Dining room attire for kids 2 and 5

rice5899

Even though we were on NCL and enjoying Freestyle, I still put my 2 (2 and 7 at the time) in appropriate wear: Khaki pants and golf shirt for my DS (7) and a sun dress for my DD (2), who loved to wear dresses anyway.

That's just me. I think what you described would be fine for your little ones.

Even though we were on NCL and enjoying Freestyle, I still put my 2 (2 and 7 at the time) in appropriate wear: Khaki pants and golf shirt for my DS (7) and a sun dress for my DD (2), who loved to wear dresses anyway.

That's just me. I think what you described would be fine for your little ones.

Were they just plain golf shirts? We have a couple of polos for our two-year old this summer, but they have bold stripes and the occasional palm tree logo embroidery - like this: http://gymbohaven.com/surfcamp2007/415938626_599ecbd17a_m.jpg.

I am going to tell you the rules, then I will tell you the reality...lol. On Carnival, the rules are stated that parents should ensure that the children are following the same dress requirements as the adults. Which means no shorts at all.

On NCL, the rule is different, the rules only apply to children over 12.

So if you follow the rules on Carnival, then yes long pants for the kids. In reality, Carnival seems to be more relaxed than RCCL. So no one would say anything if your kids were wearing shorts.

But with that being said, know that it is FREEZING in the dining rooms. I think they keep the AC spiked to keep the men dressed in suits comfortable. So my kids always complain they are cold and cuddle up to me. So even though my daughters always wear dresses, I always have to bring sweaters for them into the dining room.

So maybe get a few pairs of khaki PANTS....the kids may be more comfortable and not freezing their little pattooties off. ;) :D

Were they just plain golf shirts? We have a couple of polos for our two-year old this summer, but they have bold stripes and the occasional palm tree logo embroidery - like this: http://gymbohaven.com/surfcamp2007/415938626_599ecbd17a_m.jpg.

Yes, they were plain golf shirts. But, the one you pictured would be just fine.

• 1 month later...
I know we are not to wear jeans, shorts, tshirts etc. But what about little ones. Could they wear nice shorts (khaki color) and a button down shirt or is that out as well?

I'm traveling on Carnival this weekend. I don't recall there being a rule about jeans in the dining room (on non formal night of course). I packed jeans (very nice ones...no holes, fading, etc.) with polo and long sleeved button down shirts for my boys (ages 5 and 8). Is this not acceptable for the dining room? or do I need to run out and buy a couple of pair of pants?:eek:

I'm traveling on Carnival this weekend. I don't recall there being a rule about jeans in the dining room (on non formal night of course). I packed jeans (very nice ones...no holes, fading, etc.) with polo and long sleeved button down shirts for my boys (ages 5 and 8). Is this not acceptable for the dining room? or do I need to run out and buy a couple of pair of pants?:eek:

Believe me, just getting off of Carnival, anything goes. :rolleyes:

I saw shorts with t-shirts and swimsuits in that dining room.

This was a delimma for me too. Our kids don't generally wear nice formal outfits (other than at holidays) and I didn't want to buy something just for this cruise and have them grow out of it before our next one!

So, fortunately, we have some khaki pants and buttoned shirts we'll bring along and rotate them through out the week. Hopefully no one will notice us recycling outfits. :D

Now the shoes question was harder for me to compromise on but I settled on some darker, non-tennis shoes which in the dim of the room, hopefully no one will care.

• 3 weeks later...

packing for a family is hard enough- then to worry about "dress clothes", aauugghh! We have cruised 3 times with our kids (always on Carnival). My boys have 2 pairs of pants- one kacki and one navy blue and 2-3 polo shirts each that match with both pants. We mix and match all week, and I do laundry once during the week. I have never had any complaints about their attire :)...... another good hint if you do chose to look for dressier clothes.. EBAY!!! I bought my 4 year old son's tux for my sister's wedding for $5 this summer- less than the rental one would have been :)

Archived