Favorite Air Fresheners??

EastTexans2

Getting ready for our 3rd cruise and I have not found an air freshener for the cabin/bathroom that I like. Last cruise I took the Yankee Candle "car jells" and hung one in the bathroom and one in the cabin...........no smell! So tell me what has the best "scent" please.

Hmmm, I have never really run across a smelly cabin or bathroom on a cruise...

As for my favorite fragrances at home, most are candles... so that doesn't help. I also have one of the automatic fragrance thingamagigs that I LOOOVE... I guess it really depends on the odor you are trying to rid yourself of. I find that Oust and Febreze Air Effects air fresheners are very nice at not only masking odors, but getting rid of them. My favorite scents in those are Clean and Spring....

Getting ready for our 3rd cruise and I have not found an air freshener for the cabin/bathroom that I like. Last cruise I took the Yankee Candle "car jells" and hung one in the bathroom and one in the cabin...........no smell! So tell me what has the best "scent" please.

I had the same concern for our upcoming cruise in August. But I couldn't find anything that wasn't messy, expensive, too big or would travel well (ie no liquids).

Then one day I was in Lowes and I saw these small cans with a pop-top lid (like the size of a small cat food can) called California Scents - Spillproof Organic Air Fresheners. They even have a scrtch & sniff sticker on them to give you a preview of the specific fragrance.

Here's their web site:

http://www.californiascents.com/homeoffice_spillproof.htm

I like the Glade Neutralizer spray. I took it on my last cruise. It 'freshenes the air and eliminates odors'. I smoke, so I try to keep the cabin fresh so it won't knock the steward out when he comes into the cabin.;)

I get the small car air freshners - you know the ones that look like leaves, trees, etc. I like the French Vanilla. They usually come in packs of three (3). You can find them in the car section of any store. I got mine at Walmart. I use one for the bathroom and put one in the cabin. They seems to give just the right amount of fragrance.

I know that none of you mentioned them here BUT--

My neighbor's house burned TO THE GROUND last spring. She had only left for work, in the morning, about 15 minutes, when the woman next door went out for her paper. She saw smoke and called the Fire Department. They managed to control it but it was totally destroyed. They had three different professional groups investigate but all 3 determined it was due to a "plug in air freshener"! And they told her it is NOT that unusual. SO all of us try to spread the word.

I get the small car air freshners - you know the ones that look like leaves, trees, etc. I like the French Vanilla. They usually come in packs of three (3). You can find them in the car section of any store. I got mine at Walmart. I use one for the bathroom and put one in the cabin. They seems to give just the right amount of fragrance.

Ditto :)

I don't like scents that are too flowery, so I usually use vanilla, pomegranate or coconut (this choice surprised me, but I really like it).

I would second the california scents suggestion. You can control the amount of scent releasing by the way the pads are arranged in the little can.

I would second the california scents suggestion. You can control the amount of scent releasing by the way the pads are arranged in the little can.

Not to mention, anything you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot or Auto Zone ranks higher in my book than Bath & Body Works, Bed Bath & Beyond, the Yanke Candle store, etc. But that's just me.

Not to mention, anything you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot or Auto Zone ranks higher in my book than Bath & Body Works, Bed Bath & Beyond, the Yanke Candle store, etc. But that's just me.

LOL, you can buy those California scents at the Dollar Store, or any drug store.. .they aren't unique to Lowes, etc. I have one right now in my car, LOL... Monterey Vanilla :D

I will say the best car fragrance I have found has been from Yankee Candle... but that is just me. They last forever and have a variety of non-gagging scents :D

I will say the best car fragrance I have found has been from Yankee Candle... but that is just me. They last forever and have a variety of non-gagging scents :D

Seriously though, they should put a sign at the door of those candle/bath places:

Please Check X Chromosomes at the Door Before Entering - The Management

A third vote here for the Bath and Body Works sprays. I generally hate the smell of the Glade-like sprays but these are really nice and the cans are tiny. You can get them in all sorts of scents - everything from vanilla to floral to fruity. My favorite is one called Kitchen Spice if you can find it - smells like sugar cookies baking. It's very concentrated stuff - only use one or two quick sprays - not like you would a regular kind of spray air freshener.

I decided against taking one on the cruise last year and never needed it, though. I just use them at home.

I always get a Yankee candle PLUG IN. I brought seaside holiday with us the first time and that has been our cruise smell ever since. They discontinued it last year but I stocked up for the next 5 years!

You can smell it during the year, close your eyes and be back at sea!

But, I always use a variety of LYSOL or CLOROX spray. It serves to freshen the air as well as to sanitize the cabin. As soon as I arrive in

my cabin, I spray every possible surface down with a disinfectant spray

in an effort to stop the spread of any possible germs that may have been

left behind by preivous cruisers. I figure the disinfectant spray can serve

two purposes, eliminating odors and killing germs. I give the room cabin

and bathroom a very good spray down including all surfaces, door handles, counter tops, even the bathroom floors...and then leave the cabin and allow it time to dry and the scent to fade a bit before returning....

Germaphobic? No, not really, but after reading so many stories of illness

being spread on ships as in other public places, I figure it is one small step

I can take to try and prevent myself or others from becoming ill.

And yes, I do the same when staying in a hotel room! :)

A third vote here for the Bath and Body Works sprays. ... It's very concentrated stuff - only use one or two quick sprays - not like you would a regular kind of spray air freshener.

Here's a fourth vote for the Bath & Body Works spray. One spray will take care of the small cabin for us. This year we're taking the Pear scent. I also like the Linen one (and Vanilla, Cinnamon - the new Pineapple is very nice)

I took a Yankee Candle Co car jar (it's meant to be hung on the rear view mirror, it's not gel or anything) and it smelled wonderful. Even the steward asked what it was. I think it was fresh linen or something. I always lean toward vanilla, coconut, or fresh linen smells.

I also bring along a "Lysol" Spray . I also spray everything in my cabin after I arrive to try and help keep the germs down. I spray phone,doorknobs, bedding,curtains etc. Never have gotten ill on the ships after 60 cruises. So will continue to use. Why take a chance with so many people on board. IKE

Archived