Ok more "newbie" questions: Art Auctions, Tea, and Days at Sea

Ugly Betty Fan

quote=Ugly Betty Fan;10808699]As I continue to read Princess Patters, I see many activities for the days at sea like Art Auctions, Afternoon Tea and such.

Question 1) Are these things free? And are reservations necessary?

Question 2) I see advertisements for "An Inch of Gold", can someone explain how this works and what type of gold you're getting for $1 per inch - I mean, it's not the stuff that turns green, is it? :rolleyes:

Question 3) Afternoon tea, is it formal? May we go in shorts?

Question 4) The Champagne Waterfall - ok I know I'm going to sound stupid but, is champagne served as this is taking place? If so, Is it complimentary?

Ok that's all for now.

Thanks for everyone for answering my questions and having such patience with me! :)

Good for you asking these quesions. My hubby (then bf) had one cruise before we met so he was my guide. Of course, that was long before this or any other cruising site existed.

Ok, I avoid art auctions like I avoid bingo. But then we already have art on our walls, in between our daughter's artwork from school.:o You will hear many announcements over the PA about how the final, final, yet final auction will start presently.

On our last cruise, I was travelling the trivia game circuit with new friends and someone suggested we head to the dining room where afternoon tea is. Dressing up is not necessary, but as someone suggested you probably do need to have on regular clothes and not a bathing suit/coverup. You'll be seated on a table and a waiter will offer you tea and little cookies, etc.

We've been to two waterfalls. Our waiter on the Sapphire spotted us while the waitstaff was dancing in the atrium and waved us over to join in. On the Island, we went to the atrium, bottom level around 11ish pm. My daughter (then 8) got in line to help pour the champagne. The restaurant manager was in charge and directed the setting up of the goblets. I think there were even streamers handed out so people can throw them over a protective netting. Then a little ladder was brought over and each person in line helped in pouring the bubbly.

Waiters went around with trays passing out free glasses of champagne (I did see a waiter take away champagne from some underaged teens who were standing with their father).

Here's a photo of the girl helping out.

915681510_waterfallchampag1.jpg.1f478ae76c91f73794696c8e3b16efba.jpg

Also, when traveling always wear your jewelry on your person,(diamonds go with everything),a necklace that you might think is to much to go with your travel outfit can be well hidden under your clothing & earrings fit nicely into pockets.

The conventional wisdom that I've heard is that if you don't trust the safe, leave expensive stuff at home. I avoid almost all jewelry (particularly expensive-looking stuff, not that I have much) in port. Not good to make yourself a target.

I agreed with the rest of what you said, though! Just my Nervous Nellie coming out...:o

Thanks for all the replies! I'm really starting to feel more relaxed about if we did the right thing about booking a cruise. :D

Between you guys and the guidebooks I've bought, I feel like I'm going to be an old pro before stepping foot on the ship!

Thanks again!

Regarding Art Auctions, I have to agree with a previous post that the savings are very real. I bought a Berhens, Sienna Flower Market, which I saw selling on land for $3000.00 dollars more than what I paid and it did not include the very handsome and expensive frame that I recieved. We don't buy everytime, but we go to every art auction just to see what we might like. It is a fun time, especially if the art dealer is a good entertainer, too!

The conventional wisdom that I've heard is that if you don't trust the safe, leave expensive stuff at home. I avoid almost all jewelry (particularly expensive-looking stuff, not that I have much) in port. Not good to make yourself a target.

I agreed with the rest of what you said, though! Just my Nervous Nellie coming out...:o

You bring up a really important point & I hope new cruisers see it. I was in Chili years ago and we had a private driver who told me to take off my jewelry that it is not safe to walk around with it on. Now I never wear it when in port.

I also bring an inexpensive watch to wear to the beach, this way I don't ruin a good one & I also make it back to the ship on time !

Archived