Golden - need recent info, reviews are sketchy

happy cruzer

Hi, I am thinking about booking the Golden this November. We loved the Grand out of Galveston.

When I read the reviews, they are mostly negative and pretty brief. Does any recent cruiser have info to share on:

food quality in the dining rooms

service in the dinings rooms

how was breakfast and lunch

do they keep all the pools and hot tubs maintained and open?

Are the sports area open most of the time.

How was the entertainement? especially in the lounges.

How crowded does the ship feel?

We have been to the Mex Riv before so we really will spend alot of time eating and dancing. The ship and the service will be important.

Thanks for any advice!

We have been on the Golden 3 times now and no complaints whatsoever! The food is standard Princess food in the Dining rooms as on most ships we have been on. Desert Rose Steakhouse is very good and have never tried Sabatinis. The pools are well maintained and open, as are the hot tubs, unless there is an occasional breakdown. The Sports area can't comment on but as I walked by they looked open! Although it is a big ship, there are times when it doesn't feel crowded, shows being the exception. Lots of little nooks and crannies to hang out and as on most princess ships, chair hogs abound! If you liked the Grand, you will like the Golden.

Enjoy your cruise.

Melody

Hi, I am thinking about booking the Golden this November. We loved the Grand out of Galveston.

When I read the reviews, they are mostly negative and pretty brief. Does any recent cruiser have info to share on:

food quality in the dining rooms

service in the dinings rooms

how was breakfast and lunch

do they keep all the pools and hot tubs maintained and open?

Are the sports area open most of the time.

How was the entertainement? especially in the lounges.

How crowded does the ship feel?

We have been to the Mex Riv before so we really will spend alot of time eating and dancing. The ship and the service will be important.

Thanks for any advice!

We sailed the Golden in April and are sailing her again in October. We enjoyed the ship. We have a pretty long review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=548400

To answer your specific questions:

Dining: Food quality was good and service was excellent

Pools & Hot tubs were well maintained and there was always some open at night (they rotated). The Terrace Pool was always nice and warm. The roof of the Calypso Reef pool was open much of the time.

Entertainment: Didn't really pay attention

The ship never really felt crowded. The Grand Class ships absorb passengers well.

Hope this helps!

We sailed the Golden out of New Orleans over the holidays 2006-2007 and had a wonderful time.

I agree, the food is what you expect from Princess. The breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms was delightful as usual, not a long wait, if any.

In fact, everything from the entertainment - which will probably be different entertainers when you sail - to the pools and decks, and service level, was up to Princess standards.

We really enjoyed our trip.

I don't think you have anything to worry about - if you find what is typical of Princess to your liking. We do, and we were not at all disappointed.

She is a lovely ship!

We were on the Golden in June. Staff was wonderful. It was Alaska so pools were not used as much but my girls did swim and had no complaints.

Most of my family ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room when possible. Food was good and service was great.

I was on the Grand 2 years ago and found everything very much the same on the Golden.

When you look at a review you need to break it down to it's finest points...

Basically it comes down to four things: the ship, the company, the staff and the individual traveller.

Ship

Is the ship design good? Was the design effecient? Can you get from point A to point B easily. Enough room for everyone? Does it feel crowded. Is the mattress in good shape. Etc.

Company

Tickets arrive on time. Did you get the room you booked. Was everything done as promised. Did the ship go to the promised ports? Was the transport from the airport done promptly. Food as promised. Etc.

Staff

Did the staff keep the ship in top shape? Was the water in the pool. Did they look out for your safety. Did the deliver your food hot. Did they clean the table. Did the cruise staff make your cruise fun.

Individual Traveller

Did I follow the rules and guidelines and are my expectations reasonable. Did I express my preferences clearly. Was I treated with proper respect.

Then you fall into all the "other" stuff. People complaining about their tablemates in the review instead of having simply asked to move. People complaining about chair hogs instead of simply clearing the chair and giving everything in to the lost and found. And the inevitable "perks" complaints about something not being there or not being perfect (What I call the Pareto Principle complaints)

I love reading the worst reviews first, to see if they are really complaining about something that the company, the ship or the staff did wrong. Complaints from people who don't like traditional dining and complaints from people who don't like anytime dining. (You get both!) Complaints about not being able to get the cabin steward during their off-hours. Complaints about the temperature of the pool, the other guests and even a particular service person. I've seen people complain about the spa (it's not actually run by the cruise line), the weather, the excursions (again, not run by the cruise line), and even the price of alcohol.

The last time we were on the Golden the cruise staff had all be rotated off to other ships and the atmosphere was different and just not as fun. Remember, most of the staff won't be there by the time you go, they change some of the staff every time they get to port.

We have had our share of mishaps. I got slapped on my back so hard by a tablemate that I almost went flying. We were on a ship that we call "the garbage scow" because of the repugnant smell (not Princess!) and we have had two incidents of discrimination that we had to point out to management. Heck, one night we couldn't get the waiter to get us wine glasses and eventually I stood up, walked over to the service area and took them myself. You should have seen how fast the maitre d' managed to come over to the table after seeing me rifling through a service area. But for the most part these are all small things and they shouldn't colour your view of a cruise.

Thanks for the help. I do agree that reviews are very subjective but they are still very valuable especially the really recent ones. Some ships do tend to have recurring problems. since I don't like waiting in line, I do like to check that.

So now I know the Golden would meet my expectations. And of course now I am thinking about the Dawn instead because it leaves on Sunday to the Mex Riv. Adn I think it's easier/cheaper to get from the air port to the ship in San Diego??

Any thoughts on the Dawn? Sorry to be a pain, but this is very helpful and I'll always pay back with reviews and help when I can. Thanks!

Archived