Aurora World Cruise

QE2 fan

I am considering booking the Southampton to Sydney leg of the world cruise. I would like to know if anyone here has done it, and if so, what were the sea conditions like? Especially from the UK down to Madeira, and then across the Atlantic. I am prone to seasickness in rough weather, and would be interested in your comments.

QE2 fan,

I have not done any of a world cruise but thought I'd reply regarding the sea conditions from UK to Madeira.

We did this jopurney last summer (although in the opposite direction) on Oceana and had no trouble with the weather. In fact it was very pleasant though the actual weather deteriorated (temps etc) as we approached Southampton. At least the direction you will be travelling in will allow for improving weather.

There has been much written on many cruise websites regarding the Bay of Biscay and whether you will have a good or poor crossing. Again it is a subjective matter, some people have a rough time others don't; and what one person considers acceptable another considers rough. I think the best plan of action is to go prepared. My niece, and others onboard, used the accupressure bands (available in many supermarkets and chemists) others used the variety of tablets available to cope with any feelings of mal de mer. We did though all survive!!;)

I hope you have a good time whatever you decide to do.

Feebee_71:)

We did Southampton to Auckland this year on Oriana and did have bad weather a lot of the way.

Up to Madeira was fairly bumpy and then after San Francisco to Hawaii and again just before we reached NZ.

But we had a fabulous time and would do it again in a shot.

One of our table companions suffered badly from seasickness but found she got her sea legs with the help of Stugeron and alcohol!

Some photos on http://www.thebloors.photosite.com

Archived