Help me choose the right stingray excurision

harrynterry

I want very much to feed the rays. I am "fluffy" with a not so great knee. I have been told you can walk down steps off the back of the boat to get into the water. Can anyone tell me if all the boats are done this way to make it easier for people or do I need to be looking for a specific company? Also I am interested more in standing on the sand bar than the snorkeling because we have a couple of others in the party not so fond of the water and nature as I am. What should I be looking for in our excursion? Thanks to you all in advance for your help!!

ok, help is on the way........

You need to look for a boat that has stairs.......

I have a mother that has had 3 knee replacements (sorry to say none has worked)

and I was just there last week and I'm starting to have knee problems....

Stingray City can be great look for a trip that goes there first thing, stairs on the boat not STEPS....(ladder) most of the time what you need on a catamaran only.....

Please do not book with the cruise ship they are to full and you will feel like a cow in a cattle drive (trust me been there done that)....

I want very much to feed the rays. I am "fluffy" with a not so great knee. I have been told you can walk down steps off the back of the boat to get into the water. Can anyone tell me if all the boats are done this way to make it easier for people or do I need to be looking for a specific company? Also I am interested more in standing on the sand bar than the snorkeling because we have a couple of others in the party not so fond of the water and nature as I am. What should I be looking for in our excursion? Thanks to you all in advance for your help!!

I had the same issues...I have terrrible arthritis in one knee, and sometimes I can't even get it to bend...and I am "fluffy" myself. :)

We've always used Captain Marvin's and I've never had a problem getting in our out of the water. The boats they use have a platform that runs along the back of the boat, and there is a ladder that drops down in the water (from there). I want to say there are 4 steps or so, two or three which are in the water.

The first time we were in GC, stingray sandbar was packed, so we were in an area that was a bit deeper (we were on a later excursion-I'd probably try and do the earliest one possible). I'm 5'1" and the water was up to my chin. The other times we've been there, we were on land vacations and we always visit the sandbar when there are no ships in port...so usually there aren't many other boats. One time, we were the only boat and it was amazing. That time, the water was about to our knees.

For the most part, you can pretty much count on being in shallower water when at the sandbar, but a lot depends on the weather, and how many other boats are at the sandbar.

I actually prefer being in water that's a little deeper (maybe waist or above). I like to snorkel along an look at the stingrays as they glide underneath me.

http://www.captainmarvins.com

:p

I am quite fluffy also and have had a knee operation & arthritis. We opted to go with moby dick tours and it was great. We *gently* steped off the boat into about 3 feet of water with steps. It was not crowded like the other boats coming from the ship. I am so glad I found this on the boards and am going with them again in Oct on NCLs Pearl. Check out the site and LOOK AT the pictures. I did not snorkel there. They do take you to a snorkel site aftrewards on a reef if you want to go but some of us just stayed on the boat. www.mobydicktours.com Have a blast!!

I also encourage Captain Marvin! We had quite a few large people in our group, and none of them had much trouble. We were definitley one of the smaller groups as far as number of people, and had a great experience for that reason, as well. Plus, he only charges $35!

We also used captain marvins last summer.

You can call them to ask questions and explain your situation, perhaps they can cater to your needs.

They have an early tour 8:30 a.m.---- way

before the ship tour with 200 people come out!

We were in waist high water, with other small

boats around us. We enjoyed our day!!

Archived