Camp Carnival Tips?

2munchkins

We are going to be cruising with the kids for the 1st time in October on the Valor. Since we have never used the kids program before I was wondering about tips. I looked at the breakdown for the $10 per person a day and it doesn't mention the camp carnival staff at all. So I was wondering what is an appropriate amount and what other people who have used camp carnival have given? (ages are 3 and 8).

Thanks!

My kids always use camp Carnival. On the last night I go down and give and envelope to who took care of my kids. Usually its the same few girls who handle that age group. You will get to know them. I give between $40 and $50 for 7 days.

DqAlex-Thanks for your response. Is that per kid? Mine will be in two different age groups. I guess it will depend to on how much I find they use it. I think my 8 year old will be fine...but I'm not sure how the 3 year old will do.

Thanks again for your response!

DqAlex-Thanks for your response. Is that per kid? Mine will be in two different age groups. I guess it will depend to on how much I find they use it. I think my 8 year old will be fine...but I'm not sure how the 3 year old will do.

Thanks again for your response!

My youngest was 5 years old on her first cruise. she is now 8. In the morning around 7Am she would wake me with the camp Carnival paper wanting to go back. In Aug it will be my kids 5th cruise and the first place my two youngest want to check out is the camp as soon as we get on the ship. Your 8 year old will have a great time. My oldest now goes to club 02. I tip the camp for the two youngest ones. They like to eat with the camp and go to the shows with the camp. They get great seats for the show if they go with the camp. Last year on the Celebration there was a woman working the camp who my kids had on the Triumph. She was great. The ladys at camp Carnival do a great job with the kids.

My understanding is that the staff at Camp Carnival receive a salary commenserate with the entertainers & other staff members (not the same as the service persons who depend on tips) and that tipping is not required.

I have never taken kids on a cruise, but to me this would mean that I would probable give $10 or $20 to the persons I saw each day that received my kids with a smile and took good care of them. If my kids were eager to go each day, then that would mean something "extra" to me.

The way I see it, giving someone $50 to look after my kids for a week is a steal! What makes a Carnival vacation so special is the fact that we can spend most of our time as a family, and still be able to spend some adult time together :) and know that our kids are in good hands with the CC counselors.

I personally did not see anyone else tipping the counselors, nor did I observe any signs that they were expecting tips, so I would not feel compelled to tip.

When our girls were younger we had great experiences with CC and tipped $20-$40. to their main counselor (that they saw the most) for our week. As the girls got older and moved to the preteen group, I found the CC was really not that great for their age group and they had a better time hanging out with us and with each other....the few things that they did go too...was not worth tipping for... IMO

A hundred bucks???

That's Ludicrous I say. And offensive.

Yeah well I wasn't the one tipping it. ;) :p

There was a whole thread on it at the Family Board and some mentioned tipping $100...and one mentioned TWO HUNDRED dollars for 2 kids. (again, not ME...lol)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=557903&highlight=tipping

Archived