Liberty Western Caribbean July review

Miss Toe

First cruise for my husband, 16 yo son, and me. We flew into Ft Lauderdale on Sat. I got a room at Riverside Hotel on Las Olas through Hotwire for $99. We were were able to get a room in the tower for a $20 upgrade. The hotel was great!

On Sunday, we left the hotel at 11 and we were eating lunch on the Lido at noon. As has been mentioned before, the decor is all over the place. I spent alot of time wondering what the decorators were thinking or smoking. :) By the end of the week it almost seemed normal.

Food - We had early dinner reservations in the Silver room. We only made it once and the food was great! Unfortunately, this room is at the back of the ship and it made my husband seasick so we only dined there once. Had great tablemates, but only saw them once. Waiters in dining room did not impress. Fish and Chips (only open at lunch time I think) was great! It is above the Emile's buffet. Sushi was good, but very very limited menu. Room service was hit or miss. Took up to 1 hour and 15 minutes to deliver 2 sandwiches and coffee. Once they never showed at all. Every time the order was not complete. The sandwiches were very tasty. Son loved the pizza. Buffet was typical.

Room steward - Terrific!! He was the best! Always had a smile, ice, towels, whatever we needed. Bathroom was cleaned up twice a day. I got spoiled!

Balcony Cabin - Had balcony guarantee and got 8401. We were under the lido deck but never ever heard any noise inside the room. There is an overhang above the balcony which was great for keeping the sun off the balcony. Would recommend this room. (Take large binder clips to clip wet suits on chairs)

Laundry - Laundry facilities not too far down the hall. Small room with ironing board and iron, one chair, 3 washers 3 dryers. Very busy in late afternoon/early evening. By 7 or so, it was dead and you could do all the laundry you wanted! Haha

Entertainment - Saw a couple of decent shows. I wasn't expecting perfection, and I enjoyed what we saw. The CD needs to learn some new words. Everything was fanTAStic. It was going to be a fanTAStic day in port. The show tonight will be fanTAStic! Etc. Enjoyed the watching the piano player Damien (?? not sure), but he is just too loud. The outdoor screen....awesome! Very nice to sit and watch a concert or movie out by the pool. Never used the water slide...they don't open it often.

Shopping - Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't in the market for Tanzanite or Gold by the Inch! :D Great deals on liquor and cigs and some perfume.

Man Over Board - We had one of these too! Not fun. Thankful he was rescued!

Loved the cruise. The crew was always always cleaning something. Glad we went and look forward to going again. Will try to post more with pics from the stops we made. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed by choosing the Liberty.

I have a 16 year old son going on the Liberty 08/04/07. What things did your son enjoy doing? Did he do things with other teens on board? Were you on a 6 or 8 day cruise? We are going on the 8 day cruise (Western - Mexico, Costa Rica & Panama) and just wondering what ports you went to to get more info on them. Did you bring drinks on board for your son or did you just purchase them on the ship?

Thanks for the tip on the binder clips - we have a balcony cabin also on the Empress deck>

Any info is appreciated!!

Thanks

P.S. Hopefully we don't have the Man Over Board on our ship

My son found some friends the first night. They didn't really think the 15-17 club was very fun at all. They tried really hard to get into the over 18 club but kept being carded. :cool: We brought coke on board, but it was more for me than him. He drinks mainly water. The soda cards were approximately $5.00 per day, and would have been a waste for us. According to my pvp we were allowed 6-8 cans of coke per person to bring on board. We were on the 6 day cruise, with 2 formal nights.

I would recommend you look on the Ports of Call boards for your port stops. There should be a lot of good information there. We did not do any of the Carnival excursions. Found better and cheaper ones online. We had a great time and hope you do too!

My favorite port was Costa Maya. It was by far the best day we had. If you are going to that port, be sure to take the ride into town. It's totally different than the area right at the port.

Archived