Ruins Question

cruisin1982

Need some help. What ruins is the recommended? Choices are Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Mayan(4Hours) or Altun Ha in Belize(4Hours).

Both are the same price the Belize also has a boat ride included.

Thanks

Mike

One thing I have noticed is that the ruins sites are unique....we've been to Chichen-Itza (sp?) and plan to go to Chacchoben in 2 weeks and know that the architecture is different.

My recommendation....think about what other excursions you may want to take at each of these ports and then do 1 port ruins, the other something else. If it was my choice, I would probably do both...I am hispanic american and would take every chance I got to visit ruins.

I've gone to Altun Ha and enjoyed the boat trip and the trip to the ruins. It's a tropical rain forest setting for the ruins in Belize. I haven't been to the ruins in Majahaul (Costa Maya). I talked with several on my last cruise and they enjoyed the tour of those ruins. As the previous poster stated, all ruins are unique.

Enjoy your trip,

Dave

I've been to both ruins. The major difference I think is you can climb the ruins in Belize. There is a very steep rock staircase in the back with a wooden railing. The bus ride in Mexico was shorter, along fairly well maintained roads. In Belize, the roads were very narrow and mostly dirt, making for a bumpy ride. The river cruise in Belize was okay, but the boat was open-air (no cover), so if it is hot or rainy, prepare accordingly. We saw a few small crocodile, parrots, manatee and a monkey or two. IMO if you are physically-challenged at all, take the Mexican tour. It is a less lot less taxing. Remember to take sunscreen, bug-repellant and water on either one.

Depending on when you are going,

I have both of those excursions booked for early September.

(I couldn't tell since your cruise critic countdown clock isn't working. Do they EVER work anymore?)

Bill

We are going October 7th. I didn't see anything else in Belize that we want to do thats why we were going to do the ruins. In costa maya we just plan on shopping so we may decide to do both. Thanks for all of you help. Good cruising to all. This will be our first cruise.

Mike

We are going October 7th. I didn't see anything else in Belize that we want to do thats why we were going to do the ruins. In costa maya we just plan on shopping so we may decide to do both. Thanks for all of you help. Good cruising to all. This will be our first cruise.

Mike

We are doing the ruins in Belize, since there wasn't any other excursions there that interested us.

We decided to try the ruins in Costa Maya after reading hundreds of rave reviews about David and Ivan's tour of Chaccobben.....

We only booked the ruins tour with no lunch, so that we will have time to get back to Majuhual and check out the beaches, bars and restaurants there.

I'll definitely be posting a review the week we return.

Bill

Archived