Will we go through immigraton twice?

We're flying from San Francisco, through Montreal, to Rome. Will we have to do immigration in Canada as well? Didn't think about this as we were shopping for the best fare.:confused:

I'm not sure if I'm understand your question. Hope this help. We fly oversea a lot. Immagration will be done at your destination not while you are on transit. You will be in different terminal while in transit or changing the plan. If you are in same terminal where you fly in and make a connection in the same terminal but at a different gate;you also will not have to through the security again as long as you have not get out to Candana's soil. When you get to Rome will have to fill out the immigration form as will as when you get to US.

Immagration will be done at your destination not while you are on transit.

While this may be true in this case, this isn't the case for those who change planes in the US. For example, flying from Venice to Orlando, we transfer at JFK. We will therefore go thru immigration at JFK (in transit to our final destination of Orlando). A lot of people think they won't need to go thru immigration until they get to their final destination, and book transfers that are too close together, not realizing they will need to go thru immigration at the first US airport they land at.

You may go through immigration more than twice anyway. We are visiting Italy, Monaco, Greece, and Turkey on our cruise. We may not physically have to pass through immigration for each, but I'm betting there is immigration involved for each country.

I haven't been to Montreal, so can't speak to that, but when we cruised from LA to Vancouver, we stopped at Victoria Canada and had to go through and show our passports.

When we were routed through London, we went through Security/Immigration before we went to the next gate to wait for our connecting flight on to Athens. In Frankfurt also, but not in Zurich. So it just depends on where you are flying, if they have the space to allocate to travelers enroute. Now we never had to reclaim our baggage though.

Then on your way back into the States you will go through immigration at the first city you enter the Country.

Also keep in mind about liquid rules if you thinking about buying duty free liquor. In some case, it's depending on your destination you might have to wait until the last leg to buy. Pay a close attention to this rule when you fly back to US. You need to check if the Canada have separate terminal (domestic and international). If you fly in to domestic terminal and have to go internation terminal, you might have to collect your luggages and check in again in the international terminal. Like the LAX. We fly from Vancouver to Seattle and to Atlanta. We can see international terminal next to domestic look like it's connected in one long building, but I;m not sure. We stay at the Fairmont in the airport and our check in gate was right there. (United Air)

By the way, last year in June, after we got the boarding pass and on our way to check in at the gate with all our luggage, there are US immigration set up to check all of us there in the Vancouver airport. When we get to Seattle, we did have to do anything.

Just to be a little more clear. This is base on all our international flights.

Yes, you will be showing your passport before you are boarding all your internation flights including your connections.

When I stated that immigration at your destination......this will involving a form that you will have to fill out and turn it in to immiagration. It's came in 2 sections, they will keep 1/2 and the other 1/2 you turn back in when you leave that country.

Yes, it is the first city that you arrival to that country. And same thing back home in US except for Vancouver to Seattle last year.

Archived