Explorer of the Seas w/ 4yo & 10 yo-???'s

prncssjyf

Hi all!

This will be our 1st cruise, we are going for 12 nights on the Explorer of the Seas to the Exotic Southern Caribbean 2/24/08. My husband and I are going with our entire family (both sides) for a total of a group of 22. Our son will be 4 and our daughter will be 10 1/2 at the time of sailing. We are staying in a Royal Family Suite, so we should have enough room & we are bringing our nanny to help watch our kids, especially at night or if we want to go on excursions.

I do have a few questions & would welcome any suggestions!

-Did you like the Aquanout Program? Did it keep the kids busy & interested?

-Are there any "don't miss" excursions for the kids?

-Personal experiences on the Explorer of the Seas? Anything to avoid with the kids? Anything not to miss with the kids?

-Does anyone know how high the glass is on the balcony on deck 9? or is it a standard height?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with a new cruiser! I have gained a wealth of knowledge from browsing through these boards! And some very helpful hints that never would have crossed my mind. I apologize if I am posting redundant questions. Please feel free to email me with answers or tips if you don't want to repost: jfariello@gmail.com

Jen

Hi all!

This will be our 1st cruise, we are going for 12 nights on the Explorer of the Seas to the Exotic Southern Caribbean 2/24/08. My husband and I are going with our entire family (both sides) for a total of a group of 22. Our son will be 4 and our daughter will be 10 1/2 at the time of sailing. We are staying in a Royal Family Suite, so we should have enough room & we are bringing our nanny to help watch our kids, especially at night or if we want to go on excursions.

I do have a few questions & would welcome any suggestions!

-Did you like the Aquanout Program? Did it keep the kids busy & interested?

-Are there any "don't miss" excursions for the kids?

-Personal experiences on the Explorer of the Seas? Anything to avoid with the kids? Anything not to miss with the kids?

-Does anyone know how high the glass is on the balcony on deck 9? or is it a standard height?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with a new cruiser! I have gained a wealth of knowledge from browsing through these boards! And some very helpful hints that never would have crossed my mind. I apologize if I am posting redundant questions. Please feel free to email me with answers or tips if you don't want to repost: jfariello@gmail.com

Jen

Just to help you out a little, your kids won't be in the "Aquanots" they will be in Adventure Ocean. AquaTOTS is for the toddlers uner 36 months ;)

Here are some of the Adventure Ocean compasses for your 4 year old's group, I don't have one for the 10 year old yet, still waiting. But you can see the types of activities they have listed here for other ships and give you a good guide to what's available on the Explorer.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Royal%20Caribean%20AO%20Compass/

For the younger age, don't miss the Pirate Parade or any of the talent shows, under the big top shows or any show the KIDS put on.

This is my kids (ages 3 and 7) on our balcony on Freedom. All of the RCCL balconies are this tall. So just use common sense and they will be fine. We made a rule that the kids were never to be on the balcony without one of us. No standing on the chairs. And we would never leave them alone in the cabin for any reason, even to use the bathroom, one of us was always present in the cabin.

But as you can see, the railing is HIGH.

IMG_0738.jpg

On the RCCL board there is a thread entitled "Everything Explorer of the Seas", there are pictures there of your RFS. So check there for actual pictures.

And lastly, maybe you should list the ports the ship is visiting? Then some others can suggest what excursions not to miss. :D

Thank you so much for your info!!!

We are visiting:

-St. Thomas

-St. Marteen

-Dominica

-Antigua

-St. Kitt's (we don't necessarily have to get off in Antigua or St. Kitts, my husband and I spent a week in Antigua & a week at the Four Season in Nevis for our honeymoon)

-Puerto Rico

-Barbados

I really appreciate your expertise & suggestions! I'm going to run out of paper printing all this info!

Can you suggest some kid friendly excursions and maybe some excursions just for my husband and I?

Jen

Thank you so much for your info!!!

We are visiting:

-St. Thomas

-St. Marteen

-Dominica

-Antigua

-St. Kitt's (we don't necessarily have to get off in Antigua or St. Kitts, my husband and I spent a week in Antigua & a week at the Four Season in Nevis for our honeymoon)

-Puerto Rico

-Barbados

I really appreciate your expertise & suggestions! I'm going to run out of paper printing all this info!

Can you suggest some kid friendly excursions and maybe some excursions just for my husband and I?

Jen

My cruises have been to other ports than those above with the exception of St.Marting and St.Thomas....when we go to St.Thomas we always go to Coral World... http://www.coralworldvi.com/ We don't spend all day there, just a quick excursion in the am or afternoon.

At St.Martin, we have been on "Under the Two Flags Tour" nice to see the island, but might not be great fun for the kids. And we have been to Orient Beach, beautiful beach. One end is a clothing optional area but the kids didn't see more than a few topless bathers (think Discovery Channel not Playboy channel...lol)

St.Martin also has a dolphin excursion. My kids LOVE those. We haven't done them in St.Martin but we have a few times in other ports

Maybe others can give you suggestions on

-Dominica

-Antigua

-St. Kitt's

-Puerto Rico

-Barbados

Archived