hints for family that has never snorkel

We are going on our first ever cruise next year, have basically no ocean experience, but snorkeling sounds awful fun!! We will have 1 63 year old (good shape grandma), a 38 year old, and three kids ages 16, 15, and 9. All of us can swim. Should we pay for lessons? Is this an activity for all? Thanks for info.

We are going on our first ever cruise next year, have basically no ocean experience, but snorkeling sounds awful fun!! We will have 1 63 year old (good shape grandma), a 38 year old, and three kids ages 16, 15, and 9. All of us can swim. Should we pay for lessons? Is this an activity for all? Thanks for info.

Snorkeling is great for all. If you go on a snorkel tour (boat), they will typically give instructions while enroute.

In the meantime, reading these boards on how-helpful tos did a lot for me. I also bought scuba diving and snorkeling for dummies which had quite a bit of helpful information, particularly on how to defog your mask, clear the water from it, how to properly use flippers, and clear the water from the snorkel. that kind of information can make the difference between a fun snorkel and an exhausting one, as my husband would attest to!

You will absolutely love it!! Just relax and breathe.

One suggestion: if you plan on snorkeling even more than once, think about buying yourself a snorkel before you leave home. Much more sanitary than using the ones on the snorkel boats.

Believe me, once you try it, you'll continue to snorkel whenever you get the chance.

I'm 55 and never snorkeled before our cruise last month. As others have said, read these boards, you'll learn a lot.

We bought our own equipment, something I probably wouldn't have even thought of if I hadn't read it here. Living in central Florida, I was able to practice a little before we went and knowing that I was able to do it took away some of the anxiety for me. They did give instructions on the boat and the one thing the guide emphasized was to relax.

It was a great experience and I was so proud of myself for doing something I'd never done before.....will definitely look forward to doing it again one day.:)

The number one hint (so important it should be numbers two through ten as well) is ----- BUY YOUR OWN SNORKELS.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with hygiene, which is not at all of concern to me. It has everything to do with the little valve on the top of a good snorkel.

The snorkels available on almost any of the shore excursions will be just a tube, open on the top. Less experienced snorkelers will invariably get seawater into the snorkel, most especially if the sea is even a little bit rough, and you will spend all of your effort trying to keep your head in the right position.

A decent snorkel (I recommend OCEAN MASTER) will have a valve on the top of the snorkel which is nearly 100% effective in preventing any seawater from entering the snorkel. You can even go underwater and the snorkel will stay dry. Actually, these are called "dry snorkels." Just type "ocean master snorkel" in Google and you will see what I mean by the valve at the top.

I expect you will fall in love with snorkeling. Have a great time.

Bill

My wife couldn't swin before our last cruise. But learned just 6 months before we went because she finally wanted to be able to snorkel with me. She just couldn't believe it! It opened up a whole new world of enjoyment on our trips for her! (Me too, as now we can share the experience!)

I suggest that you buy your own equipment (as said earlier). Buy it, adjust it to your fit & practice in a pool once or twice. Not that its real hard, just so you become familiar with it and get through the initial learning curve.

You can buy equipment in lots of places we got ours at http://www.snorkel-mart , and no - I don't work there, just like the site & there equipment. We both have perscription goggles & I am very happy that I changed to these babys. I can see things so much clearer.

We take our fins too, but thats not for everyone.

Lots of luck, you are going to enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

You will love snorkeling. That being said, please buy a well fitting mask and a snorkel before the cruise from a local dive shop. Yes, you can get better pricing from an online retailer, but the fit of your mask will make or break your snorkeling experience. Long ago (10+ years), before I became a diver, I went on a snorkeling trip in Key Largo. Since I didn't have a mask or snorkel, I used theirs. The mask did not fit well, and was constantly filling up with water. I got so frustrated with this that I got back on the boat 15 minutes in and refused to continue. It is crucial to buy a mask that fits.

Fortunately, now I know how to clear my mask of water and love both diving & snorkeling (gotta do something 24hrs before flying). Simply breath in through your snorkel, then hold the top of your mask against your forehead while tilting your head back and exhaling through your nose. This will clear the water out.

And, read Cruise Critic for other pointers is a good idea...

Happy Snorkeling...:D

I agree with Billie, buy yourself a "Dry Snorkel". They are most definitely worth the extra cost. Also pick you up a bottle of "Sea Gold" anti-fog gel. It really does help your mask from fogging up - which can be aggravating. Follow the instructions to the "T" on the bottle using just a little. Also clean the inside glass of the mask if it's new with toothpaste before applying. And always apply the gel right before snorkeling. Have Fun!!!

Archived