Port Side Mini Suite (AF) or AFT Cabin (BA) - NCL Pearl to Alaska?

Yankee123

We are planning an Alaska cruise for 2008. DW and I have finally agreed on the cruise line and ship - NCL Pearl.

I have read in a lot of reviews here on CC, to book a balcony facing port side for Alaska cruises. I have also read on CC that AFT cabins give you an amazing view in general for all cruises.

What does everyone recommend here, an AFT cabin for Alaska, or a mid ship Mini Suite on the port side? I must say, we will have an infant with us also.

Thanks in advance to all.

as you are viewing glacier bay, get up on the top deck as you come up to the glacier. the stillness of the waters/glacier as the ship comes near are not to be beat. also, as the ship leaves glacier bay, it's going faster then it did coming in. in your aft balcony you will have nice views but you will miss others. plan to spend some time up on deck then go back down to get the views as you leave. for the rest of the time, aft should be outstanding.

I am new to cruising and find all these new terms confusing. Is there a thread somewhere that explains all the different rooms and the advantages and disadvantages?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but since there are both northbound and southbound cruises, wouldn't you want a different side of the ship depending which direction you were traveling? Thanks

we were talking about while cruising through glacier bay.

there are, also, round-trips cruises.

while cruising glacier bay (and i hear it works for hubbard) the naturalists or park rangers give a talk about what you are seeing. all the views they talk about are on the port side. plus the ships stay over on the left/port side of the inlet. for glacier bay, they enter the inlet and cruse up to the glacier.

for the cruise, except for a small time in open sea, there are views on both sides of the ship. plus the ship doesn't get close to land, you need a good pair of binoculars to see anything.

I am new to cruising and find all these new terms confusing. Is there a thread somewhere that explains all the different rooms and the advantages and disadvantages?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but since there are both northbound and southbound cruises, wouldn't you want a different side of the ship depending which direction you were traveling? Thanks

And since the original poster was talking about the Pearl, that is a round trip out of Seattle.

We were in a mini on the starboard side (yes, didn't know any better at the time we booked it). Either a mini on the port side of an aft would be great. There are just quite a few less cabins aft, so getting one might be tricky.

Pete

Archived