RCL & Formal Nights with kids?

vachocoholic

Hello. First time cruiser going out of NJ on the Explorer August 17, 2007! I am wondering about the 2 formal nights we will have... can kids stay and have dinner with the counselors while parents go and enjoy themselves? I'm thinking that there is such an option but I'm sure someone else out there knows better than I! Do kids have the option of

dinner with their counselors? If the kids come along on formal nights what is the appropriate attire for a 12 year old girl, 5 and 3 year old boys? Thanks for the help!

We were only on a short RCI cruise with one formal night, but the kids club had a meal available for our DDs to take part in. We did need to sign them up earlier in the day, so you would want to look into that. My DDs loved it and we were happy to have a special night to ourselves.

Hope that helps. Have a great cruise!

We were on a 10 night on the Jewel, and our kids (5 and 7) went to dinner each night with us. I think I remember that AO had an option to have the kids eat with the couselors though. The kids loved getting dressed up for dinner, and showing off their best manners. It was easier because we were at a 6 top with my in-laws, so there were no unfamiliar faces for the kids. They did great, and felt like grown-ups in their best clothes. I definately recommend early seating though, unless your family is used to eating late. As for what to wear, the same as the parents works well. We follow the ships quidelines, and get quite formal on formal nights. My daughter gets a new gown at deep discount after the wedding season is over in our area (November), and my son wears a jacket with khakis and a tie.

On the non-fromal nights, Patrick loses the jacket, and wears either a shirt and tie or a nice polo with his khakis. Clare wears sundresses, or a cute skirt and top. I have never been in a ships dining room that was not well air conditioned, so Clare wears a sweater with her dress.

Have fun on your trip!

Kim

Is there a Johnny rockets onboard Explorer (I am trying to remember if there is). During formal nights on Freedom, Adenture Ocean had a sign up sheet for you to sign the kids up to eat their dinner at Johnny Rockets on formal night.

So we would take the kids to the formal pictures, then usher the oldest up to Johnny Rockets (her choice not mine...lol) and kept the youngest one with us.

Archived