Mendenhall Glacier - timing advice

rigs32

I will be in Juneau and have a tour book from 11-3 that day. I am also interested in visiting Mendenhall Glacier. Should I plan to go to the glacier before or after? How long should I plan to spend at the Glacier and is it worth it if I only have 2 hours or so? Thanks.

If you are just going to see the glacier and take some photos, 2 hours is enough time for that plus to see the film in the visitor center. If you want to do some hiking, you would probably need more time. Whether you visit Mendenhall before or after the tour depends on a couple of factors:

1) when does your ship arrive and depart the port?

2) which tour is it and could they pick you up or drop you off at the glacier visitor center? Whale watching tours do this a lot.

John

I will be in Juneau and have a tour book from 11-3 that day. I am also interested in visiting Mendenhall Glacier. Should I plan to go to the glacier before or after? How long should I plan to spend at the Glacier and is it worth it if I only have 2 hours or so? Thanks.

Mendenhall Glacier is not far from the port, but how would you get there. Are you planning to buy another tour to Mendenhall? If you just want to see the Glacier there are buses to and from Mendahall all day, don't remember the cost of the bus but not much. Yes, 2 hours is enough like another member stated earlier.

Don' know what ship you will be on. If RC, it don't leave until late you should have plenty of times.

We did a combo tour last time (Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier) with RC.

The cost of the bus was $12 pp round trip. It's possible to see the glacier and do just a bit of exloring in that short of time. We spent 3 hours hiking and another 1 hour tinkering around.

Caroline

Our ship is in port until 11 p.m. We have a whale watching excursion booked with Cpt. Larry from 3 - 6:30. I'd like to have him drop us off at the glacier after our whale watching, how late does the shuttle bus run?

it's been suggested that for late the viewer, prearrange a taxi...or have your cell phone to call one when you are ready to get back to the docks.

the shuttles won't be running when you are ready to come back.

When are you going EmmaRose? I am also on the whale watch with Capt Larry getting back at 6:30. I have arranged with them to drop me off at the glacier after the trip, which they will do for $6. I keep hearing different reports about when it gets dark in mid August when we are there, but the guy at Capt Larry's office said it should be light until 10:30 PM. We are going to pre arrange for a taxi to pick us up around 8:30 PM. Hope it all works out. The shuttle stops running at 6:30 I believe.

When are you going EmmaRose? I am also on the whale watch with Capt Larry getting back at 6:30. I have arranged with them to drop me off at the glacier after the trip, which they will do for $6. I keep hearing different reports about when it gets dark in mid August when we are there, but the guy at Capt Larry's office said it should be light until 10:30 PM. We are going to pre arrange for a taxi to pick us up around 8:30 PM. Hope it all works out. The shuttle stops running at 6:30 I believe.

NCmom with teeens: We are leaving on July 25th. I'm from NC too. We live in the Raleigh area.

Archived