing. Also, it depends on where you are in the country or even within the same county in the same state, everybody starts school, ends school, and is out of school all at different times. Some schools take two weeks off for spring break, but then are in school longer in the summer.

So, my best guess as to when to avoid spring breakers would be the two weeks before and the two weeks after Easter.

I would think that the price fluctuations of cruises might indicate the most popular vacation times. More expensive the cruise, the more probability that this would follow school breaks.

Archived