Boat snorkeling tours in Hawaii

IAMAMT

I am a little confused. On the Hawaii board there has been some comments that the Molokini trip is not the best option for snorkeling in Maui. We are going in Oct. and after some research had decided to do the shore snorkeling along the Kona Shore and take the boat ride to Molokini. Now after reading a lot of comments I am thinking of doing the Captain Zodiac to Kealakekua Bay and doing my shore diving in Maui.

What are some of your recommendations for snorkeling in Hawaii.

Your plan is a good one. Go to Kealakakua in Kona, and do shore snorkeling in Maui. Molokini now is totally over-rated, living off it's glory of 40 years ago. Don't waste your time on Molokini.

We had heard that the water was really deep, so we didn't go to Molokini while on Maui. Instead, we just snorkeled off our hotel (Sheraton) and at a few roadside beaches near there and Lahaina.

Regarding the Big Island, I agree regarding Kealakekua Bay, though we went with a different company, Fair Isle or something like that. I remember picking them over Seaquest, but I don't remember why. Anyway, it was great snorkeling, easy water entry and exist, nice refreshments, and fun video of the trip. I would go again in a heartbeat.

I also urge you to contact Big Island Divers (Kailua Kona) for info on their night dive/snorkel to see manta rays. It is simply the most awesome experience I've ever had, and the snorkelers, not the divers, get the best of the show. If you use disposable waterproof cameras, get one with a built-in flash, and make sure you know how to use it. The film advance on mine was the opposite direction from the ones I was used to, and I got flustered. If you have one, and keep your wits about you, you'll have a close-up of manta ray gill rakers for your holiday card. Seriously, this is an experience like no other.

Have fun.

Mary Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Were you on the POH when you took this tour?

We're tendering in Kona and would love to go on the Fair Wind tour to Kealakeakua Bay for the 8:30am cruise...we tender at 8:00am and it's a 15 minute cab drive to where they are. We're afraid we won't get there in time. What info can you give us?

Archived