Question about passports

HarleyChick

Okay, this may be a stupid one, but it's got me wondering.

Do y'all take your passports off the ship with you when in port? I know you don't need them for embarking/disembarking. I'm just thinking of the worst case scenario--what if you miss the boat, wouldn't you need your passport to get to the next port?

I've read on here a couple of posts about people missing the boat and having to fly to the next port. How would you do that without a passport?

[quote name='HarleyChick']Okay, this may be a stupid one, but it's got me wondering.

Do y'all take your passports off the ship with you when in port? I know you don't need them for embarking/disembarking. I'm just thinking of the worst case scenario--what if you miss the boat, wouldn't you need your passport to get to the next port?

I've read on here a couple of posts about people missing the boat and having to fly to the next port. How would you do that without a passport?[/QUOTE]
No, it's not stupid. [url="http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html"]http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html[/url]

I do, but think about it. What good would it do you to leave it on the ship should you be left behind, needed medical attention, or had a run in with the local authorities?

We always take ours and carry them with us whenever we get off the ship, because you just never know, just as the above posters have said.. Besides, passports are hardly ever challenge by anyone.. Drivers licenses, birth certificates and the like are sometimes just not acceptable by some governments and/or their officials... Bombero

I am from Canada and when I embarked on the ship (NCL Dawn) they took our passports and gave them back to us when we left the ship at the end of the cruise. Then, I couldn’t have brought it with me on shore for excursions. I had two photocopies, one in the safe and the other with me on shore. I thought that a copy of it could have helped if added to driver license in case I needed to prove who I was. They probably just would have to check with Canada embassy in the worst case scenario.

Has anyone used an expired Passport for boarding the ship, etc?

Carnival's site says you can use as cruise document a passport that has expired less than 10 years ago. Mine expired in mid July and now I'm wondering if I need to bring my BC...birth certificate, not birth control...instead.

[quote name='Stircrzy']Has anyone used an expired Passport for boarding the ship, etc?

Carnival's site says you can use as cruise document a passport that has expired less than 10 years ago. Mine expired in mid July and now I'm wondering if I need to bring my BC...birth certificate, not birth control...instead.[/QUOTE]
1) Some on here say they have but it's not a good idea. P.Ps are not only good for getting you in to a foreign country, but they are ALSO a valuable tool for getting you back IN the U.S.

2) I'm quite sure that if you visit the P.P. customer service page, you will NOT see Carnival listed as one of their "divisions".

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=purple]I also take two copies of my Passport with me; one stays in the safe with the original and one stays with me. When my passport expires next year I will be getting a new one. Although Carnival may accept it even if it is expired I don't know of any country that will. [/color][/size][/font]

Thanks for the replies. Which lead me to another question.

Do you ever worry about losing your passport while on an excursion? If you're at a beach and go into the water, where do you leave your belongings? What if you get mugged or lose your purse/backpack?

I'm usuallly not this much of a worrywart, :o but my travelling experience so far has been to resorts and we leave all of our important paperwork locked in the room safe.

[quote name='HarleyChick']Thanks for the replies. Which lead me to another question.

Do you ever worry about losing your passport while on an excursion? If you're at a beach and go into the water, where do you leave your belongings? What if you get mugged or lose your purse/backpack?

I'm usuallly not this much of a worrywart, :o but my travelling experience so far has been to resorts and we leave all of our important paperwork locked in the room safe.[/QUOTE]
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkorchid]Actually this is a really good question, I was wonding the same thing. :)[/color][/font]

[quote name='HarleyChick']Okay, this may be a stupid one, but it's got me wondering.

I've read on here a couple of posts about people missing the boat and having to fly to the next port. How would you do that without a passport?[/QUOTE]

What we did was photo copied our passport and had that with our Sign & Sail card... We locked the Passports in the room.....Have fun!!

I for one would NEVER take a valuable document as a passport off the ship...however I would suggest that you make a color photo copy of the first two pages and bring that along with you when leaving the ship in any port of call as it will be accepted but checked for verification should the need arise. This info came direct from the Passport Issuing Office I deal with for clients.

Archived