Motorola Talkabout FV700R?

denisegold

Has anyone used these type (doesn't have to be exact brand/model) on a cruise ship? (going on Majesty/NCL, to be exact).

Was wondering about reception on the boat. I have 10, 12 and 17 year olds, and even with the kids programs, I'd use these 2 way radios, if I know in advance they work well on a ship. (The 17 year old will probably be sunning at the pool on her own, so I'd want her to have one, too).

I wouldn't need to use them on the island (Bermuda) because we wouldn't be separated then, although if I had to part from my husband for any reason, we could use them on the island. (I've already heard, don't bother using your cell phones because of roaming charges, etc)

TIA for any advice, tips! You folks are a great bunch!!

We used Motorola Talkabouts (not sure of the number but got them at Walmart) on our April cruise and friends used Midland. They both worked great. We were able to talk from Lido Deck to Riveria Deck. We found a channel that no one was on and had no trouble keeping in touch with our DS's (11 & 9) and our friends. Was bummed when I realized I forgot them on my last cruise.

Smiles!

While the FRS radios are probably ok to use on ship, they are probably not legal in countries other than the USA.

Each nation allocates segments of the radio-frequency (RF) spectrum to various uses. For instance, certain frequencies are allocated to commercial or government-owned broadcast stations (like AM or FM here); public service, military, governement use, aviation, law enforcement, ham radio, commercial/business use, etc. Not every nation's allocations match others' allocations. Therefore, it is quite possible that the frequencies allocated by the USA's FCC for FRS walkie-talkies will not be allocated for such use in another country.

In this day and age with concerns about terrorism, using such walkie-talkies in a non-US port even while on ship or in a foreign country could result in confiscation of the radios and in a worst-case scenario, possible arrest.

I am not at all condemning the use of these radios on a cruise. I own a pair of those radios and am a long-term amateur radio operator. I just would hate for a CCer or family member be put in a bad spot for using them in the wrong place, even if the risk might be perceived as low. Using them in USA waters or in USA ports or on the open sea is fine as long as you don't interfere with any of the ship's communications.

Also, if you use them on board, please be considerate of your fellow passengers and not yell into the radios--believe me that does not help anyone--it actually causes distortion on the other end and irritates others within earshot on both ends. Please, just use them responsibly.

Bill S is absolutely correct, they are not legal for use in foreign countries, they're not even legal for use in the US. If you use the GMRS frequencies, you have to have a license. Most people don't bother, and don't think or care about interference, but in Europe and other countries, the frequencies that GMRS/FRS radios broadcast on are used by emergency services. You will probably not have any problem, and there will be folk who come on here and say to ignore the license or reciprocal use requirements, but if you do, just understand the consequences, which range from confiscation of your equipment to large fines, to who knows what if you interfere with emergency response that causes a death or other problem.

Bill S is absolutely correct, they are not legal for use in foreign countries, they're not even legal for use in the US.
If the OP uses the FV700R solely using the FRS channels, then he/she can legally operate the radio in the US without an FCC operators license, right?

If the OP uses the FV700R solely using the FRS channels, then he/she can legally operate the radio in the US without an FCC operators license, right?

Yes, FRS channels require no license, but if the radio has greater than 1/2 watt output power or a detachable antenna, then it doesn't meet the requirements for FRS.

I'm sure the poster of this thread will be very polite in using radios. One of my least favorite cruise experiences was having to listen to a large family who kept in touch continually with radios.

Heard in the buffet line: 'yes, they have pasta. I can't tell what's in it. No, I don't think it's shrimp. Rice and cheese, yes, I see that. I'll get extra desserts so we get what we want. They have........ etc.'

Remember that anyone with a radio that works on the same frequency can hear what you are saying. It is best if you don't say something like 'I'm leaving the children in Room xxx'.

Archived