Lawrence of Antigua - all the info you can provide

kylescoolmom

We have a reservation booked for Sept 19th....... Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. (pictures are a plus) :p

Thank you

We greatly enjoyed our tour with Lawrence. He is professional and truly wants you to get as much from your tour as you can. We went with him a couple of years ago when he had the van (I believe he has a small bus now). The van was very clean and the air conditioning worked very well. He was always willing to stop for photo ops and never rushed us. We saw Nelson's Dockyard, Dow's Hill Interpretation Centre, Shirley Heights and the Blockhouse (all part of the National Historic Park - you pay ONE $5 admission and it allows you to enter all the sites - Lawrence kept our tickets so that we did not lose them. At the sites where there was a presentation or organized tour, he made sure we got on the tour or attended the presenation

(Nelson's Dockyard and Dow's Hill Interpretation Centre). Where there was no tour, he gave us one himself. After we saw the various historical sites, he took us to the Natural Bridge and finally he dropped us at a nice beach (Long Bay beach). As agreed, he picked us up a couple of hours later and returned us to the ship.

How much is Lawrence's tour per person? Is it a relaxing tour or are your exhausted by the end of it? We will be on Serenade and we have island tours and excursions already schedule on day 1 (Godfrey at St. Thomas), day 2 (Bernard at St. Maarten), day 4 (Cosol at St. Lucia), and day 5 (Thriller powerboat snorkel tour at Barbados). All of these tours are highly recommended and consume most of our days at each port and are going to leave us needing a vacation. So, I chose to leave day 3 (Antigua) as a "down" day where we would just grab a cab and head to Dickenson Beach for a few hours of fun and sun and then shop near the port and relax on the ship. But now I am thinking I'd hate to miss seeing the island. Anyone have thoughts on this?

What if you don't want to go to the beach, will he take you back to ship or drop you off for shopping? How much is his tour?

You don't have to go to the beach. He will drop you off downtown or near the pier. When we took his tour the price varied depending on how many people in your group (i.e. larger group - cheaper per person price).

How much is Lawrence's tour per person? Is it a relaxing tour or are your exhausted by the end of it? We will be on Serenade and we have island tours and excursions already schedule on day 1 (Godfrey at St. Thomas), day 2 (Bernard at St. Maarten), day 4 (Cosol at St. Lucia), and day 5 (Thriller powerboat snorkel tour at Barbados). All of these tours are highly recommended and consume most of our days at each port and are going to leave us needing a vacation. So, I chose to leave day 3 (Antigua) as a "down" day where we would just grab a cab and head to Dickenson Beach for a few hours of fun and sun and then shop near the port and relax on the ship. But now I am thinking I'd hate to miss seeing the island. Anyone have thoughts on this?

We did not find it too tiring and this was a concern because our friend who travels with us has a serious chronic illness that makes her tire easily. It takes about 3 hours to see the sites of the National Historic Park (at a fairly leisurely pace). Then you could be dropped at a beach. Personally I am not fond of Dickenson Bay (just not as nice as Long Bay Beach - strictly my opinion).

I was quoted $35.00 per person plus $5.00 for historial park. I am going to Darkwood - It would have been the same price in a cab. This way I also get a tour.

Zeno - thanks for taking time to answer my questions...

Linda

Does Lawrence also bring you back to the ship from the beach? or are you on your own at that point? Do you pick which beach you want? or does he suggest a beach? I just shot an e-mail out to Lawrence to book the tour but I forgot to ask him these questions! :o

Thanks!

Here is 1 of 3 replies from Lawerence.

Hi Linda,

No problem taking you on a guided tour of the island, then to the beach requested after. Tour last just about three hours. We will be visiting historical sites like English Harbour, Nelson's Dock yard, Shirley Heights, in-fact the entire national park. There will be a $5.00 US each entrance fee to enter the national park, that will take care of all the sites we will be visiting inside the national park. We will be driving through the Rain Forest after, then you will see the beautiful coastline on the south western side of the island. Then I will take you to Darkwood beach where you can relax as long as you wish.

I will take you back to the cruise ship at the end of the day, there is when you pay cash.

Hope this helps..

Here is 1 of 3 replies from Lawerence.

Hi Linda,

No problem taking you on a guided tour of the island, then to the beach requested after. Tour last just about three hours. We will be visiting historical sites like English Harbour, Nelson's Dock yard, Shirley Heights, in-fact the entire national park. There will be a $5.00 US each entrance fee to enter the national park, that will take care of all the sites we will be visiting inside the national park. We will be driving through the Rain Forest after, then you will see the beautiful coastline on the south western side of the island. Then I.

Hope this helps..

I just got the identical e-mail from Lawrence except he didn't say which beach he would take us to. Just that "I will take you to a beach where you can relax as long as you wish. I will take you back to the cruise ship at the end of the day, there is when you pay cash". ;) So I replied and asked him which beach?

As I was typing my last post Lawrence replied back again to me and said he would take us to whatever beach we wanted but he suggested Turner Beach as they have facilities and he thinks it is a pretty beach. He sent a link to some photos of Turners Beach so I will go check them out now. I am impressed with Lawrence so far! :D

We prearranged an island tour with Lawrence of Antigua ($35/pp + $5/pp entrance fee to the national park). Since our tour was not expected to start until 10:30am, we walked around the pierside shops. The taxi drivers and vendors are very aggressive. You’ll be offered a taxi ride at least a dozen times. Souvenirs and food are very expensive here. No bargains to be found. Most local shops carry the same trinkets and shirts. The shops carrying original merchandise are even more expensive.

We met Lawrence and the rest of our small (10 people) tour group at the pier and headed for Lawrence’s beautiful air conditioned bus with comfortable seats and large windows. Lawrence gave us a wonderful guided tour of the island including English Harbor, the Nelson dockyard, Shirley Heights, and a rain forest. Free range goats and sheep roam the countryside, streets, yards, and high school athletic fields. We also saw donkeys, cattle, and mongoose. We had an option ($10/pp) to stay at Turner’s Beach, a pretty shell-sand beach on the Caribbean side of the island with a bar and grill, and changing facilities. Due to the heat, we opted to return to the ship. After dropping off 6 of us back at the ship, Lawrence returned to the beach to pickup the 4 that stayed. We recommend Lawrence’s tour.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

We also have a reservation with Lawrence for September 19th! Are you on the Carnival Liberty? If you want pictures, go to http://lawrenceofantigua.com/

Oh yeah we are. Cannot wait. Please come join us on role call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=421648&page=15

If the link does not work just come over and look for our sail date.

Hurry come chat hehehehehee

Archived