Negative things I've heard about Carnival

ottergirl

:o I am sorry to upset anyone who might be a loyal Carnival fan. I have been told by some people I know to avoid Carnival for "something better," like RC. I have been looking at cruises and have basically avoided looking at anything Carnival, and I am now rethinking my choice after reading through the boards. Seems like many of you LOVE Carnival. They are very reasonable, that's for sure- and I just wanted to ask your opinions.

My aunts said avoid Carnival because of the (and I cringe even mentioning this) food bourne illness issues from the past. I've heard that the food is horrible compared to the other lines, and here I read it is wonderful. I've heard that the ships are "cheap" and "garrish" and there is a reason why they cost less- you get what you pay for...?

This will be like a honeymoon for me and my wonderful husband, and I want him to have a blast (so he will want to cruise over and over again!!!) LOL- no, also just because I want us to have a grand time together. We are in our early 30s, no kids yet.

Inform me please!

You can inform you aurnt that food bourne illnesses happen on other cruiselines too.

But the illness that happens on ships is called Noro virus and it is NOT a food bourne illness.

Noro virus happens on land based vacations aslo- we jsut dont always hear about it. On any ship you cruise its VERY important that you wash your hands...not just once.

--

We just took our first princess cruise-- even after I "HEARD" its full of old people. Many senior citizens. Stuff closes early and we will be bored with nothing to do after 11pm.. and had the times of our lives.

IO have sailed ROyal and Carnival and both lines are comparable-- but carnival is a lot cheaper on most sailings. I like to take vacations so I will go with what is cheap.

a cruise--whatever line you decide to take will be what you make it to be-- want a blast then it will be.

want to sail with tons of kids then you book for a high peak family sailing time./ want less kids then avoid spring break and summer cruises.

Expect good food-- but dont expect 5 star cusine on any ship since they are preparing for a thousand people.

:o I am sorry to upset anyone who might be a loyal Carnival fan. I have been told by some people I know to avoid Carnival for "something better," like RC. I have been looking at cruises and have basically avoided looking at anything Carnival, and I am now rethinking my choice after reading through the boards. Seems like many of you LOVE Carnival. They are very reasonable, that's for sure- and I just wanted to ask your opinions.

My aunts said avoid Carnival because of the (and I cringe even mentioning this) food bourne illness issues from the past. I've heard that the food is horrible compared to the other lines, and here I read it is wonderful. I've heard that the ships are "cheap" and "garrish" and there is a reason why they cost less- you get what you pay for...?

This will be like a honeymoon for me and my wonderful husband, and I want him to have a blast (so he will want to cruise over and over again!!!) LOL- no, also just because I want us to have a grand time together. We are in our early 30s, no kids yet.

Inform me please!

Many people that bash Carnival havent tried the product in recent years.

I would suggest a Spirit Class ship..Miracle, Legend, Spirit or Pride. Where do you want to cruise? How many days? Do you have a preference to which port you wish to sail from?

Have never had a bad cruise yet on any cruise line.

I would not book one of the older smaller ships - but again that is just my preference.

You are going to find pros and cons - no matter what - it is everyone's own opinion.

Just do some research and find something you think you will like.

Good Luck!

Yes, in general, the decor is horrible, kind of like 1970's Las Vegas.

BUT... Carnival also porvides a great cruise experience at a reasonable price. My guess is that you will be pleased!

Oh come on now.......the newer ships are not horribly decorated and are very nice.......now maybe the older ships are as you call them 1970's Las Vegas...but there not that bad either......IMHO

It is all about taste - your taste, not anyone else. We also have never had a bad cruise on several cruise lines. I can't say that we've had any real problems with food on any ship either (my scales tell me that when I get home).

I don't know how far you live from a port, but if you are uneasy about Carnival why not try a 3 or 4 night "demo" cruise before you go on your honeymoon? The shorter cruises are on smaller, older ships. My first cruise 8 years ago was a 4 day on the Fantasy. My DH and I had been considering cruising for a while and just decided to give it a try. We are both hooked! I have sailed Disney and Princess, but I keep coming back to Carnival for their friendly service and value for the dollar.

Our first cruise was a 7 night western carribean on the Triumph in March, had no idea what to expect (I discovered CC just recently). My husband, who is somewhat a self-described "anti-social", had a blast (even when we dined with complete strangers) and made me promise that our next vacation be a cruise. I traveled with 2 - 15 yr old boys and 2 - 5 yr old girls and everyone had fun, and the girls barely used Camp Carnival.

FYI, next cruise 13 night South America

Tish in EC

It is all about taste - your taste, not anyone else. We also have never had a bad cruise on several cruise lines. I can't say that we've had any real problems with food on any ship either (my scales tell me that when I get home).

Holy Sh**, your signature has 45 cruise in 10 years..........

Ronath~ OMG you sure have gotten around, haven't you??? LOL- Soooo many cruises :)

Cotton~ Thank you for the comment- it is what sparked the question. You absolutely sound like you love Carnival, and as dumb as it sounds, I keep reading these comments all over the place that "the steak was horrible, dry, tough..." so this is good to know.

MaryM~ This is not actually our honeymoon. We've never vacationed anywhere but fishing trips with family in the SAME cabin (right after our wedding too!) and I am looking forward to an exciting time with my husband and the new people we meet.

And by any means I am not knocking the cruiseline. I am so easy to please, really... I mean, I'm a gal who fishes and uses bug spray and is excited to stay at Embassy Suites! LOL

I am flying in from the Midwest and looking to go to the Caribbean for 7-9 nights. :)

Thanks for all your opinions. I know what to look for while I continue my research!

Oh, and BTW- after working for a dentist for a long time, I wash my hands like I have OCD. I think it is a greta idea that the hand sanitizer is everywhere, and I will bring my own too.

There are lots of reasons why Carnival is the World's Most Popular Cruise Line.......most folks who trash the Line have never sailed on it and are relying on gossip...pure and simple.

And this is why I am asking, so I don't rely on gossip myself :) I love your saying at the bottom about cruises and women!

I have sailed Carnival over and over again and will sail it again!! Planning an Alaska cruise as we speak. All cruise lines have a little something different to offer but the bottom line is, you are going to have fun, no matter what cruise line you are on if you want to have fun. :)

I think it's that new Matt Damon movie :p

Too funny!:D

Holy Sh**, your signature has 45 cruise in 10 years..........

Check your math... their first was in 1987!;)

Otter girl, you should have a great time on Carnival. As many have said before, it's what you make it!

Too funny!:D

Check your math... their first was in 1987!;)

Otter girl, you should have a great time on Carnival. As many have said before, it's what you make it!

You are correct on that one-20 years, I think I was still in a daze from the picture beside your signature.......

On my last cruise on the triumph, our cabin neighbors,newlyweds, were enjoying themselves too much the first night ;) . Finally, around 3:00AM security came, knocked on their door and asked them to stop (shame on Carnival).

If you want your husband to cruise and cruise over and over again make sure he put a silencer on his engine.

Your aunt is right....you do "get what you pay for", and I got a lot!!;) :D Absolutely loved the Miracle....don't have one complaint about that ship. I liked the Legend also but that cruise was so short.

Don't listen to people who have never been on Carnival. How could they possibly know, if they have sever set foot on their ships? I will definitely sail Carnival again.

Try them, you will like them. :)

If you're unsure about the decor on Carnival ships, you can go to the Carnival website and have them send you a DVD which tells you about the cruises, and staterooms and ports of call, and shows you a little of each ship. And you can hang here, where, sometimes, lovely people post links to their cruise photos and you can see how beautiful the ships are.

Sure we're all on this board and have been on numerous Carnival Cruises because we hate them :rolleyes:

I've sailed Carnival 8 times and once on Royal Caribean--wasn't enough difference to warrant the extra $$ that Royal charged. I could have had a balcony on Carnival for what I paid for an ocean view on Royal. (not knocking RCI--we had a wonderful cruise I just prefer Carnival)

I just think Carnival gives you more bang for your buck.:D

And I like all the glam and sparkle of the ships--I'm on vacation and I'm ready to live it up! Do I decorate my house that way? Of course not!!

Happy Sails!

I would recommend a Spirit class ship when school is in session and for a least 7 days.

I would also recommend that you eat your meals in the formal dining rooms ( avoiding the buffet as much as possible).

If you follow those guidelines, I feel like your cruise on Carnival will be just as good as anyone else's on a mass market line, usually for less cost.

Archived