freeport and nassau anyone?

lupee13

ok so going to free port and nassau...spendind a whole day in nassau and only like half a day in free port and i'm not sure what to do!

i've heard mixed reactions on whether to book excursions with carnival or go out exploring on my own...the family really wants to swim with dolphins and go snorkeling and explore around nassau (especially see atlantis hotel)

anybody have opinion on if free port/ nassau is better for swimming with dolphins vs. snorkeling?

thanks in advance!

FREEPORT: I went to UNEXPO in 2001 for the Dolphin Encounter and it was fabulous. I chose them because their main concern is the welfare and treatment of the dolphin, not the tourist's money. They specialize in marine biology and sancutary and have their own site (a tender ride away) where the dolphins are free to come in and out of the bay on their own. This is not a circus atmosphere as is the case with many places where they overwork the animals and mob them with tourists which I also important to me. Because of their freedom, there is a chance they may not swim in so it's a gamble, but I've never heard of one instance when they haven't shown up. My daughter was too young to do the dolphin swim; at the time the minimum age was 12, so we just did the encounter but the swim looked fabulous. Be sure to check age limitations where ever you go. I heard the dolphin encounter in Nassau was great also, but since we had done this already and decided to try something different this year.

NASSAU: We had a very limited amount of time in Nassau when we cruised there in the beginning of the month so we chose the Pearl Island Treasure Hunt. Our group had a blast, but there are some mixed reviews on this. I'm unsure if your ship has this excursion, but on NCL this included a ferry ride over with complimentary drink, bbq on the island, snorkel gear and about 45 minute snorkel for conch shells and/or oysters with real pearls (harder to find but out there), and a stingray pen which we were able to access since our ship's group were the only ones there that day. You also have access to kayaks and paddleboats, but we were there such a short time, we couldn't do it all. It's something different and the kids had a great time - they got shells for all 5 of us. (Four people out of approximately 25-30 found the oysters). I can suggest that you do not do this excursion if your seeking a more elaborate snorkeling or interaction excursion such as the others mentioned in the reviews. We did it because our time was so limited and the kids thought it would be great.

Just remember, the ship will wait for you if you're on one of their excursions and you are running late but they will leave without you if you are off on your own!

Enjoy!!! :)

We would definitely do something through the cruise lines in Freeport. We are adventuresome and thought we would have fun on our own there. NOT! the two things that got high ratings from fellow cruisers were the Jeep Adventure and the Junkanoo beach party. We happened to be in Nassau on their Independence Day so most of the shops and things were closed that day. thank goodness we had booked a room at comfort suites and had access to Atlantis for the day. We loved it. Too much to see in just one day! If we hadnt done that we would have snorkeled with Stuarts Cove and independent tour company. Look them up on the net :)

Do the cruiseline excursion in Freeport for sure.

The only thing to do on your own there is take a cab to the beach and shopping at Our Lucaya 20-30 minutes from the industrial docking area.

If you have a full day in Nassau there is absolutely NO reason to book an overpriced ship excursion, as any excursion on the boat is available cheaper a few yards from the ships gangplank, in the Welcome Center.

Any of the boat related excursions leave from the pier, mere feet outside the Welcome Center that you must pass through.

Any of the land excursions leave from the stands right in front of the Welcome Center.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a full day in Nassau there is absolutely NO reason to book an overpriced ship excursion, as any excursion on the boat is available cheaper a few yards from the ships gangplank, in the Welcome Center.

Bill

Well, as I mentioned, the best reason to beware of this is that the ship will leave without you if you don't return in time. If you cruise the boards you will find many horror stories about this. I agree with Bill for the financial reasons, but in my opinion, it will be way more expensive if you happen to miss that boat! :cool:

Archived